Prog songs with historical references

rushringleader

I am trying to find some prog songs with historical references for my radio show. What do you recommend? I have Manhattan Project and Sacrificed Sons already.

Driving the Last Spike - Genesis

Song for America - Kansas

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 6 2011, 03:58 PM)
Bastille Day.

My first thought as well.

I'd add Red Sector A

slayer - angel of death. not prog really, but excellent.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 6 2011, 02:02 PM)
Alexander The Great - Iron Maiden

yes.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Dec 7 2011, 04:34 PM)
The Billy Joel song isn't really prog. Neither are the two Rush songs mentioned.

Well, Red Sector A and 2112 aren't truly historical either. Both are actually fiction.

Although Kate Bush is not progressive rock, I consider her "progressive" in general, but her song Joannie is historic. She's singing about Joan of Arc.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 7 2011, 07:24 PM)
The Billy Joel song isn't really prog. Neither are the two Rush songs mentioned.

Well, Red Sector A and 2112 aren't truly historical either. Both are actually fiction.

2112 is fiction, but the Holocaust was part of history (unless you are one of the conspiracy theorists).

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 8 2011, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 7 2011, 07:24 PM)

2112 is fiction, but the Holocaust was part of history (unless you are one of the conspiracy theorists).

It is not about the Holocaust specifically, but something similar. From Wiki:

"Red Sector A" is a song by Rush that provides a first-person account of a nameless protagonist living in an unspecified prison camp setting. "Red Sector A" first appeared on the band's 1984 album Grace Under Pressure.
Lyricist Neil Peart has stated that the detailed imagery in the song intentionally evokes concentration camps of the Holocaust. Peart has stated that while Nazi concentration camps of World War II were his primary lyrical motivation, he decided to abstract the lyrics so as to apply to the experiences of atrocity of any similar prison camp scenario.
The song title 'Red Sector A' comes from the name of the NASA launch area at Kennedy Space Center, where the band was granted special permission to view the launch of Columbia on April 12, 1981.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 8 2011, 07:58 PM)

It is not about the Holocaust specifically, but something similar. From Wiki:
"Red Sector A" is a song by Rush that provides a first-person account of a nameless protagonist living in an unspecified prison camp setting. "Red Sector A" first appeared on the band's 1984 album Grace Under Pressure.
Lyricist Neil Peart has stated that the detailed imagery in the song intentionally evokes concentration camps of the Holocaust. Peart has stated that while Nazi concentration camps of World War II were his primary lyrical motivation, he decided to abstract the lyrics so as to apply to the experiences of atrocity of any similar prison camp scenario.
The song title 'Red Sector A' comes from the name of the NASA launch area at Kennedy Space Center, where the band was granted special permission to view the launch of Columbia on April 12, 1981.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.