last movie you watched

sonicjams

Dead Man Walking. I had never seen it before and it was even more intense than I realized. Sean Penn was excellent and I think he should have won an Oscar for this role (he was nominated.). Of course I was watching it at one in the morning and then couldn't get to sleep afterward!

Beating out Cage in Leaving Las Vegas? Yeah, I’d go with that.

Penn’s got some quality movies & performances spread out over the years. Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are other very good ones to catch if you haven’t already.

In the DVD commentary for Mystic River, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins are talking about how intense Penn was in one scene in particular (the one where he’s being held down by police). Robbins, an an Academy award winner himself for that film, said he thought Penn was going to have a heart attack (or something similar) due to his intensity in that scene. Bacon laughed, agreed, and said something like, “Oh god yeah for sure. He really brought it.”

I loved Milk; Penn was so good in that! I'll have to check out the other two. Hopefully not at one am!

Dead Man Walking. I had never seen it before and it was even more intense than I realized. Sean Penn was excellent and I think he should have won an Oscar for this role (he was nominated.). Of course I was watching it at one in the morning and then couldn't get to sleep afterward!

Penn’s got some quality movies & performances spread out over the years. Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are other very good ones to catch if you haven’t already.

In the DVD commentary for Mystic River, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins are talking about how intense Penn was in one scene in particular (the one where he’s being held down by police). Robbins, an an Academy award winner himself for that film, said he thought Penn was going to have a heart attack (or something similar) due to his intensity in that scene. Bacon laughed, agreed, and said something like, “Oh god yeah for sure. He really brought it.”

I loved Milk; Penn was so good in that! I'll have to check out the other two. Hopefully not at one am!

DMW, Carlito’s Way, Mystic River, and Milk are all “A” or “A+” movies for me.

Then there’s his early stuff like Taps and Bad Boys (not the Will Smith nonsense) that are good too.

• Like 1

Sometimes expectations can spoil a film, but in the case of The Wailing, I think my disappointment is justified ..

What could have been . . . . a beautifull shot, sometimes incredible let down ... Comedic overtones, ritualistic murders and the devil himself don;t mix ..

large_z3EBP9HJbVKAKrf1kAZx6yIYme9.jpg

Aw man, sorry you didn't like that one. I loved it.

I will watch it again Storm .. I wouldn't say that I disliked it, but I was disappointed overall ..

.. and I didn't mean that the letdown was incredible .. I meant that it was the film was, at times, incredibly good .. Some of the camera work was outstanding ..

But ... for example:

the scene in which the tonic/herb salesman gets hit by lightning - the dark humor just didn't fit for me

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Sometimes expectations can spoil a film, but in the case of The Wailing, I think my disappointment is justified ..

What could have been . . . . a beautifull shot, sometimes incredible let down ... Comedic overtones, ritualistic murders and the devil himself don;t mix ..

large_z3EBP9HJbVKAKrf1kAZx6yIYme9.jpgp

Aw man, sorry you didn't like that one. I loved it.

I will watch it again Storm .. I wouldn't say that I disliked it, but I was disappointed overall ..

.. and I didn't mean that the letdown was incredible .. I meant that it was the film was, at times, incredibly good .. Some of the camera work was outstanding ..

But ... for example:

the scene in which the tonic/herb salesman gets hit by lightning - the dark humor just didn't fit for me

I can see that. There is quite the tonal shift in this movie. :LOL: I usually like that for some reason.

• Like 1

Then there’s his early stuff like Taps and Bad Boys (not the Will Smith nonsense) that are good too.

Falcon And The Snowman, Casualties Of War and At Close Range are other good early ones of his. Wish MJ Fox did more drama because he was good in that rare serious role in Casualties.

220px-War_Dogs_2016_poster.jpg

• Like 2

Falcon And The Snowman, Casualties Of War and At Close Range are other good early ones of his. Wish MJ Fox did more drama because he was good in that rare serious role in Casualties.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/52/War_Dogs_2016_poster.jpg/220px-War_Dogs_2016_poster.jpg

I missed Falcon and the Snowman and At Close Range.

I saw Casualties of War but didn’t like it too much. I didn’t think Fox or Penn were good for those roles, I’m not saying they were bad though

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/52/War_Dogs_2016_poster.jpg/220px-War_Dogs_2016_poster.jpg

I missed Falcon and the Snowman and At Close Range.

I saw Casualties of War but didn’t like it too much. I didn’t think Fox or Penn were good for those roles, I’m not saying they were bad though

At Close Range is very dark and disturbing but it's because Sean Penn is again, really good in it. I had seen that one so long ago I had forgotten about it. I remember liking his acting in The Falcon and The Snowman, but I also remember feeling like the writing didn't hold up or something; again so long ago I can't remember the exact details. I'll have to try to see that one again.

• Like 1

The title is very appropriate. Immensely dramatic, intense, saddening, and hostile. Great scenery and great performances - especially by Rosamund Pike. A bit slow-paced in some spots, and a bit predictable in others, but overall, I give it a solid Upvote. :ebert:

Only for audiences who don't mind having their emotions bludgeoned. :o

ufURhym.jpg

• Like 1

Gotham By Gaslight, a really good "what if?" Batman story with a super-cool twist.

1960 French masterpiece Eyes Without A Face ... A case could be made for 1960 being the greatest year ever for horror films

260_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

- Eyes Without A Face

- Psycho

- Peeping Tom

- The Housemaid

- Black Sunday

- Jigoku

- The Virgin Spring

These films ushered in the era of modern horror

• Like 1

Still one of the best superhero films ever made. :haz:

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Iron-Man-Int-l-Movie-Poster-iron-man-858765_448_672.jpg

And I don't care about the bad press that she gets. Gwyneth Paltrow is so smoking hot in this film..... :drool:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Still one of the best superhero films ever made. :haz:

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Iron-Man-Int-l-Movie-Poster-iron-man-858765_448_672.jpg

And I don't care about the bad press that she gets. Gwyneth Paltrow is so smoking hot in this film..... :drool:

Yup, it is!

And yeah, she is!

Upgraded my Blu-ray player from a mediocre Samsung (with a remote better suited for Hobbit hands) to a far superior Sony (with a real remote).

..... so I just had to watch Interstellar again. :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

Only The Brave.

Everyone should see it.

Every once in a while, a independent little horror film comes along and knocks it outta the park

It Follows is outstanding and the cast is perfect ... Great movie

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GwWQ_KHq59A/VRihoO2oWGI/AAAAAAAARYc/732CID9qHVE/s1600/it%2Bfollows.jpg

• Like 3

Every once in a while, a independent little horror film comes along and knocks it outta the park

It Follows is outstanding and the cast is perfect ... Great movie

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GwWQ_KHq59A/VRihoO2oWGI/AAAAAAAARYc/732CID9qHVE/s1600/it%2Bfollows.jpg

I found it slow, boring and overrated.

But better than Get Out.