Hell On Wheels

Presto-a RUSH fan!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Jan 12 2012, 07:22 AM)
Back from being sick to say that Hell On Wheels is the best show currently on tv.

This show is so much better than The Walking Dead. If any show deserves an after show, which pretty much no show deserves or needs one, (well maybe Breaking Bad!) it would be HoW.

Like nobodys hero said, I don't know how historically accurate it is, but it's one heck of a show regardless.

I never thought I'd say this, but mark me down as a Common fan (the rapper who plays Elam Ferguson) and I don't think there is a bad actor/actress in the bunch.

This show has great acting and directing and the sets look really realistic, well as far as I know!

And the main thing I wondered when I heard about this show was how the dialogue would be. Would it be old English and exact for the time making it hard on the ears? Would it be totally updated? I think it is right were it needs to be and believable, which is what I go by. Whereas a show like The Walking Dead has such bad dialogue, it doesn't matter if they all spoke with thick southern accents or sound like they were from Canada, eh?, the words that come out of their mouths just suck. 062802puke_prv.gif

I NEVER thought I'd like HoW, as I have previously said I am not a big western/early American movie/tv show fan, but this show is just great on every level. If you'd have said before TWD and HoW came out that I'd love HoW and just barely stand TWD I would have thought you were crazy! Maybe I am crazy! wacko.gif But I love this show! applaudit.gif

My wife has been watching it, and I just started and think it's good.

All true PaRF.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jan 16 2012, 05:11 PM)
<---

I bet you can't guess who my favorite character on TV is. wink.gif

Yeah, he is a great character and I like how he is called "The Swede" and he didn't get why people thought he was from Sweden.

My favorite is Elam Ferguson (the rapper Common) followed closely by Cullen Bohannon. But I also love the businessman, Thomas Durant. Ok so I love the whole cast! Because the Reverend is great as are the two Irish brothers and the Eva, the...well the whore. Just a top notch cast all the way around.

I love this show and I am so relieved it's coming back for season 2.

But I finally watched the season finale, and I have to agree with Khan though, the finale wasn't as great as I thought it would be. But I still love the show. It is so much better than The Walking Dead it's ridiculous. And I am not a big western fan.

SPOILER

I loved how they actually portrayed tarring and feathering. You hear the expression and my only reference for it was from Jackass when they tarred and feathered Ryan Dunn. But the interesting thing is, I never really thought about it as a torture, which it definitely was. Like in Jackass (I know, not really known for being historically accurate!!) But I didn't really think about the fact that the tar would be hot! (obviously it wasn't on Jackass) I guess if I'd have put thought into it, I'd have realized that fact. I figured it was more of a embarrassment to people to have that done to them. But then when you see what it really means, scalding hot tar poured on your body, I don't think they needed to bother with the feathers! The Swede looked pretty bad when he pulled down that wanted poster at the end.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Mar 21 2012, 12:51 AM)
I just pre-ordered the blu ray coming out 5/15! Can't wait.

Excellent buy! I might end up buying it, but since it's so recent, I will probably wait for a while and for the price to drop.

Assuming you bought it on Amazon, if I were you, I'd throw that back into my shopping cart and hit "save for later". Then every couple days go into your cart and if there is a price change, since it's in your cart, even though it's "saved for later" it will show you any price changes any time you go into your cart. My cart literally has 174 items in it all "saved for later." So any time I go into my cart, which I just have a link on my desktop directly to my Amazon shopping cart, a box will pop up showing any items in my cart that changed prices. I expect that the price will drop and since you pre-ordered you should get the lowest price before it's released.

In my experience, they sometime don't give you the discount. I pre-ordered the 2112/MP Classic Album DVD/BluRay combo and the price dropped by $5 after I ordered. When they eventually sent it to me, they charged me the original price. If I wouldn't have seen the lower price, I would have been out $5. And when I called, the rep had no way to tell what the lowest price the item had dropped to. He just took my word for it. So for all I know, I could have ended up losing out on even more money.

So, if I were you, I'd keep an eye on the price and make note when and if it ends up going down.

All that said...again, great buy! HoW is one of the best shows on TV and that is coming from someone who normally doesn't like westerns, although I end up enjoying the good ones every time, I'm just never excited to watch them and almost didn't record HoW for that reason. I am so glad I did!

Has anyone been watching season 2??

Minor

Spoilers:

The scene at the end of the latest episode with Bohannan being reintroduced to Hell on Wheels, where he comes face to face with The Swede, made my day. That was absolute gold.

Edited by KenJennings

Just finished the first four episodes. Season 1 on Netflix

Camerawork and editing are outstanding.

People who are wondering about historical accuracy.... . I would view this like a CSI television show. Accurate no... but in the real world crimes do get solved and there was a railroad built. The period is represented.

This westerns feels a bit ham-fistedly modern, some of the dialogue just throws me. Colm Meaney is excellent as the impresario but so far it seems they use him largely to just paint the total picture and move the story along, a bit of a waste. The Bohannon character so far is my least favorite of the lot, I really do not enjoy watching characters that are drunk a large part of the time. It is just an irk of mine and I feel in this case it is a bit justified. The drinking scenes just seem like lazy writing and are not used much more than a scene wasting device. Very little of it drives a plot or describes a character in any way.

Well, so far I have complained a lot about this series but actually I am enjoying it. It is certainly noDeadwood butHell on Wheels is quite a bit better than most hour long TV programming out there.

Edited by burgeranacoke

Hell On Wheels renewed for Season 3.

It will be interesting to see how they pick of the pieces of Season 2... I just hope that the Swede is able to return after meeting his ambiguous end.

I can't imagine The Swede is really dead. No body...

Great end to the season. I think it's safe to say Cullen's thirst for revenge has been rekindled.

I really didn't get into HOW until about half way through the 2nd season although I'd seen it a few times 'cuz my wife watches it.

Swede is dead. I don't see how or think they can bring him back. Just like life, the end of season 2 started a whole new chapter with Bohannon as boss.

bigtime spoilers ahead

My prediction for season 3 is that Thomas Durant finds himself in bigtime legal trouble, with nobody left around to make sense of his books... except the Swede. Swede washes ashore and finds himself saved by the influence of Durant, who needs him alive and well to set things straight. Swede agrees, as this is a way to strip Bohannon of the only thing he has left- the railroad. Swede fixes the books, Durant gets off the hook, or at least partially off the hook, and Swede resumes his role from the first season as Durant's right hand man. Meanwhile, Bohannon somehow finds himself back at the mercy of Durant, where he has to be very careful not to get himself killed in the process.

Agreed. This season started out a bit slow, but now it's definitely picking up. I'm shocked (well, not really) by what the Swede is up to... and I'm trying to figure out what he's planning. Bohannon's new unlikely ally is quite an interesting turn as well. It's kind of funny to see Durant kind of in the Swede's role from last year- plotting and scheming, and sabotaging progress in small ways at every turn- but at the same time, I'm not entirely convinced that Durant is behind all of it, especially the cattle rustlers from a few episodes back...

It will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Agreed. This season started out a bit slow, but now it's definitely picking up. I'm shocked (well, not really) by what the Swede is up to... and I'm trying to figure out what he's planning. Bohannon's new unlikely ally is quite an interesting turn as well. It's kind of funny to see Durant kind of in the Swede's role from last year- plotting and scheming, and sabotaging progress in small ways at every turn- but at the same time, I'm not entirely convinced that Durant is behind all of it, especially the cattle rustlers from a few episodes back...

I'm surprised Swede is still alive (as you might guess from my last post from the previous season). That dude is creep!!! It was pretty obvious he was gonna do what he did, so there was no surprise there. I think he plans on going to Salt Lake City to try to pass himself off as the Bishop there. The kid mentioned that his father was going to be the most powerful man there when they arrived and I think Swede is going to assume that roll.

I'm surprised Swede is still alive (as you might guess from my last post from the previous season). That dude is creep!!! It was pretty obvious he was gonna do what he did, so there was no surprise there. I think he plans on going to Salt Lake City to try to pass himself off as the Bishop there. The kid mentioned that his father was going to be the most powerful man there when they arrived and I think Swede is going to assume that roll.

I hope they have some kind of flashback or explanation of how he is still alive....like he was adopted and nursed back to health by a pack of wolves or something.

I hope they have some kind of flashback or explanation of how he is still alive....like he was adopted and nursed back to health by a pack of wolves or something.

STILL waiting for a "why/how" Swede is still alive...season is almost over!