What if Geddy agreed w/ some & gave up on singing?

Presto-a RUSH fan!

So some people think Geddy has lost it singing wise. Let's say Geddy agrees, or say he couldn't sing anymore, period. Would anyone be ok with them putting out completely instrumental albums and then touring and maybe even playing some of the classic songs, but without Geddy singing? Heck, the crowd could sing for him!

But would you want RUSH to continue to play amazing music, without any vocals and lyrics?

Think about it, they can still jam on their instruments and probably will for another 10 years, would you rather RUSH just hang it up? Or would you support just instrumental records and concerts?

I guess they could use a voice track for the old songs in concert, but knowing RUSH, they wouldn't do that. Then again, knowing RUSH they would probably just quit all together, but just for a FUN hypothetical debate.

I would still buy the records and go to the concerts, but I am known for being a renown fanboy and msn_sheep.png.

What about you?

Rush going down the instrumental path wouldn't be bad to see. I could imagine the guys doing a completely instrumental show without Geddy singing, but it wouldn't be an actual Rush show without his vocals (as horrendous as they are bound to get at some point).

I think it would be great if they made instrumental albums once Geddy's voice is completely gone. I would also go to an all instrumental concert. I think it would be a lot of fun having the crowd sing. Unfortunetly, I don't see either happening. Once Geddy decides he can't sing anymore, they'll just hang it up. They are dedicated to playing the songs exactly as they were on the album so this doesn't seem likely.

I would love an entire album of instrumentals, especially if the lyrics (not the vocals) are as bad as they are on S&A. Edited by laughedatbytime

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 26 2011, 12:33 AM)
I think it would be great if they made instrumental albums once Geddy's voice is completely gone. I would also go to an all instrumental concert. I think it would be a lot of fun having the crowd sing. Unfortunetly, I don't see either happening. Once Geddy decides he can't sing anymore, they'll just hang it up. They are dedicated to playing the songs exactly as they were on the album so this doesn't seem likely.

I agree they probably wouldn't do it. But it would be better than nothing if that is the route they had to go.

That said, how is it that they have not put out a greatest hits album with all the instrumentals. I know they have the different record companies, but I don't by any of the greatest hits albums and I would buy one that had every instrumental on it. I wonder why they haven't done this...yet? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Nov 26 2011, 02:06 AM)
Regardless of Geddy's singing ability, I would love an instrumental album. I wish they'd done one years ago. But I sadly doubt they'd ever do it.

Neil wouldn't let happen, there's still preachy lyrics that state how not to preach to others to write! laugh.gif

• Like 1

Mighty Geddy's just so fine on most occasions. I'd be bored to death of full instrumental record. Was just thinking while listening old Yes how Jon Anderson would do with Rush..;, or Steve Perry wink.gif. Just dreaming.

Some say that Geddy was ill that night the gig was recorded. I don't believe that at all. They should have canceled that if that news was known beforehand and he looks just the normal Geddy we love smile.gif

QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 26 2011, 12:17 AM)
Regardless of Geddy's singing ability, I would love an instrumental album. I wish they'd done one years ago. But I sadly doubt they'd ever do it.

Neil wouldn't let happen, there's still preachy lyrics that state how not to preach to others to write! laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

VERY nice!

I would love an instrumental album, but it's such a different way of composing for them than their usual. I honestly don't know if they could pull of an entire 40 minutes (much less 70) and make it all great. Between Exit Stage Left and S&A they struggled to make even one great instrumental song. I just don't see it happening.

Also, if Geddy's voice became even worse and even the hardcore fans had to admit it was no longer working, the band wouldn't try any kind of alternate method - they'd just call it a day.

• Like 1

I wouldnt be ok with intrumental albums, mostly because im not sure they can really write instrumentals that are good enough for this. They arent writing YYZs anymore. TMMB is good, but I dont know, its not very memorable for me.

Id rather him just sing low on albums. No highs. Sing within your comfortable range, no straining. I know when he sings low now live even that doesnt sound very good, but still, its better than nothing at all and them just writing instrumentals. I get bored of those very quickly. I need vocal melodies to keep my attention. Thats the thing I love most about ALL music, singing. Thats what really gets to me. Without that its just some dudes showing off what they can do on their instruments which doesnt impress me anymore like it did when I was a kid.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 26 2011, 02:17 AM)

if you expect sunshine and rainbows listen to Journey...

QUOTE (hobo73 @ Nov 26 2011, 12:11 PM)
I wouldn't wanna see Rush sans Geddy, but I WOULD LOVE A COMPLETELY INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM.

Agreed.

But remember, this is just fantasy land.

But again I ask, how have the marketing gurus not put out a complete GREATEST HITS with just instrumentals. Here is a name for it: Instrumental : All of RUSH's Instrumentals.

I don't buy greatest hits albums. I think those are for collectors or new fans, or when trying to introduce someone to RUSH. But if they put all the current instrumentals on one greatest hits, I am all about that.

Why do you think they haven't done that yet??? confused13.gif

I suppose it would be better than nothing, and I'd go just to see the guys play, but I'd miss the heck out of Geddy's voice. I also don't think they could pull in a casual crowd without Geddy singing.

I would suggest they could play their instrumental roles in new/different bands with different vocalists (and completely new music), but I can't see them splitting up, adding people, or being in other bands when they've been with each other exclusively for 40 years.

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 26 2011, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (hobo73 @ Nov 26 2011, 12:11 PM)
I wouldn't wanna see Rush sans Geddy, but I WOULD LOVE A COMPLETELY INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM.

Agreed.

But remember, this is just fantasy land.

But again I ask, how have the marketing gurus not put out a complete GREATEST HITS with just instrumentals. Here is a name for it: Instrumental : All of RUSH's Instrumentals.

I don't buy greatest hits albums. I think those are for collectors or new fans, or when trying to introduce someone to RUSH. But if they put all the current instrumentals on one greatest hits, I am all about that.

Why do you think they haven't done that yet??? confused13.gif

Just burn a CD with the instrumentals on them... confused13.gif

Why do you need an official release when they are all on albums? (They're not non-album singles)

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 26 2011, 09:40 PM)
I suppose it would be better than nothing, and I'd go just to see the guys play, but I'd miss the heck out of Geddy's voice. I also don't think they could pull in a casual crowd without Geddy singing.

I would suggest they could play their instrumental roles in new/different bands with different vocalists (and completely new music), but I can't see them splitting up, adding people, or being in other bands when they've been with each other exclusively for 40 years.

I would miss Geddy's voice too.

Hopefully this won't ever be the case.

For a 58 yr old man who had one of the highest, best and distinctive voices in music (of course IMO), I wouldn't mind if Geddy just dialed it back and as much as it would suck to not hear the songs where he has to use his voice to it's fullest, I could live if Geddy just sang within the limits he now has for the rest of RUSH's career.

I wouldn't mind an instrumental album. He can still play even if he can't sing anymore. I would miss his voice though.