04 - Best Song From 2112

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1275 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• A Passage to Bangkok
    • The Twilight Zone
    • Lessons
    • Tears
    • Something for Nothing

Tears is my favourite

Nice choice, RAA. When I first got 2112 back in high school, I of course loved the epic 2112, but the individual songs are very interesting.

I LOVE the Mellotron on 'Tears', just lovely. Really a nice arrangement for such a 'bombastic' group, especially back then when they had a belly full of fire.

Who knows...perhaps it was another middle finger to the record execs; "Screw you! You want a hard rock single...so here's a f***ing BALLAD with a Mellotron! Suck on this Moody Blues shit!" :rage:

LOL

• Like 3

Tears is my favourite

Nice choice, RAA. When I first got 2112 back in high school, I of course loved the epic 2112, but the individual songs are very interesting.

I LOVE the Mellotron on 'Tears', just lovely. Really a nice arrangement for such a 'bombastic' group, especially back then when they had a belly full of fire.

Who knows...perhaps it was another middle finger to the record execs; "Screw you! You want a hard rock single...so here's a f***ing BALLAD with a Mellotron! Suck on this Moody Blues shit!" :rage:

LOL

Somewhere, Mike Pinder is laughing.

Yes, the Mellotron is the best thing ever, which is some of the reason the Moodies are my favorite band and why I listen to Zebra a lot.

I also enjoy Tears more than the average Rush fan. Maybe it helped that the prog band I followed 20+ years ago used to cover it.

• Like 1

This one is really the only complete no-brainer of any Rush album as to the best song. 2112 is probably the best song Rush ever did in it's 20+ minute form. What is so awesome about it is that it is both available to listen in it's seperate parts and as a whole and still sounds amazing. It's an epic tale of an individual taking on authority. Some longer songs from even Rush or Zeppelin or Pink Floyd etc you kinda don't really like parts of the song or you lose attention really this doesn't happen with 2112 because ever part is important to the whole. The other songs are decent songs for the most part but just don't hold a candle to 2112.

Well for me it's obviously (so obviously) 2112, aka the foundation of my love for Rush. BUT, picking from the B-Side I like both A Passage to Bangkok (mainly because of Geddy's voice, especially that little growl thing at "fly by morning light") and The Twilight Zone (likely due to my love for the show and my mom's taste for the song).

Easily 2112

I really like this song but I'm not a fan of the rest of the album at all !

Ouch. Welcome to the forum anyway.... :cheers: :)

Thank you ! I don't hate it but somehow these songs fail to keep my attention. Except A passage To Bangkok.

pre-A Farewell To Kings, RUSH for me was a band I liked among many other bands. There were a few songs I didn't really like on each record.

...but with A Farewell To Kings and the three albums that followed, RUSH became my favorite band !

Edited by Tuesday's Gone
  • Like 1

Thank you ! I don't hate it but somehow these songs fail to keep my attention. Except A passage To Bangkok.

pre-A Farewell To Kings, RUSH for me was a band I liked among many other bands. There were a few songs I didn't really like on each record.

...but with A Farewell To Kings and the three albums that followed, RUSH became my favorite band !

I enjoy all of side two but I am in the minority I'm afraid....

I enjoy all of side two but I am in the minority I'm afraid....

There is only one 2112s2 song I don't enjoy and that is The Twilight Zone. I even like Tears and Lessons, which seem to be major targets for intense dislike...

Edited by len(songs)

There is not one song on 2112 that doesn't rock my socks off. I can't get enough of this album.

Can I just say that I also adore the whole of side two as well...

But 2112 is one of the few songs that has moved me to tears.

I'd have to say the title track is bloody marvelous! I especially enjoyed the Overture/Temples of Syrinx because it immediately launches you into the story with full on power rock!

The Twilight Zone certainly lives up to its name, I barely heard the show and thanks to Rush I'm now doing some discovering on the programme!

I do have to admit though, I find the second half a little underwhelming.

Edited by The Cosmic Lawnmower