Ged answers his critics

eshine

The one real problem I do have with Rush is the cynical way they've suddenly embraced touring, especially Peart. Anyone who has read articles about the Record Industry over the past five years would know that touring, for those that can, is now considered the only way to make real money and the product, be it CD, DVD or download, is practically a promotional tool for the tour. Rush know that and are now exploiting it. Of course, nobody is forced to pay big money to attend a concert but they know that the majority of hardcore fans will turn out in enough numbers to make it worthwhile.

This may seem a jaded view of things but this is the reality. Rush are touring more because it's the only way to make big money out of their art.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 01:29 PM)
I never got that argument that they're going out for months at a time year after year to spend more time with their families. If they really wanted to be around their families more, you would think they'd stick close to home and make albums.

They're entitled to do whatever they want, obviously. I just find that most people are eager to jump on the bandwagon of accepting whatever reasons Rush wants to give out for doing what they do, and accepting them at face value. Their heroes can do no wrong. They're always given the benefit of the doubt.

I don't just accept it. I question it. Of course I'm telling them how to do their jobs. It doesn't mean they'll listen, as they never have, but it's a message board discussing Rush, and I'm discussing them from my point of view. For many years I loved all the decisions they've made. Very often in recent years I don't. No one is required to agree. From my point of view, if we all did agree, talking about them would get very boring, very fast.

They haven't been touring year after year. There have been significant breaks between tours the last decade or so.

And I don't think I'm giving Rush the benefit of the doubt. I like the fact they're still a touring band. They've been top notch the last few times I've seen them and I'm hoping for a couple of more chances.

Rush isn't doing anything different than most of their contemporaries. In fact, they're doing more.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 24 2011, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 01:29 PM)
I never got that argument that they're going out for months at a time year after year to spend more time with their families.  If they really wanted to be around their families more, you would think they'd stick close to home and make albums.

They're entitled to do whatever they want, obviously.  I just find that most people are eager to jump on the bandwagon of accepting whatever reasons Rush wants to give out for doing what they do, and accepting them at face value.  Their heroes can do no wrong.  They're always given the benefit of the doubt.

I don't just accept it.  I question it.  Of course I'm telling them how to do their jobs.  It doesn't mean they'll listen, as they never have, but it's a message board discussing Rush, and I'm discussing them from my point of view.  For many years I loved all the decisions they've made.  Very often in recent years I don't.  No one is required to agree.  From my point of view, if we all did agree, talking about them would get very boring, very fast.

They haven't been touring year after year. There have been significant breaks between tours the last decade or so.

And I don't think I'm giving Rush the benefit of the doubt. I like the fact they're still a touring band. They've been top notch the last few times I've seen them and I'm hoping for a couple of more chances.

Rush isn't doing anything different than most of their contemporaries. In fact, they're doing more.

and doing it better than most

Everyone in this thread should be made to defend their opinions in cage fights. A good afternoon of bloody cage fighting between all of you would not only give me good entertainment but would get your frustrations worked out and would end this silly thread tangent...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 24 2011, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 24 2011, 10:57 AM)
They are clearly not touring because they enjoy it so much. They're touring for the money. If I was in their position, I would probably do the same. If that's your definition of cash grab, then so be it.

It is.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 24 2011, 10:57 AM)
Just smilies-8579.png of course, but I seriously think this may be the first time you've had a total invalid argument.

You're entitled to your opinion obviously, but I think you actually proved my argument where I quoted you above.

Alas...

Damn, Rush have become lying money grubbing capitalist pigs who simply do not care about artistic integrity or being creative!

When hasn't touring been a "cash grab"?

It can be argued that it always is, except when it's done just for the love of performing. Do they give it their all each performance? Yes, because they're professionals. Does that they mean they love the process? Not necessarily.

And it's a level of degree. Going on tour to support an album makes sense. You're doing a job and making money, yes, but you're taking your new creative endeavor out on the road. When it's tons of touring not in support of any new creative endeavor, even going as far as doing two legs of tours often playing the same areas or even specific locales, supporting nothing, it just seems less noble to me, and really solely for the money.

It's fine, they're entitled to do what they want and go for the money jugular. I'm just commenting on what I'm seeing from my point of view.

Supporting nothing? They have an entire career, reputation and back catalogue to support. The product to support is there. And so is the demand. Why not tour when you still can? Yes, the day to day grind on the road certainly is not appealing, but being on stage is appealing. It's their livelihood. To Rush and a lot of us fans.

There has obviously been a paradigm shift in the music business. And Rush as seem to have adapted well to it.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 24 2011, 11:48 AM)
Everyone in this thread should be made to defend their opinions in cage fights. A good afternoon of bloody cage fighting between all of you would not only give me good entertainment but would get your frustrations worked out and would end this silly thread tangent...

yes.gif 1287.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 24 2011, 11:48 AM)

yes.gif 1287.gif laugh.gif

angel.gif

http://poccdn.com/images/articles/penalty-flag.jpg

unneccessary roughness....

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 24 2011, 01:40 PM)
The one real problem I do have with Rush is the cynical way they've suddenly embraced touring, especially Peart. Anyone who has read articles about the Record Industry over the past five years would know that touring, for those that can, is now considered the only way to make real money and the product, be it CD, DVD or download, is practically a promotional tool for the tour. Rush know that and are now exploiting it. Of course, nobody is forced to pay big money to attend a concert but they know that the majority of hardcore fans will turn out in enough numbers to make it worthwhile.
This may seem a jaded view of things but this is the reality. Rush are touring more because it's the only way to make big money out of their art.

I love that...the "cynical way". Do you know the history of RUSH? Did you know that thru all their early albums all they did was tour and tour and tour. That is how they became famous and so amazing playing live. Not by being on Canadian Idol or having one hit song. They busted their chops and got nothing for it. (money wise)

Now, they can tour big venues. Go places that they want to go and like you said, you are NOT forced to go.

What true fan is pissed that their supposed "favorite" band, who puts on an amazing 3 hour show, is touring too much?

Now if they put on an 1 hour and 30 minute show? Like MOST bands of their era, maybe you could say that, but I will tell you what, they would STILL sell out and real fans would be happy with that.

If you know ANYTHING about RUSH then you know they don't like touring, especially now. But if they are cashing in on some LONG OVERDUE MAJOR SUCCESS and giving fans a treat. Why would any fan be mad about that? Well besides the cynical, never happy with anything "fans".

And I guarantee you, RUSH has always maintained that they would not go out and tour or make albums if they weren't doing so at a high level. So I don't think anyone has to worry about them being one of those endless number of old bands that tours bars and small venues when they can't play at their best. Even if Geddy can't sing like he used to, he does good enough that most fans aren't upset when he has an off night. EVERY singer has an off night. In fact, if RUSH just doesn't play the songs that he has to kill his voice to sing, they have enough material to put on a 4 hour concert that most fans would be happy to see. I said most, because there will ALWAYS be the great fans like you who aren't happy about anything.

I usually go to 1 maybe 2 shows each tour. And every time I go I think, this could be the last time I see this band. So at this stage of their career they can do whatever they please, release endless DVDs, tour continuously and grab as much cash as they can, and I don't blame them one bit. And neither do the 10 to 15 thousand fans each night that show up.

It's so funny to hear people on a RUSH fan website, complain "waahhh, my band tours too much. And when they do, they play these LOOOONNNGGG 3 hour shows....and they release endless products that I am not forced to buy, but for those who want the stuff it's there"

You'd be the same one bitching if RUSH didn't tour. Or if they didn't put out more DVDs and CDs. I can hear it now "They just sit in their mansions living their lives with their families and don't care about their fans...and why don't they put out more DVDs?"

Some people are just never happy with anything. The thing I can't figure out is why, so many people who have so many problems with all aspects of RUSH, come to this site and have 3400 to 25,000 posts for a band they have so many issues with. That is what confounds and amazes me more than ANYTHING RUSH does.

Oh and you're view is "jaded" and is only your "reality". Again, there are 10 to 15 thousand fans who show up at every concert who would not agree with your "reality"

cheer.gif RUSH is #1 cheer.gif RUSH is #1 cheer.gif

i thought my flag pic was funny....

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 24 2011, 09:25 PM)

I love that...the "cynical way". Do you know the history of RUSH? Did you know that thru all their early albums all they did was tour and tour and tour. That is how they became famous and so amazing playing live. Not by being on Canadian Idol or having one hit song. They busted their chops and got nothing for it. (money wise)

Now, they can tour big venues. Go places that they want to go and like you said, you are NOT forced to go.

What true fan is pissed that their supposed "favorite" band, who puts on an amazing 3 hour show, is touring too much?

Now if they put on an 1 hour and 30 minute show? Like MOST bands of their era, maybe you could say that, but I will tell you what, they would STILL sell out and real fans would be happy with that.

If you know ANYTHING about RUSH then you know they don't like touring, especially now. But if they are cashing in on some LONG OVERDUE MAJOR SUCCESS and giving fans a treat. Why would any fan be mad about that? Well besides the cynical, never happy with anything "fans".

And I guarantee you, RUSH has always maintained that they would not go out and tour or make albums if they weren't doing so at a high level. So I don't think anyone has to worry about them being one of those endless number of old bands that tours bars and small venues when they can't play at their best. Even if Geddy can't sing like he used to, he does good enough that most fans aren't upset when he has an off night. EVERY singer has an off night. In fact, if RUSH just doesn't play the songs that he has to kill his voice to sing, they have enough material to put on a 4 hour concert that most fans would be happy to see. I said most, because there will ALWAYS be the great fans like you who aren't happy about anything.

I usually go to 1 maybe 2 shows each tour. And every time I go I think, this could be the last time I see this band. So at this stage of their career they can do whatever they please, release endless DVDs, tour continuously and grab as much cash as they can, and I don't blame them one bit. And neither do the 10 to 15 thousand fans each night that show up.

It's so funny to hear people on a RUSH fan website, complain "waahhh, my band tours too much. And when they do, they play these LOOOONNNGGG 3 hour shows....and they release endless products that I am not forced to buy, but for those who want the stuff it's there"

You'd be the same one bitching if RUSH didn't tour. Or if they didn't put out more DVDs and CDs. I can hear it now "They just sit in their mansions living their lives with their families and don't care about their fans...and why don't they put out more DVDs?"

Some people are just never happy with anything. The thing I can't figure out is why, so many people who have so many problems with all aspects of RUSH, come to this site and have 3400 to 25,000 posts for a band they have so many issues with. That is what confounds and amazes me more than ANYTHING RUSH does.

Oh and you're view is "jaded" and is only your "reality". Again, there are 10 to 15 thousand fans who show up at every concert who would not agree with your "reality"

Well you can continue to live in lala land and deliberately misconstrue my post all you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

Rush rushed out 2 tracks and played all of Moving Pictures purely to have a reason to tour. In their mind it's consistent with their ethos of "having new stuff" to tour on the back of. In the end it was about maximising their resurgence in popularity on the back if BTLS. So in that sense it was a cash grab.

Oh, and don't preach me history of the band. I've been a fan since 1976.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 24 2011, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 24 2011, 09:25 PM)

Well you can continue to live in lala land and deliberately misconstrue my post all you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

Rush rushed out 2 tracks and played all of Moving Pictures purely to have a reason to tour. In their mind it's consistent with their ethos of "having new stuff" to tour on the back of. In the end it was about maximising their resurgence in popularity on the back if BTLS. So in that sense it was a cash grab.

Oh, and don't preach me history of the band. I've been a fan since 1976.

Ok...so you are admitting to be a fan? That would explain the 3400 posts.

Does anyone who buys a ticket, especially those who think alot of the new music sucks, really care if they have a new album out or not? If they stopped making new material and toured once a year playing different sets from their multitude of songs, I and probably every other fan who could afford to buy a seat would continue to go see them. In fact, call me a "fanboy" or whatever (this is a fan site right?) If they toured once a year and played songs from say only 2 past albums each year, playing those songs that they have never played live and just songs from 2 albums per tour, I'd be in freaking heaven...er lala land as you say.

And I'm sorry to insult you. Since you have been a fan since 1976 and I have only been a fan since 1990 I should know my place (along with my low number of posts compared to yours) and just admit you are correct with all your pessimistic, snobby views of the band we are both fans of.

You ---> old.gif

Me ---> cheer.gif

The bottom line, is I believe what I say and (unbelievably) you believe what you say. We can discuss it and both think we are correct, but the answer is probably somewhere in the middle, of course alot closer to my side than yours. wink.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 24 2011, 06:42 PM)
Or alternatively you're just a fanboy noob talking out of your kneepads...

I guarantee that I know as much, if not more, about RUSH. I have read most the RUSH books out there and know just about all the lyrics from every album, except Feedback.

That being said, your comebacks to my in-depth posts, like "You put the eff in fanboy" tell me all I need to know about the intelligence of the person I am debating. I think I understand how you got the 3400 posts.

bekloppt.gif cheer.gif R-U-S-H...RUSH RUSH RUSH cheer.gif

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 24 2011, 03:57 PM)

I guarantee that I know as much, if not more, about RUSH. I have read most the RUSH books out there and know just about all the lyrics from every album, except Feedback.

That being said, your comebacks to my in-depth posts, like "You put the eff in fanboy" tell me all I need to know about the intelligence of the person I am debating. I think I understand how you got the 3400 posts.

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 24 2011, 11:57 PM)

Quad Erat Demonstrandum

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 24 2011, 07:04 PM)

Quad Erat Demonstrandum

I looked that up so Im as smart as you know too

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 24 2011, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 24 2011, 07:04 PM)

Quad Erat Demonstrandum

I looked that up so Im as smart as you know too

rofl3.gif

Plus ca change

Plus c'est la meme chose

Laughed at by mimes!