Clockwork Angels Is Finished!!!!!

presto123

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 26 2011, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 26 2011, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 26 2011, 12:52 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 25 2011, 11:42 PM)
All of you so called diehard Rush fans who will try and get the album way early on the Internet through leaks and illegal downloads are TOOLS.

Shame on you!

1287.gif

Call it what you want, but if I see that it's been posted somewhere before the release date, I'm going to download it and enjoy the hell out of it. Then on the release day, I'm going to buy it on CD and whatever other format they decide to play with, like the special edition MVI of Snakes & Arrows they put out. Yep, bought it twice. That's how much illegal downloads hurt the band when die hard fans do it.

Caravan/BU2B? Downloaded it, then bought the tracks on iTunes, then bought the CD, then bought the vinyl (albeit on eBay, so it doesn't count toward the "the band doesn't suffer" argument). Then, I'll buy those two songs again as part of Clockwork Angels. Twice, probably. Three times if it's on vinyl, CD and MVI if they do that again.

We die hard fans are the only ones bands don't have to worry about. They get our money no matter what - and more than once per album, oftentimes.

goodpost.gif I always buy the album after I download the leak, even if I don't like it.

I don't go that far. If the album is crap I delete it and move on with my life. I'm not spending money on a sub-standard product. The music industry has long enjoyed an advantage that other mediums don't have: they could, until recently, restrict preview access. Think about that for a minute:

Magazines, you could go to the newsstand and read the whole thing before buying it.

Newspapers, the same. You can read them before buying.

Books, they have (er... had? laugh.gif) whole stores devoted to them. You could go in and read as much as you like. And libraries! Big buildings where you could go in and get books to take home! For free!

Television, free. Watch as much as you want.

But music? They had that locked down from the beginning. Radio stations were only allowed to play one or two songs (or more, depending on your popularity) from each album and if people wanted more music, they had to buy it without any way to preview the rest of the album. And man, did we get burned. Not one of us can say that we never bought an album based on the strength of a radio single only to find out that the rest of the music sucked.

The internet changed all that. And it's the best thing that ever happened to consumers of music, which necessarily means that it's the worst thing that could have happened to the billion-dollar multi-national record conglomerates.

Screw those guys. Just like books, magazines and newspapers, I'll pay for what I feel is worth paying for... and I've spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years buying media in many forms. I'm not going to apologize for not playing by their rules when their rules are designed to make me pay for something that doesn't have any guarantee of quality.

You wouldn't spend $100 on a couch without sitting on it first... I wouldn't spend $20 on a CD without hearing it first.

The 90 second preview at iTunes is fine, but it's a recent thing and the industry fought it pretty hard. Gee, I wonder why. It's also not available for all music because not all music is available at iTunes. Services like Spotify help a lot, too. You can listen to as much as you want for $10/month and if you want to buy the CD for the superior quality, you can. But not every artist is on Spotify, either.

goodpost.gif I've never thought it about that way. I might just start being a mega-pirater! 1287.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Dec 26 2011, 04:36 PM)
Rushgoober,

Please go away and play with your smilies and little squeaky jesus dolls...

Nobody else is interested.

Sure, I'll get right on that. eyesre4.gif

http://www.emotty.com/images/emoticons/289.png

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 26 2011, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 26 2011, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 26 2011, 12:52 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 25 2011, 11:42 PM)
All of you so called diehard Rush fans who will try and get the album way early on the Internet through leaks and illegal downloads are TOOLS.

Shame on you!

1287.gif

Call it what you want, but if I see that it's been posted somewhere before the release date, I'm going to download it and enjoy the hell out of it. Then on the release day, I'm going to buy it on CD and whatever other format they decide to play with, like the special edition MVI of Snakes & Arrows they put out. Yep, bought it twice. That's how much illegal downloads hurt the band when die hard fans do it.

Caravan/BU2B? Downloaded it, then bought the tracks on iTunes, then bought the CD, then bought the vinyl (albeit on eBay, so it doesn't count toward the "the band doesn't suffer" argument). Then, I'll buy those two songs again as part of Clockwork Angels. Twice, probably. Three times if it's on vinyl, CD and MVI if they do that again.

We die hard fans are the only ones bands don't have to worry about. They get our money no matter what - and more than once per album, oftentimes.

goodpost.gif I always buy the album after I download the leak, even if I don't like it.

I don't go that far. If the album is crap I delete it and move on with my life. I'm not spending money on a sub-standard product. The music industry has long enjoyed an advantage that other mediums don't have: they could, until recently, restrict preview access. Think about that for a minute:

Magazines, you could go to the newsstand and read the whole thing before buying it.

Newspapers, the same. You can read them before buying.

Books, they have (er... had? laugh.gif) whole stores devoted to them. You could go in and read as much as you like. And libraries! Big buildings where you could go in and get books to take home! For free!

Television, free. Watch as much as you want.

But music? They had that locked down from the beginning. Radio stations were only allowed to play one or two songs (or more, depending on your popularity) from each album and if people wanted more music, they had to buy it without any way to preview the rest of the album. And man, did we get burned. Not one of us can say that we never bought an album based on the strength of a radio single only to find out that the rest of the music sucked.

The internet changed all that. And it's the best thing that ever happened to consumers of music, which necessarily means that it's the worst thing that could have happened to the billion-dollar multi-national record conglomerates.

Screw those guys. Just like books, magazines and newspapers, I'll pay for what I feel is worth paying for... and I've spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years buying media in many forms. I'm not going to apologize for not playing by their rules when their rules are designed to make me pay for something that doesn't have any guarantee of quality.

You wouldn't spend $100 on a couch without sitting on it first... I wouldn't spend $20 on a CD without hearing it first.

The 90 second preview at iTunes is fine, but it's a recent thing and the industry fought it pretty hard. Gee, I wonder why. It's also not available for all music because not all music is available at iTunes. Services like Spotify help a lot, too. You can listen to as much as you want for $10/month and if you want to buy the CD for the superior quality, you can. But not every artist is on Spotify, either.

I find it hard to disagree with almost anything you said. It IS a lot of money to invest in an unknown product, and you make some great comparative arguments. I personally rarely spend $15 or whatever on a new CD unless I know what I'm getting into. I'll make an exception for the new Rush CD, even if I end up not liking it, but there are very few bands I'll do that for. I'll definitely buy the new Astra CD without hearing a note.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 26 2011, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (Terrapin @ Dec 26 2011, 05:36 PM)
Rushgoober,

I am. I like 'goobs. Don't think you're speaking for everyone.

Yeah goobers OK in my book. We all know how he feels about the new stuff and I don't agree but he is a good poster none the less.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 27 2011, 12:27 AM)
Rushgoober,

Yeah goobers OK in my book. We all know how he feels about the new stuff and I don't agree but he is a good poster none the less.

TY! smile.gif

Yeah, I know I have insufferable opinions sometimes, but I genuinely like pretty much everyone here - it's mostly just fun banter to me! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 27 2011, 07:36 AM)
Rushgoober,

TY! smile.gif

Yeah, I know I have insufferable opinions sometimes, but I genuinely like pretty much everyone here - it's mostly just fun banter to me! trink39.gif

he said it ! "Goober Likes me!"

653.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jan 1 2012, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 27 2011, 07:36 AM)
Rushgoober,

TY! smile.gif

he said it ! "Goober Likes me!"

653.gif

well Hector, you know I like YOU - you're a pal! yes.gif hug2.gif trink39.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 2 2012, 12:30 AM)
QUOTE (Terrapin @ Dec 26 2011, 07:36 PM)
Rushgoober,

dazed025.gif

it's all good. that post was pretty funny, actually. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 2 2012, 08:34 AM)
Rushgoober,

dazed025.gif

You have Squeaky Jesus Dolls?

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jan 2 2012, 08:03 AM)
Rushgoober,

dazed025.gif

no, but i'm in the market for some tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2012, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jan 2 2012, 08:03 AM)
Rushgoober,

dazed025.gif

no, but i'm in the market for some tongue.gif

Oh Ok, Just go to:

www.Squeezethelord.com

dazed025.gif