Ged answers his critics

eshine

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 23 2011, 07:58 AM)
How is Ged answering his critics in this article? He doesn't mention his voice, he just talks about how they will tour as long as they want.

Geddy Lee is not the Singer he was 30 years ago. Its quite obvious. On some of the lower register songs, he sounds fine. But on so many classic tunes, he struggles.

I don't think they are done just yet. But it sucks hearing him strain these days.

Exactly.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2011, 07:50 AM)
I used to think this was an infallible band when I was a young fan in the 80's - every album was stellar and magical.  Then there were the two songs at the end of HYF, and then the mediocre Presto, and then the even worse  Roll the Bones.  I knew then that my heroes were no longer beyond redemption. 

In recent years there has been the unfortunate several year gap between albums in favor of making The Big Money touring.  They're such nice guys and they frame things so nicely and diplomatically that most people don't pay any attention to this fact, automatically forgive them,  give them the benefit of the doubt and accept the reasoning they give for their actions or lack thereof, and/or simply refuse to say (or even think) anything unpleasant about their favorite band. 

I also used to think their professionalism wouldn't allow them to continue on with a glaring deficiency, that is to say the pink elephant in the room that is Geddy's deteriorating voice.  I was wrong about that too.

So, ok, they're human, very human, capable of making inferior songs and albums, doing shameless cash grab multiple leg tours without albums, playing at way less than peak ability (though their musical chops are better than ever), etc.  It is what it is.  Many, many fans will obviously keep on forking over the cash no matter what, so I guess in the end that's what's important.  Even I will buy the new album when it comes out.

Don't get me wrong, as much as some would love to call me "not a real Rush fan" or whatever, I'm still grateful for many years of great music, more great albums than most bands will ever come close to making and decades of fandom.  I will still love and appreciate this band's history no matter what. 

That said, I do think they should retire, or at least be seriously considering it VERY soon (one more tour TOPS), before their legacy gets more tarnished with another bad or mediocre album (though I'd be thrilled to be wrong on that one and love some or most of CA, just like I loved at least half of S&A), and another endless tour with even worse vocals. 

Ah, freedom of expression - don't you love it?! wink.gif

Rush internet whining minority, unite under your leader rushgoober! laugh.gif

But seriously, reading this kind of uneducated amateur attention-seeking crapola in thread after thread can be exhausting. No offense, since you're probably a good person and upstanding citizen, but that was some stupid thoughtless bullpucky opine there. Rush should retire? spit6ph.gif

Yup, freedom of expression is great trink39.gif

I used to think this was an infallible band when I was a young fan in the 80's - every album was stellar and magical. Then there were the two songs at the end of HYF, and then the mediocre Presto, and then the even worse Roll the Bones. I knew then that my heroes were no longer beyond redemption.

In recent years there has been the unfortunate several year gap between albums in favor of making The Big Money touring. They're such nice guys and they frame things so nicely and diplomatically that most people don't pay any attention to this fact, automatically forgive them, give them the benefit of the doubt and accept the reasoning they give for their actions or lack thereof, and/or simply refuse to say (or even think) anything unpleasant about their favorite band.

I also used to think their professionalism wouldn't allow them to continue on with a glaring deficiency, that is to say the pink elephant in the room that is Geddy's deteriorating voice. I was wrong about that too.

So, ok, they're human, very human, capable of making inferior songs and albums, doing shameless cash grab multiple leg tours without albums, playing at way less than peak ability (though their musical chops are better than ever), etc. It is what it is. Many, many fans will obviously keep on forking over the cash no matter what, so I guess in the end that's what's important. Even I will buy the new album when it comes out.

Don't get me wrong, as much as some would love to call me "not a real Rush fan" or whatever, I'm still grateful for many years of great music, more great albums than most bands will ever come close to making and decades of fandom. I will still love and appreciate this band's history no matter what.

That said, I do think they should retire, or at least be seriously considering it VERY soon (one more tour TOPS), before their legacy gets more tarnished with another bad or mediocre album (though I'd be thrilled to be wrong on that one and love some or most of CA, just like I loved at least half of S&A), and another endless tour with even worse vocals.

Ah, freedom of expression - don't you love it?! wink.gif

not everyone feels the last albums are a bad or mediocre tho. while S&A is def not my fave of the last couple...well Goobs you know how I feel about VP & T4E

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2011, 06:50 AM)
In recent years there has been the unfortunate several year gap between albums in favor of making The Big Money touring.

So, ok, they're human, very human, capable of making inferior songs and albums, doing shameless cash grab multiple leg tours without albums, playing at way less than peak ability (though their musical chops are better than ever), etc.

Agree with a lot of what you said, but disagree with this quoted bit. After T4E, Neil had his troubles. Then we got VT and a tour. Then Feedback (I count it) and a tour. Then SNA and a tour. So really, Time Machine was the first one without an album of some kind, but I do kinda forgive them because it was both the MP anniversary gig and they did have two new songs to play.

Multi-leg tours... I'm not sure why that's a bad thing. I'd like to see new albums more frequently, but I don't think it's the tour schedule that holds them up. They're talented guys - if they wanted to put out a 10 song album once a year, they could (even with the touring schedule).

Their legacy tarnished? Seriously? facepalm.gif

I dunno, I've been to plenty of concerts where a great singer doesn't sound great. And yes, Geddy Lee is included. But, the last several times I've seen Rush in concert included some of the best and energetic performances Rush has ever given.

Tarnished. Jeez. Geddy can't sing. Neil sucks. Alex is fat. They write crappy albums. What's the point? confused13.gif

Yeah, Rush is getting old. But they still entertain me and thrill me like 25 years ago. Thanks, guys.

Tarnished. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2011, 06:50 AM)
In recent years there has been the unfortunate several year gap between albums in favor of making The Big Money touring. 

So, ok, they're human, very human, capable of making inferior songs and albums, doing shameless cash grab multiple leg tours without albums, playing at way less than peak ability (though their musical chops are better than ever), etc.

Agree with a lot of what you said, but disagree with this quoted bit. After T4E, Neil had his troubles. Then we got VT and a tour. Then Feedback (I count it) and a tour. Then SNA and a tour. So really, Time Machine was the first one without an album of some kind, but I do kinda forgive them because it was both the MP anniversary gig and they did have two new songs to play.

Multi-leg tours... I'm not sure why that's a bad thing. I'd like to see new albums more frequently, but I don't think it's the tour schedule that holds them up. They're talented guys - if they wanted to put out a 10 song album once a year, they could (even with the touring schedule).

Goobs won't back down from his "opinion" (pokey.gif) that Rush is on a perpetual touring money grab. He demands new material at least every 2 years! Or else you're washed up and tarnished. 1287.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 23 2011, 10:11 AM)

I dunno, I've been to plenty of concerts where a great singer doesn't sound great. And yes, Geddy Lee is included. But, the last several times I've seen Rush in concert included some of the best and energetic performances Rush has ever given.

Tarnished. Jeez. Geddy can't sing. Neil sucks. Alex is fat. They write crappy albums. What's the point? confused13.gif

Yeah, Rush is getting old. But they still entertain me and thrill me like 25 years ago. Thanks, guys.

Tarnished. eyesre4.gif

Yeah, to say their legacy is tarnished is a stretch. Think about all the classic bands that are still touring with multiple lineup changes ...its ridiculous..and playing county fairs. At least Rush has always maintained some state of dignity.

And i think the impact of Neils tragedies can't be overstated enough. The fact that they were touring again only 4 or 5 years after is pretty remarkable.

Good thread!

As for geddys voice, it sounds good to me! He only has a hard time with some of the older songs which is totally understandable. He's lucky to even have a voice left after the 70s. Let alone a good voice!

IMO they should have recorded the MSG show. It was fruckin HEAVENLY

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 11:07 AM)

Exactly...the touring has NOTHING to do with their long stretches between albums IMO.

Think about it...in those early years, they were pumping out album after album, year after year, and toured between every single one of them.

1974, 1975, 1975 (again!), 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1987

Look at that timeline through what most people consider their "best" era. 12 albums in 14 years!! Every one of those had a tour following it.

Their long gaps between albums these days is because they choose to take longer breaks. They are older, and probably enjoy spending more time with their families and such.

I wouldn't blame any of it on the tours personally.

I do think they should retire, or at least be seriously considering it VERY soon (one more tour TOPS), before their legacy gets more tarnished with another bad or mediocre album.

Rush has made a bad album? confused13.gif

Not in my world. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 23 2011, 10:11 AM)

Tarnished. eyesre4.gif

No no no...Alex sucks and Neil is fat. Get it straight. tongue.gif

Tarnished...please. eyesre4.gif

Reading the quote from Geddy reminds me of when my cousin and I were worried about Rush retiring at some point after Counterparts. We used to discuss how much longer the band would continue. We never thought they would be kicking ass for another 20 years. I'm sure glad they there is still plenty of gas left in the creative tank. 2.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 23 2011, 12:07 PM)
I do think they should retire, or at least be seriously considering it VERY soon (one more tour TOPS), before their legacy gets more tarnished with another bad or mediocre album. 

Rush has made a bad album? confused13.gif

Not in my world. 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Nov 23 2011, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 23 2011, 08:57 AM)
I never bitch about his voice, it is what it is. They should have filmed the M.S.G. show , he kicked ass that night .  The Cleveland  d.v.d. does Not represent his best show on that tour.

Add my voice to that opinion...MSG was FREAKIN AWESOME

Yes. A great show. But I thought they played better the summer before at PNC.