Were Caravan And BU2B Re-Recorded?

presto123

There was an Alex interview I read recently on some website from a few months back where he said they would probably be re-recording those songs, and I think the reason he gave was because they'd taken them on the road and worked with them for a couple of years so they naturally evolved, or something like that. Sorry, I don't know where the article is - I might look for it, but anyway, this new info here seems to confirm what Alex said for the most part.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 10 2011, 03:14 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 10 2011, 02:08 AM)
That's wild!  I never would have thought of that!  Roadrunner Records made the band re-record the two songs for the new album?

Wow!  I guess it actually makes sense.  I wonder if these two epic songs are actually new and improved?

Time will tell!

On that note, I am sure the album cover will have nothing to do with the artwork on that 2 track ep.

It's gonna have a new name too Chocolate Orange and have a picture of an orange dipped in shit on the cover. Inside is a picture of Peart licking the shit off it. On the back is a picture of the band dressed in Clockwork Orange outfits raping blow-up dolls dressed like the Pope...

cool10.gif

rofl3.gif How do you come up with this stuff?

If they did (I hope they did) then I can see two reasons.

1) To capture the energy from the tour. All the other songs would have been recorded when they were still hot off the tour, and that energy would be missing from these two tracks.

2) Similar sound. Different studio.. different drum kit.. different time... all of that would make Caravan and BU2B sound totally out of place on the record, so I'm sure rerecording was done so that the album has a consistent sound.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 29 2012, 07:21 AM)
If they did (I hope they did) then I can see two reasons.

1) To capture the energy from the tour. All the other songs would have been recorded when they were still hot off the tour, and that energy would be missing from these two tracks.

2) Similar sound. Different studio.. different drum kit.. different time... all of that would make Caravan and BU2B sound totally out of place on the record, so I'm sure rerecording was done so that the album has a consistent sound.

or:

3) Roadrunner can't get permission to re-release songs recorded on another label, or it's a legal/logistical hassle, so it was easier for everyone all around to have Rush re-record the songs.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 11 2011, 06:31 PM)
Good. Maybe they completely re-wrote the lyrics to BU2B. yes.gif

tongue.gif

And added more lyrics to the Caravan chorus, because repeating that 1 line 50 times annoys the hell out of me. Sounds like they just wrote that 1 line then went and took their afternoon nap. Lazy!

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 29 2012, 09:26 AM)
Good.  Maybe they completely re-wrote the lyrics to BU2B. yes.gif

tongue.gif

And added more lyrics to the Caravan chorus, because repeating that 1 line 50 times annoys the hell out of me. Sounds like they just wrote that 1 line then went and took their afternoon nap. Lazy!

Maybe they were lazy with intention when recording the 2 songs the first time. I hope so too!

I love the 2 songs. I only admit that the chorus on Caravan can be a bit repetitive. But I still think it is the freshest they have done in years.

I want them to rerecord because then we have 2 fresh versions to listen to and the new versions goes better into the new album.

The last time it was mentioned they were thinking about redoing them was between the first and second legs of the TM tour, almost a year and a half ago. I would guess the odds are still better than 50/50 that they'll be the same but I won't be shocked if they're altered.

It's a different time and different label but this has already happened with Rush in the past. Mercury released Show Don't Tell on the Chronicles CD even though it was the first single from their new record company, Atlantic. Nothing was changed then.

I hope they were re-recorded just so all the songs have the same sound.

It wouldn't be to this degree, but imagine 2 songs recorded during the Signals sessions slapped onto Grace Under Pressure. Totally different sonically, it'd ruin the album.

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 29 2012, 09:26 AM)
Good.  Maybe they completely re-wrote the lyrics to BU2B. yes.gif

tongue.gif

Yup. Reminds of another pet peeve from Between Sun & Moon:

"ahh aahhh yes to yes to aahhh aahhh aahhh to yes..." yes.gif

Both Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions went through this process. The first version of Tom Sawyer had this mad shredding solo from Alex.Subdivisions started off life as an add on to The Trees and was called The Forest live. So it all bodes well.

I'd love re-recordings. It gives us new tracks to listen to...and if the changes are maybe not my favourite, I've always got the original versions to fall back on.

I love both songs alot...but it would be great to hear them re-recorded to better match the sound/tone/feel of the rest of the album. Plus, it would be like have a full-on new album. 1022.gif