Leave That Thing Alone sounds a bit awkward?

Itty12

Is it just me or does the beginning of LTTA sound a bit off beat or something? It sounds a bit funny as if Neil started too late and Geddy worked off that but Alex seemed to come in when he was supposed to but was forced to fallow Neil's late start when it came to his main rif. Am I just making this up or am i correct?

Are you talking about the very beginning where the synth sample is playing and then Neil comes in about a split second or so late after Geddy says "Hey!"? If so then yes I did find that a bit unusual but not something that's really bothering but I don't think that tiny delay affected when Geddy or Alex come in because I think that's how the arrangement was for the tour.

The Different Stages version had Neil's drums come in first, Geddy's bass two measures later, and finally Alex's guitar a measure after that. On Rush In Rio, Neil and Alex come in at the same time with Geddy following 2 measure later; you don't hear Alex's guitar part at first because he's using a volume pedal which makes it sound like the guitar part is fading in. On Live In Cleveland, Geddy comes 2 measures later after Neil, and then Alex a half measure later. I do know that the Rio sounds closer to the one in Counterparts in terms of where the instruments come in but during the Counterparts tour, Geddy and Alex come in at the same time after Neil. You can always check out videos of different performances of it on YouTube to see what I mean.

I'm not sure if this is what your question is about, but hopefully it's informative and useful in some way.

Synth sounds off? I think I gotta listen to that track again because I always thought that Geddy triggered the pedal at the right time and it was just Neil who came in a split second late. Now that you mention it, I think you may be right.

I noticed the beginning, but otherwise, the awkward thing was the guitar not coming through when alex is playing those awesome chords during the 1:36 mark on the studio album the second time they get to that part. Otherwise, the song was awesome with the added solo.

1:36 on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLq0tpZZe7M

I think the song sounds great on the cd. however I really liked it how on Rush in Rio it goes straight into the drum solo.

I played around with my ipod, creating a playlist for the entire show and moved the song to just in front of the drum solo, where I wanted it to go. I chopped off the last 2 or 3 seconds where Geddy speaks at the end of the song, and now have a nice flow of Leave that Thing Alone right into Moto Perpetuo.

I was not a real big fan of Caravan going into the drum solo. No big deal, but that was a pretty cool solution. Now I have a nice long second set!

QUOTE (Just an Escape Artist @ Nov 15 2011, 02:23 PM)
I think the song sounds great on the cd. however I really liked it how on Rush in Rio it goes straight into the drum solo.

I played around with my ipod,  creating a playlist for the entire show and moved the song to just in front of the drum solo, where I wanted it to go. I chopped off the last 2 or 3 seconds where Geddy speaks at the end of the song, and now have a nice flow of Leave that Thing Alone right into Moto Perpetuo.

I was not a real big fan of Caravan going into the drum solo. No big deal, but that was a pretty cool solution. Now I have a nice long second set!

I think this was the best live version of Leave That Thing Alone so far. It won't bother me that much if there's mistakes on this song or the rest of the show. Looking back at previous live albums, I realized that there have been "mistakes" that were actually kept in. On R30, the Tom Sawyer opening synth was accidentally triggered but it didn't cause a trainwreck, it made the song sound cooler actually.

Different Stages also had LTTA precede the drum solo. Had Malignant Narcissism made the setlist on this tour, it was bound to be placed before the solo, without question. Besides Caravan, I think Red Sector A during the R30 tour was the other non-instrumental that preceded Neil's solo.

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Dec 9 2011, 06:28 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Nov 16 2011, 10:29 PM)
They should have "left that thing Alone" in the archives forever... schla03.gif

I beg to differ. It was a highlight of this tour - other than Caravan or Faithless ...

Definitely a highlight!

Geddy should give his voice more down time by doing more instrumentals.

But I guess that would be the easy route which is so not Rush!

I wish that on the whole recording, but on this song in particular that the bass was more prominent.. The solo at the end sounded really muddy and less impressive that the Rio solo, but I know this one was better.

I mean LOOK at this!!!

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Nov 9 2011, 10:00 PM)
Synth sounds off? I think I gotta listen to that track again because I always thought that Geddy triggered the pedal at the right time and it was just Neil who came in a split second late. Now that you mention it, I think you may be right.

I haven't seen it yet, but Neil is probably listening to a metronome which makes it impossible to compensate for any timing issues the other guys might have. Another thing that happens sometimes if not using a metronome for reference is having trouble hearing other instruments in the monitor mix. It doesn't take much to throw a drummer off a half a beat or so if he can't hear where the beat even is.

I'm so curious about this I might have to buy the damn bd...

Edited by the masked drummer

Time Machine version is the best. I really like the arrangement of having the sequencer come in, then drums, bass, and then finally guitar. It seems like the TM version has so much more power than Rio, but just my humble opinion. It was amazing when I saw them at MSG.