Were Caravan And BU2B Re-Recorded?

presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 2 2012, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (RollTheBiff @ Apr 2 2012, 01:04 PM)
Just heard "Headlong Flight!'(radio edit) I got to sit in with the label rep and program director of a certain rock radio station.

It's heavy! Reminded me of parts of Bastille Day.  BTW, the production sounds much different than the Caravan and BU2B single releases (or S&A for that matter). It's crunchier and is more reminiscent of modern hard rock records. The originals would not fit in terms of production continuity with the new track.

Anticipation ensues...

Are you serious? If so did they cut out the solo for the radio edit? Do you like the new one better than Caravan and BU2B?

Don't know what was cut since I've only heard the 5 and some minute version. One listen is not enough to judge a Rush song. I will say it was more 'accessible' than Caravan right off the rip.

Definitely sounded like old Rush riffs but with their heaviest sound yet. If I remember correctly, there was even flanger on some drums fills - old school!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard it on the label rep's mix CD of new singles (along with other RR artists) The CD did not leave the rep's possession.

I don't think any station has a physical copy yet.

Some labels only let radio station programmers hear new tunes thru headphones from THEIR mp3 device at a neutral luncheon location. Can't be too careful these days, I guess.

QUOTE (RollTheBiff @ Apr 2 2012, 04:22 PM)
I heard it on the label rep's mix CD of new singles (along with other RR artists) The CD did not leave the rep's possession. 

I don't think any station has a physical copy yet.

Some labels only let radio station programmers hear new tunes thru headphones from THEIR mp3 device at a neutral luncheon location. Can't be too careful these days, I guess.

Anything else you can remember from the track? Did you hear a guitar solo at all? Was there a talking vocal part in the middle? Are the drums crisper than they have been on recent recordings? Is Neil real busy on the track? Style wise would you compare it to any other Rush record?

Edited by presto123

The only thing I don't like about Caravan is Alex's guitar solo. It sounds very sloppy to me. When I first heard the song I said to myself that I hope he changes it for the studio album release. Now maybe it's possible he has. Edited by Majestyk

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Apr 3 2012, 01:07 PM)
The only thing I don't like about Caravan is Alex's guitar solo. It sounds very sloppy to me. When I first heard the song I said to myself that I hope he changes it for the studio album release. Now maybe it's possible he has.

I agree. It's kind of weird. It's a minor point for me though because the song is so awesome. Still hope he changes it though.

The only thing I don't like about Caravan is Alex's guitar solo. It sounds very sloppy to me. When I first heard the song I said to myself that I hope he changes it for the studio album release. Now maybe it's possible he has.

to me it sounds like the solo doesn't even belong in the song. he might be tearing it up but it sounds very unlike alex and more like him just messing around. it is what it is.

1. Caravan(5:40)

2. BU2B(5:10)

3. Clockwork Angels(7:31)

4. The Anarchist(6:52)

5. Carnies(4:52)

6. Halo Effect(3:14)

7. Seven Cities Of Gold(6:32)

8. The Wreckers(5:01)

9. Headlong Flight(7:20)

10. BU2B2(1:28)

11. Wish Them Well(5:25)

12. The Garden(6:59)

Is what is shown on the Bestbuy.com pre-order. That looks like Caravan is the same length, but that BU2B is longer. I think.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 12 2012, 08:28 AM)

Is what is shown on the Bestbuy.com pre-order. That looks like Caravan is the same length, but that BU2B is longer. I think.

wow - 4 songs coming in around 7 minutes

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 12 2012, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 12 2012, 08:28 AM)

wow - 4 songs coming in around 7 minutes

And one at under a minute and a half! If this is true, BU2B2 is to become the shortest Rush song, 30 seconds shorter than Hope! Got to be an instrumental, surely?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 3 2012, 05:33 PM)
The only thing I don't like about Caravan is Alex's guitar solo.  It sounds very sloppy to me.  When I first heard the song I said to myself that I hope he changes it for the studio album release.  Now maybe it's possible he has.

to me it sounds like the solo doesn't even belong in the song. he might be tearing it up but it sounds very unlike alex and more like him just messing around. it is what it is.

Agree with you both...it sounds VERY out of place.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2012, 10:07 AM)
Ahhh, who cares. RE-recording it won't mean you'll suddenly LOVE it if you didn't before. Same songs for the most part, I reckon.

Well, I love the originals...so I'm confident I'll love the new versions (if they were re-recorded)!

...and if somehow I don't...well, I still have the originals to go back to! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 12 2012, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2012, 10:07 AM)
Ahhh, who cares.  RE-recording it won't mean you'll suddenly LOVE it if you didn't before.  Same songs for the most part, I reckon.

Well, I love the originals...so I'm confident I'll love the new versions (if they were re-recorded)!

...and if somehow I don't...well, I still have the originals to go back to! biggrin.gif

This is exactly right. Those cuts are still out there if you happen to prefer them.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 3 2012, 05:33 PM)
The only thing I don't like about Caravan is Alex's guitar solo.  It sounds very sloppy to me.  When I first heard the song I said to myself that I hope he changes it for the studio album release.  Now maybe it's possible he has.

I absolutely LOVE this about this song. I love how funky and out of place the solo sounds...Alex is usually very crisp and has the perfect sound...this solo is a departure for him that I love

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2012, 09:07 AM)
Ahhh, who cares. RE-recording it won't mean you'll suddenly LOVE it if you didn't before. Same songs for the most part, I reckon.

I care because the production on the HF clip is much better than the tracks we got two years ago. The new Caravan and BU2B should sound even better from a sonic standpoint.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 12 2012, 04:18 PM)
Ahhh, who cares.  RE-recording it won't mean you'll suddenly LOVE it if you didn't before.  Same songs for the most part, I reckon.

I care because the production on the HF clip is much better than the tracks we got two years ago. The new Caravan and BU2B should sound even better from a sonic standpoint.

1022.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 12 2012, 03:18 PM)

True. But if you dislike Caravan, say, production alone isn't likely to make you a believer all of a sudden.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2012, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 12 2012, 03:18 PM)

True. But if you dislike Caravan, say, production alone isn't likely to make you a believer all of a sudden.

Don't have to worry about that. I loved both of those tracks and this new teaser clip sounds like it could be even better. 1022.gif