Time Machine Blu Ray

Quoboy

The Blu Ray landed on the mat this morning, and I have to say it's awesome! Best 3 hours I've spent since May 14th!!! Getting rid of my lovely wife tonight so I can watch it all over again!!

2.gif

Got mine too.. i see what others were saying about the shots of geddy being not too sharp. It is what it is. it looks alot better than the youtube clips from VH1. But geddy voice is aching.... the worst i ever heard him. hes not singing , hes screaming. HE SOUNDS ALOT BETTER ON need some love FROM 74. HA HA

Another amazing concert video from Rush. Everything just came out so well on this one. For some reason -- can't put my finger on it yet -- ths video is definitely one of the more immersive vids they've put out, especially in recent years. Excellent, excellent job.

Peace,

Ron

I picked up my blu ray of Rush: Live in Cleveland today, I don't have time tonight to watch the whole thing, but I watched TSoR, Presto, Tom Sawyer, 2112, Far Cry and the encores. I must say the quality is amazing. It is so well done that I got all emotional during the opening/TSoR because of how it reminded my of those concert days/weekend spent revolving around the concerts and the good times surrounding them.

Editing/Video:

Picture quality is mind blowing, there no substitute to a 25Gb Blu-Ray Disc.

The camera is always where it should be. Neil has an epic fill coming? Top down drum cam. Lifeson guitar solo? Dynamic Lifeson view. Geddy Lee synth/singing/bass playing simultaneously? Epic shot capturing that too. Audience going nuts during the 2112 Overture during the "HEY!" section? AWWWW YEAH.

Some shots are just great. For instance: during presto there's this one shot that gets Neil and Alex perfectly in the frame for their part together. There are so many great shots in those songs alone that you can tell took planning on the directors parts to pull off, which shows how much effort they put into it.

The sound:

Band: as usual, they sound amazing, Neil's bass drum could have been a bit louder, but that can be adjusted on home theater. tongue.gif

Geddy: Sounds just like I remember, perfect 90% of the time, amazing during the other 10%.

I only have two minor gripes:

1) One camera on Ged's left appears from time to time to be having a lens fogging issue. I didn't notice them using the angle too frequently, so it's not so bad.

2) Sometimes the camera cuts away from the band in the middle of a song to focus on one specific fan for a moment. It's brief and infrequent, but unnecessary.

9/10

edited to add detail to some points, revise a small mistake.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (Quoboy @ Nov 8 2011, 11:21 AM)
The Blu Ray landed on the mat this morning, and I have to say it's awesome! Best 3 hours I've spent since May 14th!!! Getting rid of my lovely wife tonight so I can watch it all over again!!

2.gif

You're getting rid of her? ohmy.gif I hope you're not gonna leave her in the trunk of your car for hours while you drive her to the freshly dug lime pit? unsure.gif ph34r.gif

ohmy.gif

Wow. Wowed. what a thoroughly enjoyable movie. first let me say, I hate best buy. they can't deliver on time like amazon, so went to the store to pick it up. the wife watched a little of it, but mostly stayed away, letting me do my thing wub.gif I got vaklempt a few times, smiled the rest of the time and LOVED it! With the shots used, you could tell it was made by fans.

I loved the show's pacing. BEST FREE WILL EVER. BU2B was intense! Geddy's indulgences where are amazing. Neil was in utter command on every song. Alex shredded. Neil's solo was very impressive, and a couple of teenagers who wandered into the living room stayed a couple minutes to watch with slacked jaws tongue.gif they were suitability impressed. speaking of company, both my cats ended up coming in to jam for a while. Little Foots rocked out with me 4 a bit and Charlie's ears went boing straight up when 2112 started, then settled into my lap.

Great sound.. great everything. I could talk about every song. I'm extremely satisfied with how the blu ray turned out. I don't know how they can do it. Play that well, for that long. And I was there that night, with the best audience ever. trink38.gif 2.gif

I bought the DVD and found it very blurry in a lot of spots especially the full stage views. Sound was good to great. Geddy was on fire. I found his singing pretty darn good, especially on TSS and marathon. I think witch hunt was my fav.

Is the Blu-ray version blurry in spots???

QUOTE (N.O.RUSH @ Nov 8 2011, 10:31 PM)
Is the Blu-ray version blurry in spots???

no.gif

Just got done watching the blu-ray and the picture is amazing. It also might depend on what type of TV your watching it on. Then again it's hard for anything to look bad on my 43 inch flat screen biggrin.gif

Great sound, performance and editing. An awsome DVD all the way around.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Some have noticed inconsistencies between shots. I got the BD tonight and watched much of it, and I did notice some of the shots were a little softer than the rest, but it wasn't enough of a difference for me to care much about it. Really, a very minor complaint there.

Some of that softness is due to poor camera focus, I believe. For instance, at 16:10, the wide shot of the stage at the end of "Time Stand Still," and 17:06 during "Presto," on the medium shot of Alex just after the closeup of his hands, the cameras look out of focus to me.

Others have complained about picture grain and noise. I watched this on a 47" LG HDTV with a Samsung BD player connected with HDMI, and I had to get up close to the TV to see any appreciable grain. Sitting back on the couch, the picture grain was pretty much a non-factor.

But overall, the HD picture quality, while not quite as good as the R30 and S&A BDs, is still very good.

My only other complaints (and I'm echoing others' posts here):

The kick drum has no oompf, and I have a subwoofer the size of Rhode Island with a 15" driver. With a sub like that, that kick should have been frightening small animals within a mile radius, but it wasn't (I checked biggrin.gif). And it's not like the whole mix was lacking in bass -- the synth bass pedals sounded fine, for instance.

And, some of the isolated shots of Neil were out of sync with the audio -- at times horribly off. With a video production of this scope, featuring a kind-of famous drummer, that is inexcusable. And it's especially perplexing seeing as the overall quality of the editing is excellent.

Aside from that, the video is fine and enjoyable, and I look forward to watching it again. It's not a reference-quality Blu-ray, but it's still very good, with the boys giving a great performance of a kickass set list.

The blu-ray picture is not quite as sharp as SnA Live but still very nice. A few softer camera angles but not enough to nitpick. What makes this a great video is the PERFORMANCE. The boys are on top of their game right now playing wise and they were on fire. Freewill is just off the charts with great editing to boot. It's late and I haven't got to crank yet but so far I don't have too many complaints about the audio. I expected bad vocals by some of the nitpickers comments but I thought Ged sounded pretty good overall. Highly recommended! Who caught Rush Forum's own Kelly D rocking it out to BU2B? Way to get into it Kelly and congrats on the closeup:)

QUOTE (rushman321 @ Nov 9 2011, 01:09 AM)
Awesome sound and video. Has anyone noticed a split second delay between video and sound?

Yep, especially on a couple of the overhead shots of Neil. Also, when Geddy yelps at the beginning of Leave That Thing Alone, I heard the sound and then his mouth moved. It's odd, because the next angle will be bang on time confused13.gif

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Nov 9 2011, 03:37 AM)
QUOTE (rushman321 @ Nov 9 2011, 01:09 AM)
Awesome sound and video. Has anyone noticed a split second delay between video and sound?

Yep, especially on a couple of the overhead shots of Neil. Also, when Geddy yelps at the beginning of Leave That Thing Alone, I heard the sound and then his mouth moved. It's odd, because the next angle will be bang on time confused13.gif

It would actually make more sense if the whole audio track, or at least a whole big section of it (say, four or more chapters) was out of sync with the video, which could be blamed on a manufacturing defect. That's what happened with the original run of "Saving Private Ryan" Blu-rays -- from chapter 17 or whatever on, it went out.

But it's a different story with the TM video. I don't see how an experienced video editor -- and the person who edited this show is clearly experienced -- didn't notice that these shots of the drummer were out of sync.

QUOTE (rushman321 @ Nov 8 2011, 08:09 PM)

I noticed it while Geddy was singing during Temples Of Syrinx but not anywhere else. That's kind of a weird glitch if you ask me.

Edited by J2112YYZ

With regard to the sound delay, it seemed spot on most of the time, but I did see a couple of instances of it. I'm curious: in the shots of audio not synching, was that a shot of the screen in the background? The background video is always slightly off, and I'm just curious if we're just getting a shot of that.

Also a big puzzler for me: why, if they letterboxed the Stick It Out video for the background (notice it's not 4:3 behind the stage), did they not do it for the brief scenes on the BD? It's just weird how it'll cut to 4:3 for brief periods to show a snippet of the video. Why not letterbox that, too, for consistency? Not a big deal, but something that really jumped out at me.

The major thing that is bugging me is that the DVD (on my system atleast) defaults to 5.1 surround sound mix. I do not have a 5.1 system, so it just sounds like shite.

When I switch it to PCM Stereo, it is fine.

There are a few more oddities that I have noticed on my first watch through, but I do not wish to speculate...

Edit : And I'm wondering if the soft focus is caused by the amount of generated smoke they were using this tour, seemed to be quite excessive in Glasgow for sure.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Nov 9 2011, 12:13 PM)
Jealous. I ordered mine online from BestBuy two weeks ago and it won't be here till next week.  When I've pre-ordered stuff in the past, it would typically arrive on the release date, or at worst the day after.  I hate Best Buy.

Yeah. When I found out it wasn't in the mail yesterday, I went to BB and just bought the sucker. Problem solved. I'll return the mailed one, whenever that arrives. So much for preordering from them ever again. I had gotten use to amazon's release date punctuality and expected professionalism from BB, but instead got Burned By. Seems now that their vendor just throws it in with regular mail and the consumer has to just hope it will arrive sometime during the week. Don't they know a Rush fan can't wait?!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 9 2011, 12:26 PM)
Aside from the different aspect ratio, that music video doesn't have the same resolution as the HD cameras used in shooting the concert, and it would need to be zoomed in on to fill out a 16:9 screen, and that would decrease its sharpness big time.

I would have found that less distracting than a repeated shift in aspect ratio, but that's just my opinion.