What a joke! Eddie Van Halen above Alex Lifeson?

Tom Sawyer

Here is the list...

List

I agree until we get to EVH... then I stick my finger in my throat!!

Alex Lifeson is 10X the guitarist that wammy-bar-Eddie is!!

Edited by Tom Sawyer

You're insane. People usually vote for who is technically better, or more influential and Eddie does things far more difficult than anything Alex has ever played, and has been FAR more influential to other guitarists.

Just because Alex is in a band you like more doesnt mean the entire world should think he should be ranked over a guitarist significantly more legendary.

QUOTE (clem @ Nov 23 2011, 10:01 PM)
Yeah....well.....

Some people on THIS forum actually believe Geddy is a better keyboardist than Tony Banks.

Clem

Just ridiculous. I cant believe anyone really thinks Ged is better on the keys than a guy that spent his entire life learning how to play the instrument.

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 23 2011, 10:01 PM)
You're insane. People usually vote for who is technically better, or more influential and Eddie does things far more difficult than anything Alex has ever played, and has been FAR more influential to other guitarists.

Just because Alex is in a band you like more doesnt mean the entire world should think he should be ranked over a guitarist significantly more legendary.

This.

EVH being ranked above Alex isn't that criminal and can at least be justified. Now if it were Slash or Kirk Hammett, then maybe we'd have some issues.

How many artists do you hear and say, "He was completely influenced by Alex"? On the other hand, there are endless guitarists using Eddie's style.

Not that Alex isn't great. He just doesn't stand out as one with a singular distinctive, signature style or sound. That's why he'll never top this kind of list.

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 24 2011, 12:17 AM)
How many artists do you hear and say, "He was completely influenced by Alex"? On the other hand, there are endless guitarists using Eddie's style.

Not that Alex isn't great. He just doesn't stand out as one with a singular distinctive, signature style or sound. That's why he'll never top this kind of list.

What? Alex signature style and sound is probably his greatest strength. As soon as you hear him play on anything you immediately know who it is. There are not too many guitar players you can say that about.

I think Eddie is more of a sonic innovator than Alex. He was like a mad scientist with his effects, amps, and countless " tricks " that he pioneered. As far as overall guitar playing, I would take Alex. He has delved into more styles than Eddie, IMO. Of course, Eddie influenced more with his style, but that same style is very much an 80s cliche now...and how bout songwriting?...Eddie has yet to write anything as epic as Hemispheres...the chord changes in that song are way beyond " bottoms up " and " beautiful girls"...and I have interviews where Eddie States he can't finger pick for shit....broons bane anyone? I think too many people put way too much emphasis on soloing techniques than overall guitar musicianship. Edited by Xanadoood

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 24 2011, 12:59 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Nov 24 2011, 12:17 AM)
How many artists do you hear and say, "He was completely influenced by Alex"?  On the other hand, there are endless guitarists using Eddie's style.

Not that Alex isn't great.  He just doesn't stand out as one with a singular distinctive, signature style or sound.  That's why he'll never top this kind of list.

What? Alex signature style and sound is probably his greatest strength. As soon as you hear him play on anything you immediately know who it is. There are not too many guitar players you can say that about.

Alex may have his own "sound" going, but it's hardly discernible on an EVH-level. It's so easy for us giant Rush fans to go on and on about Alex's guitar work in the context of Rush, but I honestly don't think anyone outside of a fan would pick up on his use of chords, effects, etc. If you play EVH without the rest of the band, chances are you could still tell it's EVH; if you play Alex without the rest of the band, I don't think he would be as recognizable.

But really, there's nothing wrong with that. Alex may never be known on the level that these other guitarists are, but that's because he does his best to make sure that not only he, but the other 2 guys in the band get heard.

There are far better guitarists than Alex Lifeson who do not even make that list. Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore....

Anyone who under estimates or fails to acknowledge the seismic impact that EVH made on the world of guitar playing back in the late 70s is just plain ignorant.

Mind you, Steve Hackett was "tapping" long before Van Halen.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 24 2011, 04:53 AM)
There are far better guitarists than Alex Lifeson who do not even make that list. Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore....

Anyone who under estimates or fails to acknowledge the seismic impact that EVH made on the world of guitar playing back in the late 70s is just plain ignorant.

Mind you, Steve Hackett was "tapping" long before Van Halen.

Agreed about Eddie, but how many guitar players do you see play like him now?...His style was cool for a short period, and he inspired guys who now reside on YouTube, doing covers of Panama.

The past 15 years or so aside, Eddie Van Halen is a great composer and arranger. He's so much more than his technique. The man is responsible for so many memorable licks and riffs and solos. The tone. And let's not forget, the songs are good.

It's too bad Eddie Van Halen's personality flaws and lifestyle are denigrating his legacy. He's an all-time great, but he makes it very hard to acknowledge that fact.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 23 2011, 09:14 PM)
Eddie Van Halen influenced a whole generation of guitar players just like Neil influenced countless drummers. He should be ranked high although I think Eddie is a shell of his former self at this point.

Who knew a tongue was so important to guitar playing?

----------------------------------

Let's not mistake quick fingers for ability. Would you rather listen to Mamlsteen or Gilmore? Flashier does not equal better, and Al can be both shredder and very emotive.

Plus, Al got over his coke problem, AVH is still a drunk.

This is silly. Sometimes it is ok for a fan to admit that someone else may be better than their guy / gal. Drop the blinders. Alex is a great guitarist and much better than his ranking in my opinion, but maybe you weren't around when the first Van Halen album came out. I remember it distinctly as I was down at Sam the Recordman in Toronto on my weekly visit and the guy there recommended this new album that just came out. It was a huge lp and Eddie's style and sound was revolutionary at the time. He had FAR more influence than Alex will ever have.

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Nov 24 2011, 09:53 AM)
This is silly. Sometimes it is ok for a fan to admit that someone else may be better than their guy / gal. Drop the blinders. Alex is a great guitarist and much better than his ranking in my opinion, but maybe you weren't around when the first Van Halen album came out. I remember it distinctly as I was down at Sam the Recordman in Toronto on my weekly visit and the guy there recommended this new album that just came out. It was a huge lp and Eddie's style and sound was revolutionary at the time. He had FAR more influence than Alex will ever have.

Influenced who though? ...seriously, Eddie influenced a ton of sunset strip ,flashy , hair metal guitarists...you'll hear more of guys like iommi and page in modern players.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 24 2011, 07:51 AM)
The past 15 years or so aside, Eddie Van Halen is a great composer and arranger. He's so much more than his technique. The man is responsible for so many memorable licks and riffs and solos. The tone. And let's not forget, the songs are good.

It's too bad Eddie Van Halen's personality flaws and lifestyle are denigrating his legacy. He's an all-time great, but he makes it very hard to acknowledge that fact.

1978-1996... 18 years.

1996-2011... 15 years.

We're getting close to the point where one can honestly say "the first half of his career was brilliant, the second half was pathetic and sad."

And that's if you count the years between 1986 and 1996 as part of the brilliance, which a lot of people don't.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 24 2011, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Syrinx @ Nov 24 2011, 09:53 AM)
This is silly.  Sometimes it is ok for a fan to admit that someone else may be better than their guy / gal.  Drop the blinders.  Alex is a great guitarist and much better than his ranking in my opinion, but maybe you weren't around when the first Van Halen album came out.  I remember it distinctly as I was down at Sam the Recordman in Toronto on my weekly visit and the guy there recommended this new album that just came out.  It was a huge lp and Eddie's style and sound was revolutionary at the time.  He had FAR more influence than Alex will ever have.

Influenced who though? ...seriously, Eddie influenced a ton of sunset strip ,flashy , hair metal guitarists...you'll hear more of guys like iommi and page in modern players.

I can't really disagree with this. It seemed like in the 80's, everyone wanted to play just like Eddie Van Halen to the exclusion of all else. After that, his influence seemed to be part of a greater whole, with modern guitarists looking at many, many prior guitarists for inspiration.

I could be wrong, it's just a theory.