Favorite English supergroup

MMCXII

which English heavyweight do you like best?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. which English heavyweight do you like best?

• Black Sabbath
    • Deep Purple
    • Led Zeppelin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 11 2011, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 11 2011, 07:56 PM)
They're all among the all time greats for sure but it's hard not go with the Zep here. They produced 8 stellar and diverse studio albums. Purple and Sabbath both had albums that were less than great. DP managed only 4 studio with their classic line up at its peak but may have been the best of the 3 live.

In Through the Out Door and Presence are not so stellar.

If only all of Presence could have been as great as Achilles Last Stand.

So 6 stellar albums just like Sabbath...

Yeah, but there were only like 2 on Technical Exctasy that sucked (Rock N Roll Doctor, and It's Alright.)

Never Say Die! had some gems on it too, "Johnny Blade, Junior's Eyes, Shockwave, and Air Dance." (Shoot me.)

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 11 2011, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Nov 11 2011, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 11 2011, 06:36 PM)
Isn't a supergroup when musicians from other bands came together for a collaboration like "Asia" or "Big Dirty Band"?

I thought so...

Yeah the phrase supergroup is used wrongly here, although Zeppelin could be seen as a kind of supergroup with former Yardbirds man Jimmy Page and session man JPJ in the outfit. They were in fact originally called the New Yardbirds...

I believe it's being used correctly in this case. It was also often used to describe groups that achieved huge record sales and began to fill stadiums or achieved a certain status and mystique.

I'm a Heavy Metal Highjacker tonight!!

For a second I thought this thread was about the band SUPAGROUP!

They actually have a new album out called "Hail Hail."

These three incredible Legendary bands are stale and old!!

My vote goes to SUPAGROUP!!!!!

Real Rock And Roll is still alive and well!!!!

http://supagroup.net/

If I had to pick one of these dinosaur "metal" bands I just wouldn't do that in 2011.

I would give my vote to BUDGIE!!

Damn I love three piece bands! wink.gif

2.gif ON!

PRIMUS SUCKS! tongue.gif

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Nov 11 2011, 11:16 PM)
They're all among the all time greats for sure but it's hard not go with the Zep here. They produced 8 stellar and diverse studio albums. Purple and Sabbath both had albums that were less than great. DP managed only 4 studio with their classic line up at its peak but may have been the best of the 3 live.

Yeah, but there were only like 2 on Technical Exctasy that sucked (Rock N Roll Doctor, and It's Alright.)

Never Say Die! had some gems on it too, "Johnny Blade, Junior's Eyes, Shockwave, and Air Dance." (Shoot me.)

I pretty much agree. I'm a big fan of Never Say Die and I definitely prefer it to In Through the Out Door by a mile and I like it better than Presence too. It's a good album, it's just not as great as the first six Sabs albums. Technical Ecstasy isn't as good as NSD but again for me it's far better than Zep's ITTOD.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 12 2011, 02:57 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Nov 11 2011, 11:16 PM)

I pretty much agree. I'm a big fan of Never Say Die and I definitely prefer it to In Through the Out Door by a mile and I like it better than Presence too. It's a good album, it's just not as great as the first six Sabs albums. Technical Ecstasy isn't as good as NSD but again for me it's far better than Zep's ITTOD.

I have to respectfully disagree. Presence and ITTOD simply leave TE and NSD in the dust. For Your Life, Nobody's Fault, Tea For One and Hots On For Nowhere are all amazingly intense tracks. Page is just on fire and Bonham's drumming is incredible. Best rock album of '76. By comparison, those last two Sabbath albums with Ozzy sound like a band that's directionless, floundering and lacking in fire and creative energy. ITTOD is certainly different but it still sounds like a brave step forward, that they were still inspired and the creative spark was still there to make some great music.

All 3 bands are great..that's a tough call.

Gotta go with the mighty Zep.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 12 2011, 12:30 AM)
I'm a Heavy Metal Highjacker tonight!!

For a second I thought this thread was about the band SUPAGROUP!

They actually have a new album out called "Hail Hail."

These three incredible Legendary bands are stale and old!!

My vote goes to SUPAGROUP!!!!!

Real Rock And Roll is still alive and well!!!!

http://supagroup.net/

If I had to pick one of these dinosaur "metal" bands I just wouldn't do that in 2011.

I would give my vote to BUDGIE!!

Damn I love three piece bands! wink.gif

2.gif ON!

PRIMUS SUCKS! tongue.gif

Wait. Look up in the sky..

It's a budgie... No it's a Zeppelin .. No it's... SUPAGROUP!!!!!! Lol

trink39.gif

Double post cool10.gif Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 11 2011, 08:36 PM)
Isn't a supergroup when musicians from other bands came together for a collaboration like "Asia" or "Big Dirty Band"?

Damn you're right. You know what I mean though..

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 13 2011, 05:43 AM)
thankfully zep has taken a sizable lead, which is what i expected from the start. not to put down sabbath, but they hardly have anywhere near the popularity as zeppelin.

Sabbath should be winning the poll just because you're supporting the other view!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 13 2011, 03:01 PM)
Has to be Zeppelin. I love the other two, but Zeppelin's music is streets ahead.

Streets ahead? That doesn't make sense at all. If it were true then you'd listen to Zep 80% more than the other two. Purple would get a six monthly blast and then another one a Crimbo, Sabbath might get a listen at your birthday. Get it right mate or get off along home...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 13 2011, 08:12 PM)
Has to be Zeppelin. I love the other two, but Zeppelin's music is streets ahead.

Streets ahead? That doesn't make sense at all. If it were true then you'd listen to Zep 80% more than the other two. Purple would get a six monthly blast and then another one a Crimbo, Sabbath might get a listen at your birthday. Get it right mate or get off along home...

Over the past few years I've listened to the other two a bit more, but Zep have been blowing my mind since the early '80's. From Zep I to Presence they were damn near faultless, The Crunge their one truly abysmal song. But the variety of styles and textures on every album, compared to the one-dimensional Sabs(and a fine dimension it is!) and Purples prosaic hard rock thunder, marks them out as FAR superior to the other two.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 13 2011, 03:27 PM)

Over the past few years I've listened to the other two a bit more, but Zep have been blowing my mind since the early '80's. From Zep I to Presence they were damn near faultless, The Crunge their one truly abysmal song. But the variety of styles and textures on every album, compared to the one-dimensional Sabs(and a fine dimension it is!) and Purples prosaic hard rock thunder, marks them out as FAR superior to the other two.

Well I don't see that, to me whichever way you go, Sabbath, Zep or Purple there's not a lot between them...

You just liked Zep more because you thought it might help you pull a few Irish rocker chicks...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 13 2011, 08:30 PM)

Well I don't see that, to me whichever way you go, Sabbath, Zep or Purple there's not a lot between them...

You just liked Zep more because you thought it might help you pull a few Irish rocker chicks...

laugh.gif

If only!!!

In West Cork in the 1980's there were no rock chicks. Lot of rocks though.

And girls with bad perms and big jumpers. And snoods. And culottes.

The '80's, the decade fashion forgot.

No, Zeppelin kept me sane.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 13 2011, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 13 2011, 08:30 PM)

laugh.gif

If only!!!

In West Cork in the 1980's there were no rock chicks. Lot of rocks though.

And girls with bad perms and big jumpers. And snoods. And culottes.

The '80's, the decade fashion forgot.

No, Zeppelin kept me sane.

trink39.gif

1022.gif