THE ONLY BORED THREAD v.1

ghostworks

I got an email from a guy in Nigeria this morning. He wants to share his wealth.  All I need to do is send him my contact information, and he will arrange to send me a box of cash post-haste.

Who's address should I send him? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grep said:

I got an email from a guy in Nigeria this morning. He wants to share his wealth.  All I need to do is send him my contact information, and he will arrange to send me a box of cash post-haste.

Who's address should I send him? 

dude! score!

send it over here if you don't mind

1 hour ago, Mr. Not said:

is that some sort of yacht rock reference? because i really wouldn't know... 

Yacht rock is definitely a summer thing like when chilling with drinks on the boat yacht. Toto, Christopher Cross, Jimmy Buffett, a lot of Chicago, I'm not really a fan. Yacht rock is a little soft for guy so metal like me.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, Mr. Not said:

one thing i assume about yacht rock is that it kind of sucks

but there's no way for me to tell for sure

most of it is awesome, excellent music that was either light rock pop hits or completely ignored/marginalized at the time (heyday being 1977-1986) - an emphasis on stellar production and exacting studio performances weighs heavily - a West Coast California vibe pervades much of it, eschewing the late 70's/early 80's hard rock posturing histrionics and bombastic displays for a decidedly 'clean' and 'smooth' approach to composition and production

an incredibly brief list below of some of the prime purveyors here, and important to note; most complete catalogs by these groups would not apply as 'yacht rock' whatsoever - it's an extremely specific vibe and sound - sometimes found only on individual tracks on albums - that lasted less than 10 years

Steely Dan
Michael McDonald
Hall & Oates

Pages

George Benson

Christopher Cross

Kenny Loggins

Foreigner

Rupert Holmes

Toto

yacht rock enjoyment level generalizations by age group

• 20-somethings

> mostly sincere interest but not quite sure if it's all a joke so hesitant to commit

• 30-somethings

> mostly ironic interest and assume it's all a joke but they earnestly stream and buy the music and attend the cover band shows

• 40-somethings

> mostly nostalgic interest but they sincerely resent the 'yacht rock' term itself as an insult to their favorite bands and assume everyone else 'into it' is a hipster douche

• 50-somethings

> nostalgic and sincere interest and don't care at all about what anyone wants to call it

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 1:09 PM, JohnRogers said:

Yacht rock is definitely a summer thing like when chilling with drinks on the boat yacht. Toto, Christopher Cross, Jimmy Buffett, a lot of Chicago, I'm not really a fan. Yacht rock is a little soft for guy so metal like me.

None more metal?

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 7:29 PM, BastillePark said:

Shake hands with beef. 

Isn't that a Primus song?

On 12/26/2022 at 2:13 PM, ozzy85 said:

*fart*

Gag

Farding, my wife and I discussed it this morning.

On 2/22/2024 at 8:19 AM, JohnRogers said:

Farding, my wife and I discussed it this morning.

My wife used to fart when she was nervous....she used to fart in her sleep.....  (Sean Maguire)