• Exit... Stage Left
    • Grace Under Pressure Live
    • A Show Of Hands
    • Rush In Rio
    • R30
    • Snakes & Arrows Live
    • Working Men
    • Time Machine: Live In Cleveland 2011

I finally had a moment to sit down and watch all of the Time Machine show and it was really exciting and fun to see. I was thinking afterwards that this one and Rush In Rio were the most exciting, but that R30 was technically the one I thought was the "best" for sound and visuals. And then I thought, hey, good poll topic.

Voted Exit. If there was one of ATWAS I would go for that. I cant even stand any of the modern ones due to Geddy's vocals. Just so painful for me to listen to him strain every single note.

ASOH is old at this point, but even then he sounded weird on that. His vocals were already starting to decline and he sounded like a robot on it. Very strange sound.

So next to Exit I would go for GUP.

I voted Time Machine because it's visually appealing editing wise, but as I always believed, it would have one of the better mixes out of all the DVDs if it had the Different Stages/R30 sound. The first 3 videos they did (Exit through ASOH) come after Time Machine for me.

I'd definitely love to see an official release of A View of the Palace one day...plus the Shoreline pro-shot during the Presto tour and the alleged pro-shot from the RTB tour that hasn't surfaced yet. Release those 3 pro-shots in Replay x3 Deux? That'll be a great idea.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Dec 18 2011, 11:41 PM)
I'd definitely love to see an official release of A View of the Palace one day...plus the Shoreline pro-shot during the Presto tour and the alleged pro-shot from the RTB tour that hasn't surfaced yet. Release those 3 pro-shots in Replay x3 Deux? That'll be a great idea.

yes.gif

It's kind of heartbreaking that there is no pro-shot video of live shows between ASOH and Rio. I missed them during that time and would love to see one of those shows.

I vote Time Machine which edged out ASOH by playing one of my very favorite songs.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Dec 19 2011, 04:09 AM)

yes.gif

It's kind of heartbreaking that there is no pro-shot video of live shows between ASOH and Rio. I missed them during that time and would love to see one of those shows.

I vote Time Machine which edged out ASOH by playing one of my very favorite songs.

You should watch A View from the Palace yes.gif

CP tour, pro-shot

For me it's R30 just because I love the song selection and the R30 Overture is simply amazing. Well that and...

I STILL haven't seen the Time Machine Blu Ray because I ordered it on Amazon and it's still saying preorder. I think it's because they had a problem with their stock. And since I missed the Cleveland show because of an illness (still have the tickets as a sad reminder!) I haven't been in a hurry to see it, so my answer could change!

But the R30 Overture...just simply amazing. Up until then I hated medleys.

I chose the TM dvd but I do like the crowd scenes in RIR a lot. I feel Rio has the slightly better set list as well. I am glad that they chose to do the Cleveland DVD and the sound quality is great. 2.gif trink39.gif

Time Machine! Old Rush is back baby!! Ok except for the singing .. Lol

My biggest beef with ASOH is visually. It's not very interesting to watch start to finish because Geddy is playing a black bass wearing a gray suit/jacket, Alex is playing a black guitar (or a white guitar in some songs) wearing a dark suit, they don't switch instruments or wardrobe like they do now and it's kinda dull. Not much color to be seen other than the lighting/screen images/cartoons during certain songs.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 19 2011, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Dec 19 2011, 04:09 AM)

yes.gif

You should watch A View from the Palace yes.gif

CP tour, pro-shot

I have A Mountain View pro-shot DVD from a 1990 California Presto show that's pretty good.

It is interesting however how much more excited and fun they seem to have now compared to that bootleg concert. The playing and performance is fine, but I don't think Alex or Geddy smile or goof around once, it's all business. Maybe they were having a bad night or something.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Dec 23 2011, 06:29 PM)
gotta go with ESL. I love watching all the others but ESL is from my favorite era of Rush.

the only gripe I have with ESL (the video) is the slightly muddy sound, the hightly edited setlist, and that it looks like they forgot to turn the lights on the stage sometimes...it's too dark in many parts which actually gives it a mysterious atmosphere, especially for songs like By Tor and Xanadu

On the other hand, GUP is the exact opposite...that video is lit so brightly it's almost distracting

Keep hoping that there must be additional ESL footage,and that the band would do a Led Zeppelin type package. Agree with the last post about GUP, seems to be some sort of soft focus as well. All DVD's look and sound better when played through my new Blu Ray player.

I only wish they had recorded the Signals tour as that was the best visually and sound wise. Alas it was between the two ESL and GUP.

By the way I'm in the audience on ASOH at Birmingham NEC UK.

Went with Rush in Rio because of the extras. All of RUSH's live stuff is fun to watch, but that RinR documentary disc is gold to me. It's up there with BTLS' dinner scene.

Snakes and Arrows live for me. IMO it's the best edited and mixed live video. It's got some great close ups and really shows you the detail of what the guys are playing. This is something I thought was lacking a bit in Time Machine - not enough close ups and wayyy to much of the audience. It is great to see an audience enjoying a band but when I buy a live video, I want to see the band play and I want to see what they're playing - audience shots rarely do much for me at all. I'm very surprised to see most people saying that the editing's better on TM.