Time Machine DVD question

Atomic

So I finally got around to watching the second half of the DVD last night and is it me, or is the drum solo on this disk seriously under-whelming?

I am not Neil bashing (he's god after all) but man the sound on the solo sounds really muted, has some undertones humming along and in some cases, drowns out the drumming. The solo itself is okay enough, but it seems the sound mixing is waaaay off on that one.

I saw the TM tour twice (ottawa and toronto) and don't remember those droning tones as background to the solo. Was that actually at the concert or done in post production?

It's just the patches Neil is using and how they come over the PA....the electronic solo part on the S&A tour was the same way live and on the DVD...I'm a drummer and love what Neil has done but I must say that I'm not a huge fan of the latest electric portion of his new solos...the drone that you hear is a tongue drum sorta sound thats what I meant by patch.I hope that answers your questions...Cheers.

Are you sure you're not just watching it in 5.1 surround on a Stereo system? I might be making it up because i haven't checked but that could be a problem and switching to 2.0 PCM Stereo might help. I haven't paid too much attention to the volume of the solo but I never noticed the stuff you have.

QUOTE (Itty12 @ Dec 2 2011, 03:11 PM)
Are you sure you're not just watching it in 5.1 surround on a Stereo system? I might be making it up because i haven't checked but that could be a problem and switching to 2.0 PCM Stereo might help. I haven't paid too much attention to the volume of the solo but I never noticed the stuff you have.

I don't have a surround sound and played it on default settings. The rest of the DVD sounds fine.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I kinda like the "droning hum" sound. I mean, (and I never thought I'd say this) but after umpteen live albums and DVDs, the drum solo portion of the show is starting to get a tad monotonous. I'm glad there's a bit of something different.

Clem

I rather liked that it was different with the tones. I had seen the Rush in Rio DVD about a year before seeing them in toronto for the first leg of the TM tour and I was seriously disappointed when all I got was a downgraded version of the Rio solo. I was happy he changed it up a little for the second leg.