last movie you watched

sonicjams

The Big Short

Fascinating movie...but also depressing.

Not so much sad depressing but depressing that it makes you very pissed off after watching how this all went down.

Kind of like the two evils election.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

While I was watching, I sat and wondered about how much of it might be being dramatized, the little details of the screenplay...but it seemed to be pretty much a straight factual account.

The Big Short

Not so much sad depressing but depressing that it makes you very pissed off after watching how this all went down.

While I was watching, I sat and wondered about how much of it might be being dramatized, the little details of the screenplay...but it seemed to be pretty much a straight factual account.

What is this film about?

• Like 1

The Martian. It was no Robinson Crusoe on Mars but it was an entertaining couple of hours. The sense of humor saved it from being boring.
  • Like 2

The Martian. It was no Robinson Crusoe on Mars but it was an entertaining couple of hours. The sense of humor saved it from being boring.

This has been on On Demand. I might try and catch it before it's yanked.

It's worth a watch. I wouldn't spend money to see it but it was decent. I liked all the science in it.

The Big Short

What is this film about?

It's the story of what happened on Wall Street in the United States during the mid-2000's, relative to the real estate bubble- the creation of mortgage-backed securities, and the fact that they had been filled with mostly high-risk, low-security subprime loans. Scion Capital was the name of an investment firm where one fund manager investigated a group of those securities, saw what they had in them, and therefore knew (along with a small handful of other investors) what was going to happen to the housing market 2-3 years before it happened.

That bust is largely what led to the financial crisis in the US that began in 2007-'08, and led to the demise of Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, and more.

The resulting losses totaled about $5 trillion dollars in goods and services, income, and retirement accounts. It just vanished.

Garbage. Didn't want to see it at all, and even then it was worse than I thought.

There were a lot of high pitched screeches throughout the movie too, very annoying. One of them was exceptionally loud and it actually felt like my ears were being damaged, so I yelled aloud (at a pretty fair volume) a good ol' F-bomb and no one got upset... Because the theater was completely empty and it was just my brother and I.

I get the feeling though that if there were others in the audience, they'd be vocalizing discomfort at that particular screech as well.

MV5BMTk2MTMwOTk3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDI5OTYxMDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Edited by Mr. Not

Garbage. Didn't want to see it at all, and even then it was worse than I thought.

There were a lot of high pitched screeches throughout the movie too, very annoying. One of them was exceptionally loud and it actually felt like my ears were being damaged, so I yelled aloud (at a pretty fair volume) a good ol' F-bomb and no one got upset... Because the theater was completely empty and it was just my brother and I.

I get the feeling though that if there were others in the audience, they'd be vocalizing discomfort at that particular screech as well.

MV5BMTk2MTMwOTk3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDI5OTYxMDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

So far only 12 reviews on Rottentomatoes but it's at 0% approval. Too much?

The Big Short

What is this film about?

It's the story of what happened on Wall Street in the United States during the mid-2000's, relative to the real estate bubble- the creation of mortgage-backed securities, and the fact that they had been filled with mostly high-risk, low-security subprime loans. Scion Capital was the name of an investment firm where one fund manager investigated a group of those securities, saw what they had in them, and therefore knew (along with a small handful of other investors) what was going to happen to the housing market 2-3 years before it happened.

That bust is largely what led to the financial crisis in the US that began in 2007-'08, and led to the demise of Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, and more.

The resulting losses totaled about $5 trillion dollars in goods and services, income, and retirement accounts. It just vanished.

This sounds like my kind of film...I will give it a go!

• Like 1

Two positive things I can say about this movie are:

-The special effects are decent, up to date

-There are some pretty shots ("that'd be a nice desktop background" sort of shots), mainly occurring during the first half of the movie

As for the rest, almost any general negative thing you could say about a movie, you can say about Max Steel. Continuity errors, terrible jokes, uninteresting and confusing plot (confusing not in a "this is too complex for me" sort of way, but in a "for what purpose? what is with this terrible writing?" sort of way), some character development for the MC but other than that for no one else, slow pacing, horrifyingly predictable cliches...

And it even fails to appeal to its target demographic: young teenage age range boys. There's hardly any action, and Max doesn't learn of his superpowers until we're over half way through the movie. The exposition is a boring trot in which nothing is really set up other than a lousy romantic interest and some core plot points, and then the rest of the movie is one big stupid nonsensical climax...

I can't say it's the worst movie I've ever seen, since I did after all sit through "Zombie Strippers"... But I can say that it's the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters.

Edited by Mr. Not

The Big Short

What is this film about?

Be forewarned, it is fairly loaded with foul language...even though I think it's unnecessary, I can take it- but I know that's a sticking point for you.

I thought it was excellent, though, regardless.

I thought The Big Short was amazing. A tough subject to make a script about, and I love how they dealt with the amount of information and explanation that had to be delivered so that the audience would understand what happened. The ending is scary too, and not in a Friday the 13th kind of way.
  • Like 1

I thought The Big Short was amazing. A tough subject to make a script about, and I love how they dealt with the amount of information and explanation that had to be delivered so that the audience would understand what happened. The ending is scary too, and not in a Friday the 13th kind of way.

Absolutely it is...I guess that's why I used the word depressing, because it happened here- and really did affect other parts of the world, too.

Two positive things I can say about this movie are:

-The special effects are decent, up to date

-There are some pretty shots ("that'd be a nice desktop background" sort of shots), mainly occurring during the first half of the movie

As for the rest, almost any general negative thing you could say about a movie, you can say about Max Steel. Continuity errors, terrible jokes, uninteresting and confusing plot (confusing not in a "this is too complex for me" sort of way, but in a "for what purpose? what is with this terrible writing?" sort of way), some character development for the MC but other than that for no one else, slow pacing, horrifyingly predictable cliches...

And it even fails to appeal to its target demographic: young teenage age range boys. There's hardly any action, and Max doesn't learn of his superpowers until we're over half way through the movie. The exposition is a boring trot in which nothing is really set up other than a lousy romantic interest and some core plot points, and then the rest of the movie is one big stupid nonsensical climax...

I can't say it's the worst movie I've ever seen, since I did after all sit through "Zombie Strippers"... But I can say that it's the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters.

I just saw the review on Midnight Screenings with Brad "Cinema Snob" Jones out of curiosity. It sounds pretty bad.

The Big Short

What is this film about?

Be forewarned, it is fairly loaded with foul language...even though I think it's unnecessary, I can take it- but I know that's a sticking point for you.

I thought it was excellent, though, regardless.

I barely made it through American Hustle...I will see how it goes...

"Mascots"

Just saw this on Netflix. My hopes were low, due to "For Your Consideration", but I was pleasantly surprised, and laughed more than once (more than twice, even). If you liked Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, then you shouldn't be disappointed.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

It's been a lot of years since I've watched these and I've never seen them all the way through. Not as bad as I thought or expected though I would like to drop Jar Jar Binks from a very high cliff.

• Like 1

Brooklyn- for the third time . . . It definitely falls into the "chick flick" category, but it is a well done movie for anyone that has ever moved from one place to another. Saoirse Ronan is excellent in this.
  • Like 1

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

It's been a lot of years since I've watched these and I've never seen them all the way through. Not as bad as I thought or expected though I would like to drop Jar Jar Binks from a very high cliff.

My least favorite of them. I actually fell asleep on opening day when it came out for a few minutes. It's that bad and the marathon I did on Rifftrax before FA came out last year confirms I was right.

That Dooku and Yoda fight was awesome though.

220px-Along_came_a_spider_poster.jpg

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1