04 - Best Song From 2112

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1275 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• A Passage to Bangkok
    • The Twilight Zone
    • Lessons
    • Tears
    • Something for Nothing

...only one answer to this question really....2112!

But if I was to be forced to say which part of it is my favourite. I obviously like the beginning, Overture, But I also like Soliloquy/Grand Finale...couldn't believe it when they played Grand Finale at the R30 concert laugh.gif

I have just received the remastered CD of 2112....its cool (I only ever had it on vinyl before)

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 3 2004, 06:03 AM)
...only one answer to this question really....2112!

But if I was to be forced to say which part of it is my favourite. I obviously like the beginning, Overture, But I also like Soliloquy/Grand Finale...couldn't believe it when they played Grand Finale at the R30 concert laugh.gif

I have just received the remastered CD of 2112....its cool (I only ever had it on vinyl before)

AlexFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  GeddyFinal.gif

something for nothing...

The title track is landmark and legendary. There can be no other choice, imo. 2112 is historic. Side 2 is just gravy - and damn good gravy at that!!! laugh.gif Not a bad song on side 2 - they just can't touch #1.

I still miss that old Mercury record label. I mean, the actual picture on the label of the 2112 album. Anyone have it?

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 5 2005, 11:28 AM)
The title track is landmark and legendary. There can be no other choice, imo. 2112 is historic. Side 2 is just gravy - and damn good gravy at that!!! laugh.gif Not a bad song on side 2 - they just can't touch #1.

I still miss that old Mercury record label. I mean, the actual picture on the label of the 2112 album. Anyone have it?

I haven't the picture label of 2112, but I do have the Hemispheres one. My FTK album has the Mercury label with the skyscraper on it, all the rest of the early albums are the regular blue Mercury labels.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 5 2005, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 5 2005, 11:28 AM)
The title track is landmark and legendary.  There can be no other choice, imo.  2112 is historic.  Side 2 is just gravy - and damn good gravy at that!!!  laugh.gif Not a bad song on side 2 - they just can't touch #1.

I still miss that old Mercury record label.  I mean, the actual picture on the label of the 2112 album.  Anyone have it?

I haven't the picture label of 2112, but I do have the Hemispheres one. My FTK album has the Mercury label with the skyscraper on it, all the rest of the early albums are the regular blue Mercury labels.

Yeah it's the label with the skyscraper. At least, that's what my copy of 2112 has. I would love to get some .jpg files of the various vinyl labels. Would be kewl. cool.gif

'Something For Nothing'. The most conservative song that Neil has ever written. Not saying that that was his intent, but that's what I get from it.

I've argued before with someone who interpreted the song as you do. Let's just say I disagree about it being a "conservative" song. Neil's lyrics don't strike me as conservative, politically or otherwise. There is, however, one lyric I can think of which might be construed that way (perhaps "Anthem" should be the "most conservative song"):

"...and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more." (A 'bleeding heart' Liberal endlessly looking for a handout?)

QUOTE (Each Another's Audience @ Jan 7 2005, 09:33 PM)
'Something For Nothing'. The most conservative song that Neil has ever written. Not saying that that was his intent, but that's what I get from it.

I've argued before with someone who interpreted the song as you do. Let's just say I disagree about it being a "conservative" song. Neil's lyrics don't strike me as conservative, politically or otherwise. There is, however, one lyric I can think of which might be construed that way (perhaps "Anthem" should be the "most conservative song"):

"...and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more." (A 'bleeding heart' Liberal endlessly looking for a handout?)

Rush's songs rarely, if at all, have to do with politics.

Of course, there's a lot to be said for the title track..... wink.gif

QUOTE (faultline @ Sep 19 2004, 11:26 PM)
I guess it is all subjective, but everyone is reading this as "Their favorite song" , rather than "Best song"...I am guilty of this too for other albums. But....2112 is by far the best song, which I voted for. My favorite song right now is Tears. It was, and is an unlikely Rush song. It is quieter than most..relationship oriented..and it is a very lovely song...structured quite nicely.

I agree with you, the best song is 2112. my favorite song on there right now is something for nothing. For some reason when i hear it now I crank it up.

Tears is very good wrote by Geddy I might add