Rush Sector Remaster Sets

capoetc

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Dec 28 2011, 01:57 PM)
Question: is the Caress of Steel disc demonstrably better than the 97 remaster?

In a side-by-side, the Sector version sounds better than the '97 version to me. Whether that qualifies as "demonstrable" or not is another issue....

Peace,

Ron

i got Sectors 2 and 3 for Christmas, and i think they're fantastic. of course they're loud (all music is nowadays) but the important thing is that they aren't brick-walled to shit like Vapour Trails or Metallica. i do not own very high quality speakers, but i did notice a clarity improvement on AFTK, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves.

i listened to the DVDs on my family's old 5.1 system that is 10 years old and has only rear speaker (thus making it a 4.1 system hardeeharhar). the 5.1 version of AFTK is awesome, and i have no issues with the disc... i think. to be honest, i never really listen to Xanadu before this, but i really really enjoyed it.

When i played the Signals 5.1, i instantly noticed more guitar upfront in Subdivisions, and odd vocals. it seems like its a different take of the vocals at certain points, but im not sure as i'd have to do a side by side comparison. on Hold your Fire, the drums before the second verse of Time Stand Still kinda annoys me but thats bugger-all.

i'm gonna do a complete re-listen to all discs once i get Sector 1 and go back to school and listen on the MNK 5.1 system in the studio.

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Dec 28 2011, 05:01 PM)

In a side-by-side, the Sector version sounds better than the '97 version to me. Whether that qualifies as "demonstrable" or not is another issue....

Peace,

Ron

Thanks Ron, appreciate the assessment. Trying to figure out, which, if any box set to purchase, and COS is a key album

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Dec 29 2011, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Dec 28 2011, 05:01 PM)

Peace,

Ron

Thanks Ron, appreciate the assessment. Trying to figure out, which, if any box set to purchase, and COS is a key album

Buy all 3 sets. They are all significant improvements and the DVDs are incredible.

I'm not an audiophile or anything, but I do like a good sound and when I hear albums like Vapor Trails (or more recently Stay Positive from The Hold Steady) I do notice how compressed and horrible they sound.

With that said, I'm enjoying with what I've heard so far (Sectors 2 & 3). I don't have time to actually just sit and listen to music... whenever I listen to music it's in the car or while I'm at work - and these albums sound considerably better than the last remasters. I understand how you can look at the wave file and SEE how it's loud, but my ears don't care what it looks like. Personally I think Hold Your Fire sounds great... I've listened to it more since Christmas than I've had in the last 2 years.

I know I'm bringing this late to the game, but could someone please explain to me in detail exactly what the fault is with the A Farewell To Kings DVD from the Sector 2 boxed set. In brief, shortly after I bought all three sets, Amazon contacted me and the distributor sent me the replacement discs. What with one thing and another I've only just got around swapping them out of my sets. The specific fault with Fly By Night was easy to identify, but what is the fault with A Farewell to Kings? If nothing else Mrs.Hackenbacker is getting properly fed up with listening to Closer To the Heart over and over again. Any help would be appreciated.

I cant wait for Sector 4 and 5!

Sector 4: Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts (in 5.1), Test For Echo, and Different Stages

Sector 5: Vapor Trail (Remixed & Remastered), R30 (Complete Setlist), Snakes and Arrow, Time Machine Tour, Clockwork Angels (In 5.1)

:drool:

I know I'm bringing this late to the game, but could someone please explain to me in detail exactly what the fault is with the A Farewell To Kings DVD from the Sector 2 boxed set. In brief, shortly after I bought all three sets, Amazon contacted me and the distributor sent me the replacement discs. What with one thing and another I've only just got around swapping them out of my sets. The specific fault with Fly By Night was easy to identify, but what is the fault with A Farewell to Kings? If nothing else Mrs.Hackenbacker is getting properly fed up with listening to Closer To the Heart over and over again. Any help would be appreciated.

Can anyone help with this please?

Can anyone help with this please?

From another post-

I've had to return my box sets - the glitches go way beyond the Fly By Night cd and the Farewell to Kings dvd. There is a mastering problem with the Kings cd, with some intrusive crackling and distrotion across the opening track. The opening notes of 'Spirit Of Radio' are badly clipped at the start of Permanent Waves. And 'All The World's A Stage' suffers from a volume spike midway thru 'By-Tor' that causes a chugging distortion across the rest of the album, making it sound like a damaged cassette recording. It's a crying shame, because the good discs sound great, but the bad outweighs the good in these sets. Let's hope they take time out and properly review the whole set and reissue it glitch-free.

I have them and like them a lot going through the hi points

1 i love the dvd audio for each one i really fell back in love with signals

2 some of theses mixes for the cds are incredible especially hold your fire and power windows farewell to kings and caress of steel

3 the packaging is superb, as i had all of these on vinyl they were pretty accurate (though not perfect see below)

4 best 5.1 song Xanadu

5 best cd song Mission

The very few low points

1 after the 5.1 version of moving pictures came out it had 3 great videos, I would have loved to see a version of countdown video (never realeased on dvd at all 5.1 or otherwise) also subdivisions video in 5.1 as well

2 not really a complaint but no lyrics for the first album anywhere

3 fly by night and signals were not gatefolds on the original vinyls (not that big a deal though)

All in all they are worth it

Billy bob joe if, the fbn cd is bad or the aftk dvd is bad you can get them replaced, you might just want to do what I did and go head and doit sooner (I bought mine used off ebay but the problems might be fixed now) if they are you can contact them from the ph# inside the boxset main booklet, and theyll be glad to help you