Van Halen shoots video for new single

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2011, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Nov 18 2011, 11:09 AM)

Nice to see this is finally happening. I didn't even recognize Dave with the hat, he looks so..small!

biggrin.gif That's not him. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Diamond Dave is next to the tallest guy in the pic. I think Dave looks great! tongue.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 18 2011, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 18 2011, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (Scars @ Nov 18 2011, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 18 2011, 01:43 PM)
How about releasing some new music?

No one gives a shit about videos anymore ..it sad to see old bands unable to stay relevant ...the fact they keep talking about a new " album" shows how out of touch they are..

What are you talking about?

They ARE releasing new music--that's why they're doing the video. Music video = new single. And yes, people do give a shit about music videos, maybe not in the 1980s-MTV-sense, but there's a thing called YouTube where some of the most popular videos are music videos. You act as if VH is the first band to do a video in 20 years.

How exactly are they trying to stay "relevant"? Your use of quotes around "album" makes me think that you think the term is outdated. It's not. Neither is "record" or "CD" (at this point) for that matter. What would you like them to call it? Collection of songs? Digital compilation? EVERY band calls their new album an album.

I'm really curious as to what VH is doing that makes them look so out-of-touch to you. They're not doing anything that other bands aren't doing.

Have you read any interviews with Neil, Alex or Geddy?...they all state how much the music business has changed in the last decade or so..so much that the old model of releasing videos and radio singles really doesnt matter..radio is dead..MTV is dead...they at least get it, and released a couple songs through their site...it just seems Van Halen is stuck in 1984...they recently stated that they were going to have a big announcemnt at the Grammys ...YAYYYYYY! sarcasm.gif Again, no one gives a shit..

If Van Halen had been active for the last 10 years or so, with new music and not all the dramatic bullshit, then i would cut them some slack...but that isn't the case.

MTV IS DEAD! I am happy for that however us old rockers still have VH1 on the boobtube and they have "THAT METAL SHOW" as well as Metal Video Nights!

I will support compact discs until I die.

I've said this before on here. Cds might become obsolete her in America but the rest of the world will NEVER do it! Especially in Japan, Germany and the UK!

I picked up the new limited edition box set of The Who's "Quadrophenia." It's out of this fukking world with 25 demos from Townshend's vault!

On the back of the box it says "DISCS MADE IN GERMANY."

That's where we are headed Americans! I've been buying import cds since they were pressed in 1985 and I will continue to do so until my last breath.

MP3, DOWNLOADS, and iTUNES can kiss my old ass!!

Earl, i'm on board with you as far as CD's...i still buy em, and hardly ever get anything off of ITUNES..But as a band in 2011, you need to realize that the old way doesnt work anymore...Rush is one of the few older bands who recognizes that the old music business is dead..sad as it may be..

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 18 2011, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 18 2011, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 18 2011, 07:51 PM)

No one gives a shit about videos anymore ..it sad to see old bands unable to stay relevant ...the fact they keep talking about a new " album" shows how out of touch they are..

They ARE releasing new music--that's why they're doing the video. Music video = new single. And yes, people do give a shit about music videos, maybe not in the 1980s-MTV-sense, but there's a thing called YouTube where some of the most popular videos are music videos. You act as if VH is the first band to do a video in 20 years.

How exactly are they trying to stay "relevant"? Your use of quotes around "album" makes me think that you think the term is outdated. It's not. Neither is "record" or "CD" (at this point) for that matter. What would you like them to call it? Collection of songs? Digital compilation? EVERY band calls their new album an album.

I'm really curious as to what VH is doing that makes them look so out-of-touch to you. They're not doing anything that other bands aren't doing.

Have you read any interviews with Neil, Alex or Geddy?...they all state how much the music business has changed in the last decade or so..so much that the old model of releasing videos and radio singles really doesnt matter..radio is dead..MTV is dead...they at least get it, and released a couple songs through their site...it just seems Van Halen is stuck in 1984...they recently stated that they were going to have a big announcemnt at the Grammys ...YAYYYYYY! sarcasm.gif Again, no one gives a shit..

If Van Halen had been active for the last 10 years or so, with new music and not all the dramatic bullshit, then i would cut them some slack...but that isn't the case.

MTV IS DEAD! I am happy for that however us old rockers still have VH1 on the boobtube and they have "THAT METAL SHOW" as well as Metal Video Nights!

I will support compact discs until I die.

I've said this before on here. Cds might become obsolete her in America but the rest of the world will NEVER do it! Especially in Japan, Germany and the UK!

I picked up the new limited edition box set of The Who's "Quadrophenia." It's out of this fukking world with 25 demos from Townshend's vault!

On the back of the box it says "DISCS MADE IN GERMANY."

That's where we are headed Americans! I've been buying import cds since they were pressed in 1985 and I will continue to do so until my last breath.

MP3, DOWNLOADS, and iTUNES can kiss my old ass!!

Earl, i'm on board with you as far as CD's...i still buy em, and hardly ever get anything off of ITUNES..But as a band in 2011, you need to realize that the old way doesnt work anymore...Rush is one of the few older bands who recognizes that the old music business is dead..sad as it may be..

I totally understand! Rush keeps evolving and like a chameleon will change it's skin to fit into the modern age. Rush is a perfect band for this existence. However saying that, some bands like Van Halen shouldn't evolve, well at least musically they shouldn't. I want those old school Eddie Van Halen brown noise guitar riffs with crunchy kick ass solos! I want Dave to shriek again! Fukk that Sam Halen vocal shite.

As far as marketing and promoting Van Halen, you are right. They need to emulate what all other bands are doing now in 2011 to make money and get back on the Map Of Rock And Roll succesfully!

It may seem like I am going back and forth here but at the end of the day I just want this new Van Halen album to ROCK MY BRAINS OUT!

That's the bottom line!

"BOTTOMS UP!" 1022.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 18 2011, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2011, 07:13 AM)
...at the Roxy in LA.  Picture from yesterday with new Interscope partners from the video set:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/11/van-halen-iag-execs-l.jpg

I love it! Who gives a fuckk how they look!!! This video looks as if they are going back to their roots!!

BRING IT ON!!!!!!

I bet this new album will kick ass!!!!

1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

Thanks to your thread Presto I just had to put on "1984" tonight!! Great fukkin' record even with the keyboards!!!

"PANAMA" never gets old! trink39.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

Love,

"Top Jimmy" wub.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 18 2011, 09:51 PM)

Well if Rush said it...eyesre4.gif

Sure, radio and MTV are "dead" (in the sense of how much they influence the marketing behind music). But there are things called iTunes, YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, there are official websites, etc. Radio and MTV may be dead, but there are now a million other ways to distribute music, and some of those ways require a proper video (YouTube for example). Nowhere is there any claim that VH won't be an Internet-age proper release of their new stuff.

Somehow people are getting the impression that Van Halen has this genius marketing plan that involves getting their song played on constant rotation on major radios and MTV, release their album on the big 3 formats (LP, Tape and 8-Track) and then after it goes 30x platinum they'll do a worldwide tour. Please direct me to some sources that indicate that VH has a largely outdated marketing plan that doesn't apply to EVERY SINGLE OTHER BAND IN THE WORLD. Making an announcement at the Grammy's doesn't sound very "cool" or mind-blowing, but when you think of it in terms of it getting people to watch the Grammy's, you'll see there's a lot more going on promotion-wise than just a group of guys seemingly stuck in the 1980s.

So you would cut them some slack if they still had their "outdated" approach to promotion, but were releasing new music? That doesn't even make any sense.

They have a record deal with an established label. Do you really think that if all this was a huge waste of time and irrelevant that the label would be wasting their time putting money into it? VH can be debated as outdated all you want, but when there's a bunch of businessmen whose careers depend on being relevant, you can bet your ass they're not going to be making dumb moves then.

QUOTE (Scars @ Nov 18 2011, 09:23 PM)

Sure, radio and MTV are "dead" (in the sense of how much they influence the marketing behind music). But there are things called iTunes, YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, there are official websites, etc. Radio and MTV may be dead, but there are now a million other ways to distribute music, and some of those ways require a proper video (YouTube for example). Nowhere is there any claim that VH won't be an Internet-age proper release of their new stuff.

Somehow people are getting the impression that Van Halen has this genius marketing plan that involves getting their song played on constant rotation on major radios and MTV, release their album on the big 3 formats (LP, Tape and 8-Track) and then after it goes 30x platinum they'll do a worldwide tour. Please direct me to some sources that indicate that VH has a largely outdated marketing plan that doesn't apply to EVERY SINGLE OTHER BAND IN THE WORLD. Making an announcement at the Grammy's doesn't sound very "cool" or mind-blowing, but when you think of it in terms of it getting people to watch the Grammy's, you'll see there's a lot more going on promotion-wise than just a group of guys seemingly stuck in the 1980s.

So you would cut them some slack if they still had their "outdated" approach to promotion, but were releasing new music? That doesn't even make any sense.

They have a record deal with an established label. Do you really think that if all this was a huge waste of time and irrelevant that the label would be wasting their time putting money into it? VH can be debated as outdated all you want, but when there's a bunch of businessmen whose careers depend on being relevant, you can bet your ass they're not going to be making dumb moves then.

goodpost.gif

Actually Scars this is a great fukkin' post! trink39.gif

DROP DEAD LEGS! 1022.gif

"1984" will withstand the test of time! 1287.gif

QUOTE (Scars @ Nov 18 2011, 11:23 PM)

Look, i was a huge Van Halen fan growing up. I have close to a dozen bootlegs of the band, going all the way back to '76..i worshiped at the altar of Eddie as a kid..I know their history better than most...but the way this band has handled their career the past 15-20 years, really leaves me cold. And it sucks. Because i think Van Halen from 1978-84 were one of the greatest, most explosive bands ever...

Bring up the Van Halen reunion, and the supposed new album coming out, to hardcore music fans, guys who grew up with them, guys who are passionate about all things music, and most just laugh...because they have become a joke...i feel VH could have saved their credibility back in '96, at the MTV video awards, when they came on stage to thunderous applause...i remember dudes who were into the whole indie rock scene, guys who you wouldnt think were into the party rock of VH, being psyched that the mighty VH were once again coming alive with Dave..people were really pumped...but what happened?...they blew it...and they have continued to blow it...

I just can't take them seriously anymore

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 19 2011, 04:28 AM)
Look, i was a huge Van Halen fan growing up. I have close to a dozen bootlegs of the band, going all the way back to '76..i worshiped at the altar of Eddie as a kid..I know their history better than most...but the way this band has handled their career the past 15-20 years, really leaves me cold. And it sucks. Because i think Van Halen from 1978-84 were one of the greatest, most explosive bands ever...

Bring up the Van Halen reunion, and the supposed new album coming out, to hardcore music fans, guys who grew up with them, guys who are passionate about all things music, and most just laugh...because they have become a joke...i feel VH could have saved their credibility back in '96, at the MTV video awards, when they came on stage to thunderous applause...i remember dudes who were into the whole indie rock scene, guys who you wouldnt think were into the party rock of VH, being psyched that the mighty VH were once again coming alive with Dave..people were really pumped...but what happened?...they blew it...and they have continued to blow it...

Nailed it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 19 2011, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 19 2011, 04:28 AM)

Nailed it.

goodpost.gif

Fully agree. And let's not forget yet ANOTHER disappointment with this band: in the middle of the 2007/2008 tour they said a live CD/DVD would be released covering said tour, but as soon as it ended, Ed said "nah, that would be too predictable...we'll try to surprise our fans and not give them exactly what they expect this time". Way to go on the marketing skills, Ed...deceiving your clients and locking yourself in a cave for 3 years. Let's wait and see IF/WHEN this new album will come out.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 18 2011, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2011, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Nov 18 2011, 11:09 AM)

Nice to see this is finally happening. I didn't even recognize Dave with the hat, he looks so..small!

biggrin.gif That's not him. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Diamond Dave is next to the tallest guy in the pic. I think Dave looks great! tongue.gif

D'uh Cindy, it woulda helped had I looked at the whole pic...easy to find him now. I just knew the guy in the hat looked like he had shrunk a lot if it was DLR.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Nov 18 2011, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Nov 18 2011, 12:09 PM)

That's not Dave. He is on the right. Second from the right to be exact.

Interesting positioning of the band members, no?

Not exactly chummy with Dave.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 19 2011, 05:28 AM)

This &

The TOTAL Disrespect of Micheal Anthony dazed025.gif

Eddie is a PUNK !! yes.gif

bekloppt.gif

Who gives a shit if they do a Video ? Interscope is throwing Millions of Dollars at them, wouldn't You do a vid ? . As long as the music is good, they can have Flying Monkeys on stage with them. People want Eddie to Re-invent the Guitar all over agian, he's not. He has done it all and he is in his 50's. He was Addicted to Coke, Booze and Pills . Excuse ? Nope, but those are the facts. I have always said , V.H. has not done anything good since 1988,[ OU812] imo. I am not expecting Fair Warning but i am sure it will be good. Who gives a shit if Rush knows the music biz is changing? You don't think Interscope knows this, and who does Not know it's changing ? Rush can't sell albums anymore , so they Have to do something different. People are Still Pissed about Mike Anthony, get over it, he ain't coming back. I am sick of waiting as well , it's Insane they have not put out a new album since 1998, but it is what it is .

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 18 2011, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2011, 10:13 AM)
...at the Roxy in LA.  Picture from yesterday with new Interscope partners from the video set:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/11/van-halen-iag-execs-l.jpg

Who's the midget?

Why does wolfie think he's paid his dues enough to cut his hair?

FAIL=VH

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 19 2011, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Nov 18 2011, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Nov 18 2011, 12:09 PM)

That's not Dave. He is on the right. Second from the right to be exact.

Interesting positioning of the band members, no?

Not exactly chummy with Dave.

It's about the money. yes.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Nov 21 2011, 11:45 AM)
Why does wolfie think he's paid his dues enough to cut his hair?

Because he looked like a Fat chick laugh.gif

Had DLR been singing any of the Van Hagar tours on tour?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 21 2011, 01:16 PM)
Had DLR been singing any of the Van Hagar tours on tour?

You can bet your Life that has Never and will Never happen laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 21 2011, 09:43 AM)
  People are Still Pissed about Mike Anthony, get over it, he ain't coming back.

MA is only about 10% of why I will never care for any form of VH

(BTW when official VH website was up, EDDIE removed MA photo from the VH/VH album cover, put wolfgang in MA place dazed025.gif )

I fail to understand why anybody care's about VH doh.gif

Only 2 groups I don't like now ( last 10 yrs ) are VH & U2

Both were HUGE for me for 20+ years.

VH ( eddie ) just a lack of CLASS new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

U2 total greed & Hypocrisy

Mirror opposite of the path RUSH has paved ( got 20+ yrs & then 10+ yrs & probably 10 more classy years yes.gif )

biggrin.gif