I Love KISS!

rushgoober

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 19 2011, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 19 2011, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 19 2011, 03:27 PM)
I like everything up to and including The Elder. Yes, The Elder...I really think it's an underrated gem of a record, and gets bashed way too much.

They were a kick ass party rock band, who had an over the top Live show. The perfect band for that period in the 70s.

I need to get The Elder. The last album I bought back in the day was Unmasked (ok, I bought Lick It Up so they could sign it since Kiss appeared at a local record store for that tour the day of their show). All the songs I've heard from The Elder I REALLY like a lot, so I need to get that...

Which songs have you heard?

The ones off the top of my head are "I" and A World Without Heroes, but I know I've played at least 2 or 3 others off the album on youtube and thought highly of all of them. I haven't heard every song on the album.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 19 2011, 11:53 PM)
Frehley is a wart on the ass of Buck Dharma tongue.gif

laugh.gif

KISS has its place, but all the "KISS is high-art rock at its best" in this thread deserves one big wtf.gif .

I mean...really?

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 20 2011, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 19 2011, 11:53 PM)
Frehley is a wart on the ass of Buck Dharma tongue.gif

laugh.gif

KISS has its place, but all the "KISS is high-art rock at its best" in this thread deserves one big wtf.gif .

I mean...really?

Where in this thread has anyone proclaimed Kiss as high-art rock at its best? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 19 2011, 11:39 PM)

It boggles my mind Goobs that you unashamedly gush over Kiss but you never show any love for Blue Oyster Cult (or Thin Lizzy).

Defies reason.

KISS great!

Twilight movies, good!

All-out hatred for Vapor Trails. Tough to figure you out some times, Goob...

growing up in the 70's, everybody I knew had a Kiss album. I was never part of the Kiss Army and never really owned more than a couple albums at a time but their music left a mark on me forever. I have quite a few LP's now, mostly the 70's albums is what I like the most. I don't care about Gene's family jewels or if Paul is gay or any of the BS that goes along with Kiss, all I care about is their classic hard rock pre-heavy metal music.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 19 2011, 09:41 PM)
Ace Frehley? Really?  unsure.gif

To my ears, Ace Frehley is responsible for some of the best and song appropriate solos I've ever heard. And his Kiss solo album kicks ass.

YES!

I mean, he's not Hendrix, but he's pretty damn inventive and had some absolutely KILLER solos that have really held up IMHO. One thing that super impressed me by him is watching the Kiss Unplugged video. Even on acoustic guitar the guy is obviously amazingly talented, and his electric solos are very underrated. He's one of the very best guitarists of the 70's.

And yeah, if you haven't heard his first solo album, you're really missing out. GREAT rock and roll. yes.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 19 2011, 10:14 PM)

It boggles my mind Goobs that you unashamedly gush over Kiss but you never show any love for Blue Oyster Cult (or Thin Lizzy).

Defies reason.

KISS great!

Twilight movies, good!

All-out hatred for Vapor Trails. Tough to figure you out some times, Goob...

Well I never said I wasn't a walking contradiction, but it all makes sense to me. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 19 2011, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 19 2011, 03:27 PM)
I like everything up to and including The Elder. Yes, The Elder...I really think it's an underrated gem of a record, and gets bashed way too much.

They were a kick ass party rock band, who had an over the top Live show. The perfect band for that period in the 70s.

I need to get The Elder. The last album I bought back in the day was Unmasked (ok, I bought Lick It Up so they could sign it since Kiss appeared at a local record store for that tour the day of their show). All the songs I've heard from The Elder I REALLY like a lot, so I need to get that...

I really like lick it up. I think that the early 80s stuff (Creatures through Animalize) was a fantastic direction for them to go as they redesigned the band.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 19 2011, 11:41 PM)
Ace Frehley? Really?  unsure.gif

To my ears, Ace Frehley is responsible for some of the best and song appropriate solos I've ever heard. And his Kiss solo album kicks ass.

Once I was discussing the list of most influential guitarists that one of the rags (rolling stone, maybe) put out and whether they had gotten it right. All the usual people were there...Page, Beck, Clapton, Rhoads, Van Halen...and my fellow guitar teachers were arguing who was the most influential. One of the other guy's students said no one guitarist has made more kids pick up the guitar than Ace Frehley. That was good enough for us.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Nov 20 2011, 01:31 AM)
Growing up in the 70's, everybody I knew had a Kiss album.......

From 1975 through 1979, the walls in my room were COVERED with all things KISS.

(Mom and Dad really loved that)

It was KISS all the time, day and night.

I wonder what they thought of some of the lyrics (if they were paying any attention) on some of the tunes Gene penned as well as a few others in the KISS collection.... unsure.gif

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 20 2011, 07:26 AM)

I wonder what they thought of some of the lyrics (if they were paying any attention) on some of the tunes Gene penned as well as a few others in the KISS collection.... unsure.gif

I had a Kiss poster or two perhaps when I was that young, but not many. I seriously admired my friend's rooms that were plastered with Kiss posters. I did have the four interlocking posters from the Kiss solo albums, however, that I taped in the back to make one big poster - that was cool.

And yeah, it's really funny that I was listening to Love Gun and other very suggestive songs at such a young age - obviously I had no clue what any of that meant until later. When I did finally realize it, I was shocked.

Shock me!

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2011, 09:52 AM)

I had a Kiss poster or two perhaps when I was that young, but not many. I seriously admired my friend's rooms that were plastered with Kiss posters. I did have the four interlocking posters from the Kiss solo albums, however, that I taped in the back to make one big poster - that was cool.

And yeah, it's really funny that I was listening to Love Gun and other very suggestive songs at such a young age - obviously I had no clue what any of that meant until later. When I did finally realize it, I was shocked.

Shock me!

Plaster Caster.... scared.gif

I saw 'em in early 1976 on the "Alive" tour in support of Kiss: Alive and just before Destroyer came out. A quick search shows that the date was February 12, 1976 actually and it was at the Spokane Coliseum in well, Spokane, Washington obviously. I was a freshman at Eastern Washington Univ. in nearby Cheney and went with my dorm roomie at the time. Setlist:

1."Deuce"

2."Strutter"

3."C'mon and Love Me"

4."Hotter Than Hell"

5."Firehouse"

6."She" (Ace Frehley Guitar Solo)

7."Parasite"

8."Nothin' to Lose"

9."100.000 Years" (Gene Simmons Bass Solo, Peter Criss Drum Solo)

10."Black Diamond"

Encores

1."Cold Gin"

2."Rock and Roll All Nite"

3."Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll"

It was a fun night and they pretty much played all the early stuff we liked. I was especially pleased they played "Black Diamond" a song I liked from the first time I heard it. Anyone who knows their history knows they were in full costume and did all the blood and fire stuff in those days.

Never found them awesome or epic or whatever, but indeed fun. After Alive I pretty much lost interest except for a lot of listens of the great song Detroit Rock City.

Anybody else here see them waaaaaaaay back in the day too? (God again I prove I'm freaking OLD old.gif )

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Nov 20 2011, 10:04 AM)
Anybody else here see them waaaaaaaay back in the day too? (God again I prove I'm freaking OLD old.gif )

My first concert was KISS on the Love Gun tour, 1/15/78 at the old Chicago Stadium.

I Stole Your Love

King Of The Night Time World

Ladies Room

Firehouse

Love Gun

Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll

Makin' Love

Christine Sixteen

Shock Me

I Want You

Calling Dr. Love

Shout It Out Loud

God of Thunder

Rock And Roll All Nite

Encore:

Detroit Rock City

Beth

Black Diamond

I saw them for the Lick It Up tour - not worth looking up the setlist.

It was a decent show. The auditorium was maybe 1/2 to 3/5ths full. It was fun, but I was really disappointed. They weren't allowed to do any "pyro" at that venue, and what I really wanted was a show with the original members that looked like the gatefold image of Alive II.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 20 2011, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2011, 09:52 AM)

Shock me!

Plaster Caster.... scared.gif

laugh.gif

true dat

I saw kiss during their "Alive 35" tour. Despite not knowing most of the songs they played, it was a lot of fun. I was introduced to a lot of great songs I didn't know existed, and there were quite a few surprises that I didn't expect them to do (Gene flyring up to the rafters and playing 3 stories above the rest of the band, Paul stepping on a Tiny hoop and riding it to the other side of the stadium to finish the song on a tiny platform near the back of the floor area). I also noticed they used a ton of pyro for what the norm is at the Bell Center (it's a fairly compact compared to larger stadiums like the ACC, so I would imagine there are a lot of restrictions).

Loved it if they come back in a few years I would go again.

My first KISS concert was on Tuesday, July 9, 1996 at the Superdome.

It was like a dream coming true; finally getting to see my first musical inspirations just about 20 years after hearing a song called Rock & Roll all Nite...then getting my first album Rock & Roll Over...then Destroyer and so on.

Then a band called RUSH came into my life...changed forevermore.

However, I loved KISS back then and still to this day. The last show I saw was a few years ago at the New Orleans Arena for the Rock the Nation tour on Saturday, August 7, 2004. I have a few books and a bunch of videos/DVDs.

As a matter of fact, my drum workout last night included KISS...Alive.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Nov 20 2011, 11:12 AM)
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/TPesch2112/KISS75_60.jpg

Love the "Dressed to Kill" look. A kid at my school wears a DtK t-shirt and I always compliment her on it.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 20 2011, 10:47 AM)
I saw kiss during their "Alive 35" tour. Despite not knowing most of the songs they played, it was a lot of fun. I was introduced to a lot of great songs I didn't know existed, and there were quite a few surprises that I didn't expect them to do (Gene flyring up to the rafters and playing 3 stories above the rest of the band, Paul stepping on a Tiny hoop and riding it to the other side of the stadium to finish the song on a tiny platform near the back of the floor area). I also noticed they used a ton of pyro for what the norm is at the Bell Center (it's a fairly compact compared to larger stadiums like the ACC, so I would imagine there are a lot of restrictions).

Loved it if they come back in a few years I would go again.

They do still put on an amazing show. trink39.gif