SECTORS hemisheres question

third hand grace

My original LP and cassette of Hemispheres had a smaller pause at @ 4:24 (right before I bring truth and understanding) than the Remaster if I remember correctly.

DOES the SECTORS Hemispheres have the same length pause as Remaster?

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Thanks. I'm trying to add up the pros and cons to see if its worth it.

Personally...unless they added previously unavailable material, you won't get me to buy any remasters! I had the original CD's (well, and the LP's and cassettes as they came out and n some cases 8-tracks) and when they remastered the CD's the FIRST time, I picked them up through "freebies" with Columbia House (are they even in existence anymore?) and there is NO DISCERNIBLE DIFFERENCE! I think that MAYBE someone with extra crazy hearing MIGHT be a able to tell some subtle differences (and if you DO have that kind of hearing, you should go work as a mastering engineer) but to the average listener, it's a waste!

And I don't want to hear "Oh my God I can tell the difference" Yeah, you got "rooked"!

If you DON'T have the discs already, don't waste your hard earned money!

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 2 2011, 06:47 PM)
Personally...unless they added previously unavailable material, you won't get me to buy any remasters! I had the original CD's (well, and the LP's and cassettes as they came out and n some cases 8-tracks) and when they remastered the CD's the FIRST time, I picked them up through "freebies" with Columbia House (are they even in existence anymore?) and there is NO DISCERNIBLE DIFFERENCE! I think that MAYBE someone with extra crazy hearing MIGHT be a able to tell some subtle differences (and if you DO have that kind of hearing, you should go work as a mastering engineer) but to the average listener, it's a waste!

And I don't want to hear "Oh my God I can tell the difference" Yeah, you got "rooked"!

Well when you're listening from a cheap system or your computer's crappy speakers, then no, you're not going to hear a difference. But the reports are coming in that these discs have been remastered to bring out audio qualities that were not heard on the previously available discs, so while your rant is cute, I don't think it's exceptionally grounded in reality.

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 2 2011, 07:47 PM)

Seriously and with all due respect.

Speak for yourself (which you did).

There are those like myself (musician to be exact) who can hear sonic differences in music in the way it is mixed, mastered, remastered etc etc.

We appreciate when sonic standards are raised and understand the subtle sonic differences. Especially those of us with higher end home theater and car stereo equipment.

QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 2 2011, 08:03 PM)
Personally...unless they added previously unavailable material, you won't get me to buy any remasters!  I had the original CD's (well, and the LP's and cassettes as they came out and n some cases 8-tracks)  and when they remastered the CD's the FIRST time, I picked them up through "freebies" with Columbia House (are they even in existence anymore?) and there is NO DISCERNIBLE DIFFERENCE!  I think that MAYBE someone with extra crazy hearing MIGHT be a able to tell some subtle differences (and if you DO have that kind of hearing, you should go work as a mastering engineer) but to the average listener, it's a waste!

And I don't want to hear "Oh my God I can tell the difference"  Yeah, you got "rooked"!

There are those like myself (musician to be exact) who can hear sonic differences in music in the way it is mixed, mastered, remastered etc etc.

We appreciate when sonic standards are raised and understand the subtle sonic differences. Especially those of us with higher end home theater and car stereo equipment.

goodpost.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself!

These new Sector Boxes are out of this world! I have an incredible stereo/home theater and my ears are loving these new remastered gems!!!

Boring guys...yes musician here...yes recording engineer training, yes reference standard equipment that I can listen to it on, and I can tell you from hearing the hype on other releases....

BULLSH*T!!!

Thank you, and if YOUR ears are THAT GOOD, then go get a job at masterdisc....

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 3 2011, 01:52 PM)
Boring guys...yes musician here...yes recording engineer training, yes reference standard equipment that I can listen to it on, and I can tell you from hearing the hype on other releases....

BULLSH*T!!!

Thank you, and if YOUR ears are THAT GOOD, then go get a job at masterdisc....

Uh-huh. So, all the people that have reported their findings on the new mixes, calling out the differences in bass, the strings on HYF, Alex's guitars being brought up in the mix on Signals... all those people are just lying then? Making it all up?

Well maybe the bass IS a little deeper because the mastering engineer said that he raised the bass levels in an article I read...back when they mastered for vinyl, they ran the bass through what's known as an RIAA amp which decoded the bass for turntables. When CD's came into being they used the mastering for "tape" which didn't decode that. All of the original CD's that came out had that same sound but no hiss (well unless it was on the master tape...listen to the beginning of Xanadu on CD, you can hear hiss when the paper leader ends, I'd be willing to bet he cleaned that up also)

The original remasters of a LOT of CD's came back with serious COMPRESSION that made everything sound HORRIBLE....best two versions to hear that are Chicago's original CD sound vs. their "remastered" CD sound...BIG difference, and the OLDER version sounds better.

Now from what I've read the mastering engineer cleaned up some noise, raised the bass level that seems to make people CREAM because it give them that "LP WARMTH" that we've all grown to love, and did a little EQ hear and there....

AS far as I'm concerned, NOT worth the $$$ because the differences, while possibly subtle, aren't enough to make it WORTH the purchase when I can play with a little EQ on my own and make it sound just as nice, and not pay.

If I were getting INTO Rush and wanted back catalog, of COURSE I would recommend it, but as far as my ears are concerned, you didn't do enough for me to part with my $$...I'd be willing to bet that most of the people that DO buy them will turn them into Mp3's anyway to play in their iPods doh.gif

And MAYBE the "surround" mixes are cool but....not my cup of tea. (and only on ONE of the discs per set)

My recording prof used to have "soiree's" at his house and justified them as "listening parties" where he'd play us remastered stuff vs. original stuff and we'd get to pick what sounded best... Except for some Steely Dan (because Roger Nichols is GOD) everything else there wasn't enough to warrant it....

Buyer beware....that's all I'm sayin'!

you all would have failed this essay question in my class LOL!

none of you answered THE QUESTION.

oh well, guess I'll never find out

QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 2 2011, 10:03 PM)
Personally...unless they added previously unavailable material, you won't get me to buy any remasters!  I had the original CD's (well, and the LP's and cassettes as they came out and n some cases 8-tracks)  and when they remastered the CD's the FIRST time, I picked them up through "freebies" with Columbia House (are they even in existence anymore?) and there is NO DISCERNIBLE DIFFERENCE!  I think that MAYBE someone with extra crazy hearing MIGHT be a able to tell some subtle differences (and if you DO have that kind of hearing, you should go work as a mastering engineer) but to the average listener, it's a waste!

And I don't want to hear "Oh my God I can tell the difference"  Yeah, you got "rooked"!

I raise my glass to you!...great post!!...so many people jump on the "gotta have it" remastered band wagon and I..like you (also a musician) rarely if ever hear audible difference in the so called re-masters....to be honest ( and this dates me) the 12" pieces of vinyl sound way better in every spectrum... trink39.gif

QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Dec 3 2011, 06:34 PM)
I always wondered that myself. Are the differences between the various versions more than I could adjust at home myself just by turning a few knobs or fiddling with my graphic eq?

In some cases yes! In others no... from what I've read, they've taken the two track master tapes of these albums, and ran them through using some new technology...from what I read by the remastering engineer, he raised some bass levels (to make the sound warmer like an old LP which he remembers hearing these originally) and did a little clean up of some clutter. (i.e. EQ) and remove noise in quiet passages.

As I posted earlier, my recording prof used to do listening experiments with us and was able to make "digital" playback sound like "album" playback which is what a LOT of people tend to like (because they grew up with that sound, and to someone that's only heard digital, that could be a major revelation because of how deep and warm it sounds)

To sum up...to me...except for the packaging and new liner notes, I doubt the differences will be THAT different, except for MAYBE the first few albums...

My original LP and cassette of Hemispheres had a smaller pause at @ 4:24 (right before I bring truth and understanding) than the Remaster if I remember correctly.

Can't help with an answer but I read somewhere that there were different releases of Hemispheres-(when it was only vinyl/cassette on first release) US and Euro, the US version got the longer pause. It seems as if the longer pause was "put in" when it was released on cd.

So I guess the answer would be that the longer pause would also be in this release.

Strange though, because every live version I've heard/saw live has the shorter pause.

Go figure.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Dec 5 2011, 01:48 PM)

I listened to Hemispheres from box 2 today and the pause is the same as it ever was. I never heard a version without the pause.

there always WAS a pause.

The problem I have is there seems to be a LONGER pause on the remaster

and when you grew up w/ it one way that extra few seconds really seems awkward!