lerxt is 98th out of rolling stone's top100

hughes&kettner

those who will say "who cares, it's rolling stone"- stay out of my rant thread... laugh.gif

ok, lifeson...98th out of 100. really?!? i don't read the magazine, but saw it in the bookstore and wanted to see how off they were.

glad to see at least he made there list. but fooking bonnie rait, and mike campbell are higher up than alex. not to mention slash and willie f-ing nelson...how about joni mitchell?

yes i am biased. but i also am a fair person. prince and mark knopfler are not better guitarists that lerxt. if you think so, you should get your head examined. or go work for rolling stone.

what bothers me is that all the young kids who pick this mag up would be turned on to such "talents" as J mascis and Nels Cline before alex based on rolling stone's garbage of a list.

as a rush fan, i don't mind the lack of respect from national press...but DISRESPECT is an entirely different ballgame.

oh and how about derek trucks (who is higher than both randy rhoads and carlos santana)? what the hell is wrong with people?

at least they had hendrix at #1...and jimmy page right up where he belongs...no stve vai? no eric johnson? Steve morse or steve howe? NO...not god enough. but: jack white and ron ashton yes! i'd like to see a pole from guys taken at guitar shows across the US and see how different their list would be.

even players who are not rush fans give alex credit for being pure awesomeness....

SUCK IT ROLLING STONE. if i got your magazine as a gift i would recycle it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/10...arists-20111123

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 4 2011, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Dec 4 2011, 12:17 AM)
a few people say that alex was even lucky to get in it at all. I dont know why people dont respect him or even ever heard of him. hes great. Hes way better than kurt Cobain.

but less gnarly.

and the whole not shooting himself is a plus

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Dec 4 2011, 01:31 AM)
a few people say that alex was even lucky to get in it at all. I dont know why people dont respect him or even ever heard of him. hes great. Hes way better than kurt Cobain.

but less gnarly.

Oh ho ho, didn't expect that one. I admire your sense of humor.laugh.gif

I'm honestly not surprised by it. We all know that Rolling Stone has a fetish of not liking Rush, so why bother?

QUOTE (Oracle @ Dec 4 2011, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Dec 4 2011, 01:31 AM)

but less gnarly.

Oh ho ho, didn't expect that one. I admire your sense of humor.laugh.gif

I'm honestly not surprised by it. We all know that Rolling Stone has a fetish of not liking Rush, so why bother?

+1001001

I think Rolling Stones' list took into account the impact of the guitarist on music in general and on other musicians.

But from that perspective, Lifeson should be higher on the list as well. How many young guitarists have said to another young guitarist, "Well, sure, you can play Townshend's 'Squeeze Box' ... come talk to me when you have mastered Lifeson's 'La Villa Strangiato'."

I think Alex should be higher too, but, wasn't the list derived from the votes of other guitar players. Alex himself voted, as someone else said. I realize Rolling Stone is no friend to 2.gif but I really don't see how they can be blamed when the list was a vote of guitar players.

Lifeson like Tesla ( the man not the band) will never get the respect he deserves . If you play guitar and do not admire Lifeson's playing , his technique and his composition.......give it up because you don't understand the instrument. I just enjoy watching him play. the economy of his fingerings he really is a study in the instrument. I wish I learned to play like him from the start and didn't have SO MANY bad habits. To me he is the top of the line in rock and rolls instrumentalist. to me he is number 1 ! Edited by patjnev

QUOTE (J0N @ Dec 4 2011, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Dec 5 2011, 01:50 AM)
So we're mocking Mark Knopfler's high placement on this list, out of all people? Okay then.

Prince, too - he's a very very good guitarist.

I remember the first time I watched this - I was blown...away...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 4 2011, 09:20 PM)
QUOTE (J0N @ Dec 4 2011, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Dec 5 2011, 01:50 AM)
So we're mocking Mark Knopfler's high placement on this list, out of all people? Okay then.

Prince, too - he's a very very good guitarist.

I remember the first time I watched this - I was blown...away...

yeah, Prince is a great guitar player.....I just hate his music....

Wow , a thread on the R.S. top 100 Guitarists . Never saw one of these around hear cool10.gif

QUOTE (Nootch @ Dec 4 2011, 09:52 AM)
I think Alex should be higher too, but, wasn't the list derived from the votes of other guitar players. Alex himself voted, as someone else said. I realize Rolling Stone is no friend to 2.gif but I really don't see how they can be blamed when the list was a vote of guitar players.

This.

Everyone is always quick to bash Rolling Stone for this stuff. Of course, it is a poll that they managed, but read the beginning of the article. The top 100 guitarists weren't picked by Rolling tone, they were picked mainly by other diverse musicians.

Because of this, I am actually very surprised Alex placed so low. If you read the voters, I would think a lot more of those guys appreciate and respect Alex more than that

QUOTE (reani14 @ Dec 4 2011, 01:17 AM)

Because realistically he isn't one of the 100 best guitarists in the world, nor did he break any huge new grounds stylistically. I'm not discrediting his guitar skills, I'm just saying there are at least 100 guitarists who are more deserving of a spot on the list. Unfortunately, most of those guitarists AREN'T on the list, and if they are they're improperly placed.

On a different note, anyone who doesn't think Mark Knopfler is one of the finest guitarists ever needs to have their head examined. He's a master of subtlety, dynamic and tone...a lot of that is due to the infinitely more difficult finger-picking style he plays with.