Even NPR thinks that Rush should be inducted

laughedatbytime

I hate to start another thread about the Hall of Jann Wenner's favorites, but here's a blog at NPR of all places touting Rush for that hell hole (Spinal Tap may get in first, BTW.)

Pardon this blogger for a moment of venting.

We've heard today that the new inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the performers category are Guns N' Roses, the Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Laura Nyro, Donovan and The Small Faces.

I don't have any problem with the honorees.

As usual, it's who still isn't in the hall that irks me.

Last year I went on about why KISS should be in. And about 86 percent of those who clicked on our "should KISS be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?" question said "yes" (you can still express your opinion on that critical question here).

This year, let's consider Rush. As Wired's GeekDad blog wrote in September, the Canadian trio has sold more than 40 million records and has "more consecutive gold and platinum records than everyone except the Beatles and the Rolling Stones."

Even the president and CEO of the Rock Hall concedes the band should be honored. "They simply haven't gotten enough votes to make the ballot," Terry Stewart told Cleveland's The Plain Dealer earlier this year. "I can't tell you why. Based on impact, influence, innovation, and excellence, they're worthy. I think it's just a matter of time before it happens."

So, we have to ask:

Should Rush be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
No
Yes
SubmitView ResultsShare ThisPolldaddy.com

We'll keep the question open until the end of Friday. And now we'll turn the rock 'n' roll coverage back over to our much savvier colleagues at The Record.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/1...ll-hall-of-fame

"more consecutive gold and platinum records than everyone except the Beatles and the Rolling Stones."

there's a pretty big argument for them getting in...

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 7 2011, 10:33 PM)
the 452 NO'S need to be hunted down and have their brains surgically extracted, and then plugged into an mp3 player with nothing but white noise.

How about Madonna? I mean, she's rock and roll so they should enjoy her, right? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 7 2011, 09:19 PM)
the 452 NO'S need to be hunted down and have their brains surgically extracted, and then plugged into an mp3 player with nothing but white noise.

How about Madonna? I mean, she's rock and roll so they should enjoy her, right? confused13.gif

rofl3.gif yes.gif They deserve it.

I liked that blog. I thought our position was well stated.

My ex-girlfriend, who hates Rush and prefers all those hipper-than-thou post-punk/alternative/"college" bands, shared that link with me through Facebook and asked if I wrote it.

I didn't, obviously, but it started afresh our arguments about Rush.

She says they were never mainstream. I reply that that's a compliment because "mainstream" sucks.

She says the fact they've sold a buttload of albums doesn't automatically make them great. I somewhat agree, citing my now famous "Rascal Flatts was the best-selling artist of 2007, and they SUCK!" line. But I also say Rush's album sales are an indication of people liking them... people, not snooty critics. I add that Rush sold what they sold and did what they did with very little help from radio, and with a mainstream music press which actively sought to marginalize them. Lastly, I mention that Rush is written about in a postiive light in magazines for drummers, guitarists, and bassists - musicians think Rush are amazing, and it is their opinion which matters more than Jann Wenner's.

She says what makes an artist legendary is the number of other artists that they influence, and then challenges me to name any band that Rush has influenced. I reply that Rush influenced Metallica, Primus, Living Colour, Smashing Pumpkins, Dream Theater, Rage Against the Machine, Trent Reznor, the Foo Fighters, and more.

She says "fair enough. I still can't listen to them without earplugs. And for the record, I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the RNRHoF." She gives up.

As my friend Gary said: "I want to hear someone try to explain why they SHOULDN'T be in the Hall." new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I don't know if there's an explanation that holds water. Geddy's voice is not a valid reason. (Dylan, Young, and Stipe are all in.) "Jann doesn't like them" is not a valid reason.

It's good to see that even the president and CEO of the Hall thinks Rush deserves it. Now somebody please kill Jann Wenner, and we're all set. wink.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 7 2011, 11:19 PM)

Anyone arguing against her getting in is an idiot. First of all the hall isnt just for rock and roll, that's just the name of it, but it includes everything, and she is not only one of the most famous people in music, but one of the most famous humans. It would not be very easy for you to find another person who doesnt know who she is.

You could go to 7-11 right now and 75% of the people in there wont know who Rush is. So yeah, she kinda deserves to be in.

I think Rush does too, but I certainly will not argue against Madonna, GnR or Beastie Boys getting in either. All were incredibly influential, and the Beasties were actually pioneers, like Metallica was for metal, something Rush never accomplished. They were never pioneers of anything.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 8 2011, 10:31 AM)
She says the fact they've sold a buttload of albums doesn't automatically make them great.

That right there is proven by the majority of new music these days IMO.

The fact is, compared to alot of much crappier bands from the last two decades, Rush hasn't sold nearly as much if we're talking album sales.

facepalm.gif

Honestly - does anyone care that much? There are now 3 thread regarding the same subject.

Please answer my 2 questions...

1. After all this BS, if they finally get in - will you be happy?

2. Wouldn't getting in after all this time actually be more of a slap in the face than an honor?

For me:

1. No, I will not be happy because getting in means shit. It will not raise my level of enjoyment of their music.

2. Yes, it is a slap int he face IMO because they should have been in long before half the schmoes in there.

QUOTE (trenken @ Dec 8 2011, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 7 2011, 11:19 PM)

Anyone arguing against her getting in is an idiot. First of all the hall isnt just for rock and roll, that's just the name of it, but it includes everything, and she is not only one of the most famous people in music, but one of the most famous humans. It would not be very easy for you to find another person who doesnt know who she is.

You could go to 7-11 right now and 75% of the people in there wont know who Rush is. So yeah, she kinda deserves to be in.

I think Rush does too, but I certainly will not argue against Madonna, GnR or Beastie Boys getting in either. All were incredibly influential, and the Beasties were actually pioneers, like Metallica was for metal, something Rush never accomplished. They were never pioneers of anything.

How do you explain bon jovi being nominated last year?...And who did guns n roses influence? ...all the suburban burnouts listened to them...I don't remember any musicians back then healing praise on them

There is obviously a personal agenda against Rush...they meet the criteria way more than gnr or bon jovi

Seems to me that people who get in are singles-based bands. Rush isn't one of those. But then neither was Led Zeppelin, so... confused13.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 8 2011, 08:53 AM)
facepalm.gif

Honestly - does anyone care that much? There are now 3 thread regarding the same subject.

2. Wouldn't getting in after all this time actually be more of a slap in the face than an honor?

For me:
1. No, I will not be happy because getting in means shit. It will not raise my level of enjoyment of their music.
2. Yes, it is a slap int he face IMO because they should have been in long before half the schmoes in there.

1. No.

2. I don't care, f**k that place.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 8 2011, 09:53 AM)

1. Yes, I would be happy because they totally deserve it - more so than some of the acts already in there. But I'll remind you that there are also some very deserving acts in there too such as Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, The Beatles, Pink Floyd and The Police - all of which have been influences on Rush. Does Rush deserve to be associated with them? Absolutely! It would probably open a lot of people's eyes to the band too, how can that be a bad thing? And I'm sorry but I get the impression that there are a lot of people on this board that are pretending they don't care about the Hall of Fame, but I bet as soon as Rush get inducted (which I think is only a matter of time) they'll come out of the woodwork and celebrate along with everyone else. We shall see...

2. No more so than never getting in. And as I said earlier, they'd be put in along side some legendary names and they can finally be seen as a peer to those bands in terms of legacy and influence. How could that possibly be a slap in the face?

Another year, another opportunity to beat this dead horse, but it sure is fun, isn't it? smile.gif

As the RRHOF scrapes further down the bottom of the barrel with every passing year, they become so increasingly meaningless that any future induction of Rush will be more than an anti-climax, it will be downright insulting. By the time Rush gets inducted along with Milli Vanilli, Debbie Gibson and Tiffany in 2021, I think people will care even less than they do now.

I mean, how much credibility can we give to an entity that purports the Beastie Boys have had a greater impact on rock music than Rush? I doubt that there will a "Beyond the Right to Party" documentary sometime down the road.

As stated countless times before, Rush is too good for that shithole.

To the distinguished members of the Board of Directors of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, Ohio:

We have just received word and wish to acknowledge that we have been [chosen/again passed over] for membership in the internationally renowned Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It is indeed a [great honor/great honor] to even be considered and short-listed for this prestigious award and we stand prepared to [join/be blackballed from] the august company that comprises the inductees of the Hall of Fame, including but not limited to Eric Clapton, James Taylor, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Paul McCartney, and the Yardbirds including Eric Clapton.

As you may be aware, we are in the midst of a [spectacular comeback year/demeaning sequel to an otherwise perfectly serviceable career] which has already been acknowledged and honored in a profound and moving way - and [induction into the Hall/having been nominated, considered and ultimately rejected by you guys again] is certainly the icing on the cake for us.

Rest assured that we will be celebrating this momentous occasion by [lollygagging at our ranch with a dog named "Spot" and a boil on our face/skulking out to Starbuck's for a double decaf latte and a pistachio cone]. Of course we shall stand ready to [participate in/boycott] the festive induction ceremony at the pleasure of our fans, to whom we owe everything and whom we have vowed never to disappoint, [ever/or as infrequently as possible]. We shall be [wintering/falling back to lick our wounds] in Hawaii starting any day now, so please let us know as soon as possible [where we can pick up our trophies/that we should go f**k ourselves] and what, if anything, we should wear. Mahalo and aloha nui loha

Donald Fagen & Walter Becker
          Founders, Steely Dan

Link

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Dec 8 2011, 06:26 PM)

1. Yes, I would be happy because they totally deserve it - more so than some of the acts already in there. But I'll remind you that there are also some very deserving acts in there too such as Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, The Beatles, Pink Floyd and The Police - all of which have been influences on Rush. Does Rush deserve to be associated with them? Absolutely! It would probably open a lot of people's eyes to the band too, how can that be a bad thing? And I'm sorry but I get the impression that there are a lot of people on this board that are pretending they don't care about the Hall of Fame, but I bet as soon as Rush get inducted (which I think is only a matter of time) they'll come out of the woodwork and celebrate along with everyone else. We shall see...

2. No more so than never getting in. And as I said earlier, they'd be put in along side some legendary names and they can finally be seen as a peer to those bands in terms of legacy and influence. How could that possibly be a slap in the face?

banghead.gif

love the way this clip ends with a little Rush plug

Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 9 2011, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Dec 8 2011, 06:26 PM)

banghead.gif

And your point is...? I only said what I thought.