Rush has more appreciation for fans

Tom Sawyer

They are NUMBER 1 in all history!!

Prove me wrong!

It's the second MOST thing I love about them after the music.

(third would be their relationships with each other and their families)

....so on what do I base my statement?

Look at the last 3 years!!! The touring. It's very hard work, and for people who really don't need the money. They could have retired many years ago...very comfortably! They are not greedy. The give a primo show every time, they NEVER cancel shows.

I've read review after review after review (and not just die-hard Rush-fan columnists either) and they all say what a GRADE A show these guys put out. No bias.

Edited by Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Dec 6 2011, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 6 2011, 10:05 AM)
Peart was broke nearly 10 years ago. Hence his new found love of touring.

Broke? Like 7 digits down from 8?

No broke as in having cash flow problems. Probably had his house and some investments as part of the company "Rush" but other than that...

QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 6 2011, 12:05 PM)
Peart was broke nearly 10 years ago. Hence his new found love of touring.

laugh.gif

Fans of Other bands might have something to say about that.

I think the Grateful Dead certainly had a lot of appreciation for their fans.

30 years of touring (1965-1995) until Jerry died. The only year they didn't tour was 1975 (3 shows I believe). Every year, they did a Spring, Summer, and Fall Tour along with New Year's.

They freely allowed fans to record their shows and even had sections (generally by the soundbard roped off for tapers). They would sometimes allow fans to tap into the soundboard mix and record that. Trading of shows was encouraged.

The Dead also setup a mail order system for fans to get tickets. The best seats in the house were generally reserved for ' The Heads' as opposed to ticket brokers.

Plus the Grateful Dead put on a completely new show EVERY night with regards to the setlist.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 6 2011, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 6 2011, 01:21 PM)

You mean like Van Halen fans?

laugh.gif Hell No.

Yes Rush are great guys but this thread is ridiculous. They are not even close to being the most fan friendly. Their meet and greets are limited and structured and one member won't do them period. Some bands change their setlists nightly because they know that's what fans want. I could never see Rush doing that. They do things on their own terms and I respect them for that but it doesn't make you the most fan friendly band in the world by any stretch.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 6 2011, 01:57 PM)
this thread is ridiculous.

Amen

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 6 2011, 02:59 PM)
this thread is ridiculous.

Amen

+1

Yeah, on top of that, they play 3 HOUR shows routinely...

How many band's 55 +, do that now-a-days??

Very few.Most band's are retired by 45-50.

RUSH RULES...and frickin' ROCKS..for 37+ yrs.!!!!

yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 6 2011, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 6 2011, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 6 2011, 01:21 PM)

You mean like Van Halen fans?

laugh.gif Hell No.

wink.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 6 2011, 01:38 PM)
I think the Grateful Dead certainly had a lot of appreciation for their fans.

30 years of touring (1965-1995) until Jerry died. The only year they didn't tour was 1975 (3 shows I believe). Every year, they did a Spring, Summer, and Fall Tour along with New Year's.

They freely allowed fans to record their shows and even had sections (generally by the soundbard roped off for tapers). They would sometimes allow fans to tap into the soundboard mix and record that. Trading of shows was encouraged.

The Dead also setup a mail order system for fans to get tickets. The best seats in the house were generally reserved for ' The Heads' as opposed to ticket brokers.

Plus the Grateful Dead put on a completely new show EVERY night with regards to the setlist.

My father has told me countless stories of Grateful Dead shows he's been to. He owns at least 30 different shows, some of which he was actually at, and each one is completely different.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Dec 6 2011, 02:12 PM)

yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif 1022.gif

Phil Lesh is 71 and still cranking out 3 hour shows (67 shows this year so far).

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 6 2011, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Dec 6 2011, 02:12 PM)

yes.gif  2.gif  1022.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  1022.gif

Phil Lesh is 71 and still cranking out 3 hour shows (67 shows this year so far).

goodpost.gif

Love of touring has no effect on loving the fans. Yes, it was really nice of them to extend the TM Tour from a small tour for other people to experience it, but bands that need money will just endlessly tour. There just isn't as much money in making albums. What I think makes them such a great band are all of the stories of people meeting them (minus Neil) and actually getting a friendly response.

Rush is my favourite band, but I would humbly disagree with this one.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Neil Peart doesn't even like his his fans. smile.gif

Seriously, they do seem to have great appreciation for their fans, but I'm sure there are other bands w-a-a-a-a-ay above them.

~Peace, Love, Rush,

RGLT

Yes Rush are great guys but this thread is ridiculous. They are not even close to being the most fan friendly. Their meet and greets are limited and structured and one member won't do them period. Some bands change their setlists nightly because they know that's what fans want. I could never see Rush doing that. They do things on their own terms and I respect them for that but it doesn't make you the most fan friendly band in the world by any stretch.

+1

QUOTE (fonzbear2000 @ Dec 8 2011, 06:41 PM)

+1

+2 But I think there is such a thing as being too fan friendly. If Rush had simply done what people wanted them to do in 1982 and made a PM/MP part 2, they would have probably burned themselves out years ago. One of the main things that's kept them together all these years is them doing what they want to do, how they want to do it. Staying true to yourself and not to others' expectations of you is one of the greatest attributes an artist can have imo. This is something Rush have done and for that I have real respect for them.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 8 2011, 08:29 PM)
Peart hates the fans, he's like space aliens looking down on us like we're just ants, gnats, insects...

Peart >>>>> angry.gif RUSH FANS ARE LOSERS! T H E Y A R E N O T H I N G !!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlienSmiley.gif wacko.gif ohmy.gif

He likes Space Aliens, but not the ones who like Rush.

+1

+3

QUOTE (Scars @ Dec 8 2011, 10:17 PM)

+1

+3

+4