Your favorite live "Marathon" recording...?

ALifeson85

Which live version of "Marathon" do you prefer, and why?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which live version of "Marathon" do you prefer, and why?

• A Show Of Hands
    • Time Machine : Live In Cleveland

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Nov 15 2011, 07:40 PM)
I love the Time Machine version as well, but my vote had to go the Show of Hands version...a saw that tour and can remember seeing them play that live at the Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey like it was yesterday.

See, I'm the exact opposite because I saw them perform it on the Time Machine tour, which was my first concert experience! smile.gif

I agree with OP in that there was more energy, and I enjoy the faster pace.

I like the Time Machine version better. I'm a little biased on this because my first Rush concerts were during the 1st and 2nd legs of the TM Tour, but there pacing is just better on the new one.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Nov 15 2011, 07:21 PM)
I actually enjoy the "Time Machine Live" version just a little more...it's more fast-paced, and just seems to have more energy. yes.gif

Yep. Not that the ASOH version didn't have enough energy, but the TM version benefits from a faster tempo, and the instruments they're using now just sound better.

Back the late '80s, the boys were in their pop/lite jazz mode and their guitars and drums were thin sounding. Now, their overall sound has some balls to it, and those synth era songs benefit from that added heaviness, IMO. The TM versions of "Presto" and "Time Stand Still" further illustrates that, I think.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 15 2011, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Nov 15 2011, 07:21 PM)
I actually enjoy the "Time Machine Live" version just a little more...it's more fast-paced, and just seems to have more energy. yes.gif

Yep. Not that the ASOH version didn't have enough energy, but the TM version benefits from a faster tempo, and the instruments they're using now just sound better.

Back the late '80s, the boys were in their pop/lite jazz mode and their guitars and drums were thin sounding. Now, their overall sound has some balls to it, and those synth era songs benefit from that added heaviness, IMO. The TM versions of "Presto" and "Time Stand Still" further illustrates that, I think.

Exactly. I really like how Alex's beefed-up guitar sound on recent tours gives the older synth-heavy songs more balls. Between The Wheels, Mission, and Subdivisions on recent tours, even further illustrate this as well. yes.gif

Marathon was a song that was immensely better live when I saw them in 2010 and 2011.

That being said, I love ASOH so I'm not totally biased.

Of course, that being said, the TM version is better. yes.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 15 2011, 09:31 PM)
Marathon was a song that was immensely better live when I saw them in 2010 and 2011.

That being said, I love ASOH so I'm not totally biased.

Of course, that being said, the TM version is better. yes.gif 1022.gif

And of course, the gunshot at "A lucky shot in the dark!"

That was amazing. wub.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 15 2011, 08:25 PM)

This for sure. I think Geddy was using a Wal on that tour, and it is just too active/punchy for my tastes (though it was a sound that was popular at the time). The Fender Jazz is still really punchy, but has so much more bottom end.

Oh, but to hear it done on a mid-70's sounding Rickenbacker, that would be something. smile.gif

-Jane

2.gif