lerxt is 98th out of rolling stone's top100

hughes&kettner

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 5 2011, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Dec 4 2011, 01:17 AM)
a few people say that alex was even lucky to get in it at all. I dont know why people dont respect him or even ever heard of him. hes great. Hes way better than kurt Cobain.

Because realistically he isn't one of the 100 best guitarists in the world, nor did he break any huge new grounds stylistically. I'm not discrediting his guitar skills, I'm just saying there are at least 100 guitarists who are more deserving of a spot on the list. Unfortunately, most of those guitarists AREN'T on the list, and if they are they're improperly placed.

On a different note, anyone who doesn't think Mark Knopfler is one of the finest guitarists ever needs to have their head examined. He's a master of subtlety, dynamic and tone...a lot of that is due to the infinitely more difficult finger-picking style he plays with.

Mark Knopfler is amazing. yes.gif

Someone mentioned above that Steve Vai and Eric Johnson were omitted? True? I find that rather surprising and would love to know the reasons behind it.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 5 2011, 10:50 AM)
QUOTE (Nootch @ Dec 4 2011, 09:52 AM)
I think Alex should be higher too, but, wasn't the list derived from the votes of other guitar players. Alex himself voted, as someone else said. I realize Rolling Stone is no friend to  2.gif but I really don't see how they can be blamed when the list was a vote of guitar players.

This.

Everyone is always quick to bash Rolling Stone for this stuff. Of course, it is a poll that they managed, but read the beginning of the article. The top 100 guitarists weren't picked by Rolling tone, they were picked mainly by other diverse musicians.

Because of this, I am actually very surprised Alex placed so low. If you read the voters, I would think a lot more of those guys appreciate and respect Alex more than that

Exactly how I feel.

It's embarrassing to see him placed so low.

RS and their stupid lists.

right, Joni Mitchell is a better guitar player than Alex (Yeah OK! laugh.gif )

Unless you were a Rush fan, you'd probably think of a lot of other guitarists as 'one of the best' before Alex. Most of the names above him are big, well known ones - ones you would expect people to think of first when asked 'who's your favourite'

Unless you were really influenced by him, or Rush were one of your favourite bands, it would be easy to just forget about him until you'd already named a load of other guitarists.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 8 2011, 07:50 PM)
I have never taken that magazine seriously. Ever.

Aye, the only useful purpose of subjective lists like this is finding new guitarists/whatever the list is about that you didn't previously know.

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 8 2011, 11:13 AM)
Since fellow guitarists voted, I'm curious why Alex isn't as respected as I'm thinking he should be.

Somebody help me to understand why Alex was placed so low by fellow guitarists. Is he not technical enough? Creative enough? Influential enough?

It's all relative. As Rush fans, sure, we want to see Alex get his due, and obviously, occupying the 98th spot means he ranked towards the very bottom of this particular list. But if the project took into account all the people who ever garnered a decent amount of exposure for their playing, being placed 98th out of those many guitarists is really rather complimentary. I'm sure the compilers would want us to consider merely appearing on the list to be indicative of greatness.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 5 2011, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Dec 4 2011, 01:17 AM)
a few people say that alex was even lucky to get in it at all. I dont know why people dont respect him or even ever heard of him. hes great. Hes way better than kurt Cobain.

Because realistically he isn't one of the 100 best guitarists in the world, nor did he break any huge new grounds stylistically. I'm not discrediting his guitar skills, I'm just saying there are at least 100 guitarists who are more deserving of a spot on the list. Unfortunately, most of those guitarists AREN'T on the list, and if they are they're improperly placed.

On a different note, anyone who doesn't think Mark Knopfler is one of the finest guitarists ever needs to have their head examined. He's a master of subtlety, dynamic and tone...a lot of that is due to the infinitely more difficult finger-picking style he plays with.

dude- you are talking out of your ass.

not sure you are very well versed in the instrument to say the things you say.

i like mark knopfler just fine, but is he groudbreaking? no way in hell. but for lifeson, how many players in the rock genre used a classical guitar live...in a sports arena?? let alone weaved an electric guitar sound so perfectly into a 3 piece band? hmm? not many as well as lifeson.

there are less than 20 guitarists of any style who are truly groundbreaking.

if you want to argue that, then you need to do some research on the instrument. then come back and admit you don't really know jack shit about the history of the instrument.

it's pointless anyways to argue "he's better than him" or anything like that-

what you can't argue is longevity. people still pay $ to hear and see lifeson play- after 40 f-ing years. you think dire straits could do a tour with no new album and go on for 2 years? maybe playing the HOB tour.

my point is that lifeson is being dissed by being so low. that's all...

not sure why so many delta bravos around here are not sticking up for lerxt- well, i guess it's due to them being delta bravos.

if the nuts around here can't stick up for alex, then who will god damnit?

"at least 100 players better than him" what an asshole...i mean- it's your opinion and this is the internet. but god, you just come off like such a little fuchtard saying things like that.

i feel like lord helmet on spaceball 1...surrounded by assholes.

"keep firing assholes!!!!!!"