Obscure TV shows that no one talks about anymore

treeduck

My opening gambit is:

The Magician starring the late great Bill Bixby as Tony Blake a kind of James Bond of the magic circle! A good solid 70s show...

And Vega$ starring Robert Urich as PI Dan Tanna and Greg Morris (Mission Impossible) and created by Michael Mann. This show was maybe the precursor to Miami Vice.

trink38.gif

Seven Days

It had a nice 3 year run on UPN, and was one of my favorite shows at the time. It was about a secret government operation that could send one man back in time seven days to stop disasters. The characters were solid, the acting was good, and the plots were always fun. I really miss this show.

Beat the Geeks

It a Comedy Central entry among the early 00s gameshow boom. This show pitted contestants against 'geeks' who were extremely well versed in their particular field (moveis, music, TV, and a rotating wildcard.) The format was fun, and the commentary was always funnier.

Unhappily Ever After

Imagine Married With Children, with a stuffed talking bunny voiced by Bobcat Goldthwaite. This was an extremely funny show, following the Malloy family. Jack, the family dad, was a used car salesman who's borderline insanity leads him to his basement retreat where his stuffed bunny, Mr. Floppy, acts as his confidant and best friend.

Dilbert

Everyone knows Dilbert, but few remember the animated TV series. Voiced by Daniel Stern, Dilbert was brought to life with expert skill. This show was zany, witty, and should've lasted a lot longer than it did. The voice acting from Stern, Kathy Griffin, Chris Elliott, Jason Alexander, and others was a perfect mix for this show.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Dec 14 2011, 01:27 PM)
Beat the Geeks

It a Comedy Central entry among the early 00s gameshow boom. This show pitted contestants against 'geeks' who were extremely well versed in their particular field (moveis, music, TV, and a rotating wildcard.) The format was fun, and the commentary was always funnier.

Unhappily Ever After

Imagine Married With Children, with a stuffed talking bunny voiced by Bobcat Goldthwaite. This was an extremely funny show, following the Malloy family. Jack, the family dad, was a used car salesman who's borderline insanity leads him to his basement retreat where his stuffed bunny, Mr. Floppy, acts as his confidant and best friend.

I was trying to get on the show as The Simpsons Geek.... sad.gif

I watched UEA, just because I was in love with Nikki Cox.

What about:

China Beach

Journey Man

Quantum Leap

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 14 2011, 01:46 PM)
Beat the Geeks

Unhappily Ever After

What about:

China Beach

Journey Man

Quantum Leap

Is Quantum Leap obscure? It was pretty popular over here anyway with a ton of re-runs over the years...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 14 2011, 01:55 PM)
Beat the Geeks

Unhappily Ever After

What about:

China Beach

Journey Man

Quantum Leap

Is Quantum Leap obscure? It was pretty popular over here anyway with a ton of re-runs over the years...

Man, I dunno - nobody talks about it anymore though smile.gif

What about ALF - does that count? smile.gif

Beat the Geeks

Loved that show.

Speaking of game shows, remember MTV's Idiot Savant with host Greg Fitzsimmons? Loved that show when I was in 10th grade.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 14 2011, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 14 2011, 01:55 PM)
Beat the Geeks

Unhappily Ever After

What about:

China Beach

Journey Man

Quantum Leap

Man, I dunno - nobody talks about it anymore though smile.gif

What about ALF - does that count? smile.gif

Yeah Alf the forgotten alien who strangely sounded just like a talkative attention-seeking American actor... laugh.gif

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Dec 14 2011, 03:01 PM)

Beat the Geeks

Loved that show.

Speaking of game shows, remember MTV's Idiot Savant with host Greg Fitzsimmons? Loved that show when I was in 10th grade.

Also throw in "Win Ben Steins Money".

• Like 1

I love ALF. biggrin.gif I used to catch re-runs of it all the time.

And I think Quantum Leap either is or was on Hulu for some time. (Scott Bakula for the win!) I was under the impression it was relatively popular back in the day.

I feel like Mork & Mindy was pretty obscure even though I ADORE that show and when they showed reruns on Syfy I would be GLUED to the TV. (I blame my mother - she got me into it... it was one of her favourites when she was younger! Apparently she got rainbow suspenders because of that show.)

Journeyman is a forgotten, lost, sadly canceled soul. :C It was good while it lasted.

Also The Lone Gunmen, which was a somewhat-offshoot of X-Files. Just couldn't stack up. /sigh

Edited by CMWriter

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 14 2011, 02:20 PM)
Oh, and...
"Get a Life" with Chris Elliott - I loved that show.
"Dark Angel" with Jessica Alba wub.gif
"Titus" with Christopher Tytus about fixing cars

Dark Angel yeah I mostly watched that for Jessica wub.gif and the lezzie black chick who was pretty hot too...

But there were some great turns by John Savage, Nana Visitor, and the not very well known but good Martin Cummins (yeah I had to look up his name) as a sinister government agent...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 14 2011, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 14 2011, 02:20 PM)
Oh, and...
"Get a Life" with Chris Elliott - I loved that show.
"Dark Angel" with Jessica Alba  wub.gif
"Titus" with Christopher Tytus about fixing cars

Dark Angel yeah I mostly watched that for Jessica wub.gif and the lezzie black chick who was pretty hot too...

But there were some great turns by John Savage, Nana Visitor, and the not very well known but good Martin Cummins (yeah I had to look up his name) as a sinister government agent...

O:

Nana Visitor was in Dark Angel?

Must.. watch... now..!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 14 2011, 12:59 PM)
And Vega$ starring Robert Urich as PI Dan Tanna and Greg Morris (Mission Impossible) and created by Michael Mann. This show was maybe the precursor to Miami Vice.

trink38.gif

Great show. Loved all those old cop shows, and that one is near the top of the list.

Speaking of Urich and obscure shows, a shout-out to "Spenser: For Hire." Not always faithful to the tone of Parker's novels (some eps got a little trite and cheesy), but they got it close enough more often than not. And Avery Brooks was the perfect Hawk.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 14 2011, 03:46 PM)

trink38.gif

Great show. Loved all those old cop shows, and that one is near the top of the list.

Speaking of Urich and obscure shows, a shout-out to "Spenser: For Hire." Not always faithful to the tone of Parker's novels (some eps got a little trite and cheesy), but they got it close enough more often than not. And Avery Brooks was the perfect Hawk.

Yeah Spenser for Hire was excellent! And yes Avery Brooks was A1 perfect as Hawk. I read the Parker novels too and although Urich was a bit lightweight compared to the Parker's version, I already liked him from Vega$ and various other things, so I had no complaints.

The dialogue was really good in this show. At times Hawk and Spenser almost talked in a kind of street poetry...

When Deep Space Nine started I was like wow it's HAWK with hair and no beard! laugh.gif Eventually Brooks really morphed into Hawk losing the hair again and regaining the beard... laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 14 2011, 03:57 PM)

trink38.gif

Yeah Spenser for Hire was excellent! And yes Avery Brooks was A1 perfect as Hawk. I read the Parker novels too and although Urich was a bit lightweight compared to the Parker's version, I already liked him from Vega$ and various other things, so I had no complaints.

The dialogue was really good in this show. At times Hawk and Spenser almost talked in a kind of street poetry...

When Deep Space Nine started I was like wow it's HAWK with hair and no beard! laugh.gif Eventually Brooks really morphed into Hawk losing the hair again and regaining the beard... laugh.gif

Spot on, all points. The one thing I'm glad they got right from the novels was the unspoken trust between Spenser and Hawk. Neither of them ever had to wonder if the other's got his back.

And they, especially Brooks, got Hawk's ghost-like ability to seemingly appear and disappear just right, too. A key element, and I'm glad they didn't overlook it.

And I'm with you on DS9. I was a big fan of both TNG and Spenser when they announced the new series, and when I saw that Brooks was cast as the lead, I was like, "YES! Hawk in space!" 1022.gif

QUOTE (Khan @ Dec 14 2011, 03:30 PM)
Kojak
Kolchak: Night Stalker
Rockford Files
Barnaby Jones
Banacek
Black Sheep Squadron
China Beach

Loved all of these

The Rockford Files is one of THE shows of the 70s for me! I wouldn't call it obscure. It's in behind the likes of Kung Fu, Six Million Dollar Man, The Incredible Hulk, Quincy, Colombo, Kojak, Streets of San Francisco...

I watched the whole thing on TV re-runs a few times in the 80s 90s and the 2000s. I'M still talking about it! tongue.gif

Kolchak and Banacek are in the esoteric ball-park...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 14 2011, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 14 2011, 03:57 PM)

trink38.gif

Spot on, all points. The one thing I'm glad they got right from the novels was the unspoken trust between Spenser and Hawk. Neither of them ever had to wonder if the other's got his back.

And they, especially Brooks, got Hawk's ghost-like ability to seemingly appear and disappear just right, too. A key element, and I'm glad they didn't overlook it.

And I'm with you on DS9. I was a big fan of both TNG and Spenser when they announced the new series, and when I saw that Brooks was cast as the lead, I was like, "YES! Hawk in space!" 1022.gif

I didn't really get into DS9 back in the 90s as much as the TOS and TNG but I still watched it. I've been watching it again the last few weeks and I'm enjoying it much more this time around. Sisko, Quark, Major Kira, Worf and Odo are GOLD! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Garak and Gul Dukat are excellent too and the Klingon leader guys..Gowron and General whatsit...

Back in the day after the HAWK moment, in the next episode after the double pilot, Garak was introduced and I was like wow it's the SCORPIO killer from Dirty Harry! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Looking thru a wikipedia entry about NBC's Must See TV... look at some of these shows:

Nothing in Common

Day by Day

The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd

Dear John

Grand

Wings

Rhythm & Blues

Out All Night

Madman of the People

Hope & Gloria

Boston Common

The Single Guy

Fired Up

Suddenly Susan

Veronica's Closet

The Naked Truth

Union Square

Stark Raving Mad

Battery Park

Daddio

Cursed

The Weber Show

Inside Schwartz

Leap of Faith

Good Morning, Miami

Coupling

Joey

Four Kings

From the above list - I only remember watching, and enjoying Wings and Boston Common. Dear john wasn't too bad either.

2 more that I liked to watch:

Herman's Head

Parker Lewis Can't Lose

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 14 2011, 03:51 PM)
Looking thru a wikipedia entry about NBC's Must See TV... look at some of these shows:

Nothing in Common
Day by Day
The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd
Dear John
Grand
Wings
Rhythm & Blues
Out All Night
Madman of the People
Hope & Gloria
Boston Common
The Single Guy
Fired Up
Suddenly Susan
Veronica's Closet
The Naked Truth
Union Square
Stark Raving Mad
Battery Park
Daddio
Cursed
The Weber Show
Inside Schwartz
Leap of Faith
Good Morning, Miami
Coupling
Joey
Four Kings

From the above list - I only remember watching, and enjoying Wings and Boston Common. Dear john wasn't too bad either.

2 more that I liked to watch:
Herman's Head
Parker Lewis Can't Lose

Where's Newsradio on that list? IMO, Newsradio was the best sitcom of the 90s, but NBC kept jacking around it's timeslot, and its ratings were always borderline because of it. When Phil Hartman died, it was the final nail in Newsradio's coffin, even though it continued to be quite funny with Jon Lovits.

Man that was a funny show.