TM cd suposley sounds bad..

reani14

got my blu-ray and the live 2 disc...i have only made it through disc 1...sounds good to me, crowd is a little high and drums lack some punch...and geds vocals are fine to me i kinda dig his sound in this live recording....blu-ray watching party tonight...

2.gif

QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 8 2011, 05:45 PM)
no matter what. it will never be different stages.. vocal or sound wise..

no matter what - old Rush good, new Rush bad, right? confused13.gif

(Even when we're talking the last 15 years...)

The CD isn't as good as the blu-ray (15 tracks on a single disc is surely going to have a TON of compressed audio) but it's easily the best official live recording since Different Stages. I only listened to a few songs so far and I'm very happy with the sound. Although I think they could have kept the quality of the Blu Ray with 3CDs. I would have paid extra for it. I can't compare it to previous live recordings, because I haven't taken the time to listen to ASOH, ESL of the P/G tour.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the packaging isn't a paper enveloppe. It's close, but it's nowhere near the crap packaging of Different Stages or Retrospective III.

8/10

edited to throw in score.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 8 2011, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 8 2011, 07:36 PM)
listening to it on Spotify. It's not bad at all.

But does it sound METAL? 1022.gif unsure.gif

Presto still has balls if that's what you mean. DARN STRAIGHT IT'S METAL!

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 8 2011, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 8 2011, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 8 2011, 07:36 PM)
listening to it on Spotify. It's not bad at all.

But does it sound METAL? 1022.gif unsure.gif

Presto still has balls if that's what you mean. DARN STRAIGHT IT'S METAL!

It sounded metal in person!

(well I dunno about Cleveland)

1022.gif trink39.gif

Well I picked up the Blue Ray, LP of Moving Pictures live and of course the CD.

Love the Blue Ray. My son (7 years old) and I rocked out again like we did for two shows. And now having time to digest the shows and watch them on HD the setlist for the exception of one song was fantastic. Stick it Out should have been dropped like a bad habit. The song was sterile, lacked balls (for song that is heavy) and really reeked of being outdated. Really it was the only wart on an otherwise fantastic evening with Rush.

The CD. Well let's just say I am glad I have Presto and Moving Pictures Live. That was the only reason I wanted it. I think for the most part it rocks but if I am going to have a critical ear it is by far the worst sonic representation of Neils drums. I am pretty bummed how tinny and flat his drums sound, and they are buried in the mix. I wish Neil would go back to his rig from 1980/81. Pure sonic perfection. That Tama kit with his Slingerland snare is still to this day the best he has ever sounded. I have never been fond of his overall sonic sound since Vapor Trails. I am just not feeling the DW's like his past kits.

As far as Neil's performance. No doubt as far as official live CD's this his his best since Exit Sage Left. He was on fire in Cleveland. He was nailing everything, hitting hard and playing with great pace and passion. Not too fast (save for Marathon) not too slow.

Alex for the most part sounds great. I don't like how his Staccato pick-up cut through (or shoud I say lack of cutting through)on Presto. It sounds almost inaudible and lacks any detail or clarity on this recording. But he ripped it up for the most part. Sometimes his sound get's too thick and we miss out on the finer details of his great open chord work that he is so famous for.

Geddy's bass sounds fat on this recording and is a nice improvement from the muddled mess of Snakes and Arrows Live (best setlist they have had in 25 plus years mind you on that tour). Vocally Geddy for a 60 plus year old gent can still bring it. He is far past his live vocal prime (Permanent Wave/Moving Pictures/Signals Tours) but he can still sell it. I don't expect perferction vocally anymore. In fact I have not for a long time. But I do expect pitch and tone and he pretty much stay's in key and stays true to the vocal interpretation from the studio recordings for the most part. He still NAILS Freewill big time and I love it when he does. Pretty amazing feat for a guy as old as Geddy. Think about how many shows over the last 38 years they have played.

Simply amazing they are still killing it live and are as tight as they are after all these years. I am savoring every show and every tour as I know we are getting very close to the end of the road.

Overall the BD is a 8/10, the CD is a 6/10 and I have not dropped the needle down yet on MP live...but will this weekend with my Hi-Fi headphones and some brain medication

It does not rank high on live recordings for me...but I always appreciate the fact we are getting live CD's now of every tour since T4E.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Nov 9 2011, 03:58 PM)
I wish Neil would go back to his rig from 1980/81. Pure sonic perfection. That Tama kit with his Slingerland snare is still to this day the best he has ever sounded. I have never been fond of his overall sonic sound since Vapor Trails. I am just not feeling the DW's like his past kits.

I agree 100 %

As far as Neil's performance. No doubt as far as official live CD's this his his best since Exit Sage Left. He was on fire in Cleveland. He was nailing everything, hitting hard and playing with great pace and passion.

Except his "Brain Fart" in Presto

laugh.gif

Great Review 1022.gif

Edited by metaldad