04 - Best Song From 2112

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1275 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• A Passage to Bangkok
    • The Twilight Zone
    • Lessons
    • Tears
    • Something for Nothing

Obviously 2112 in its entirety has got to be the best but SOMETHING FOR NOTHING is a really good second best. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

And the meek shall inherit the earth. passage to bangkok is fun cause it reminds me of the old days when one could sample so many fine things from around the world, man it was great. and yes smoke rings do fill the air!!!

I have to agree with Rushgoober and 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 that the poll isn't altogether fair as posed, with all seven parts of the "2112" suite pitched as a single song against the others. On the one hand, I respect the integrity of the suite, and it's a single track on the CD for a reason--compare how David Lynch refuses to offer chapters in the DVD releases of his films--but it still seems an odd way to measure song against song. Especially since Rush themselves play only the Overture and "Temples of Syrinx" in the Rush in Rio concert!

If the poll offered us choices among all the parts of "2112" separately, I'd've voted for the Overture as my favorite. As it was, I voted for "A Passage to Bangkok," which I enjoy for the way it rocks even as it cracks me up.

"Twilight Zone" actually hurt my ears when I first heard it (in a car with the volume up) and Alex hit that single piercing note that hangs in the air for a while. Cool, but ouch!

Has to be 2112. Though i agree it has a distinct advantage over the others as it could be broken down into several tracks.

This was the first album i ever heard from Rush. What a way to start your Rush experience ! The 30th ann had me stunned when they played 2112. Best version i have seen myself...by far cool.gif

This is kind of crazy. I didn't like much of this album the first time I heard it. However, I did like the "Overture/Temples of Syrinx" and "Passage to Bangkok" early on. After some time, I really did get into side one, and just recently, I've really become hooked on the entire album. The only Rush album I could easily listen to from beginning to end was Moving Pictures for a long time. Suddenly, I was pulled in by "Twilight Zone" and "Something for Nothing." Soon, the whole thing fell into place and I rank 2112 as my second favorite after Moving Pictures. I especially like how the album begins with a bang with the Overture, goes through ups and downs on the softer stuff like "Tears," and ends with a bang on "Something for Nothing." This album is to me what Rush is truly about and makes me wish there was a bit more stuff of this caliber out there. 1022.gif

"Listen to my music and hear what it can do..."