last movie you watched

sonicjams

http://www.moviepostermem.com/images/products/597cbd6c-5ec6-47e9-b66d-b33de180b4b4.jpg

I first saw Body Double back in the mid 80s one late night .. I had watched it a few times over the years on VHS that I had taped from Cinemax, and I watched it tonight on blu ray .. The first time I've seen it since replacing the VCR with the DVD player 20 years ago ..

I still love this film, probably even more now .... It is trashy, not trash, and Brian DePalma is a filmmaker with chops way too good to be making a film like this - which makes it all the better ..

In true DePalma tradition, there is a 15 minute sequence in the middle of the film with very little dialog and some absolutely gripping suspense and amazing camera work ...

And just when you think you can exhale and reset yourself, DePalma throws in Frankie Goes To Hollywood ..

A film that borders, and even crosses over to the ridiculous and it is does with such style, the over the top element only serves to make it better ..

• Like 3

http://www.moviepostermem.com/images/products/597cbd6c-5ec6-47e9-b66d-b33de180b4b4.jpg

I first saw Body Double back in the mid 80s one late night .. I had watched it a few times over the years on VHS that I had taped from Cinemax, and I watched it tonight on blu ray .. The first time I've seen it since replacing the VCR with the DVD player 20 years ago ..

I still love this film, probably even more now .... It is trashy, not trash, and Brian DePalma is a filmmaker with chops way too good to be making a film like this - which makes it all the better ..

In true DePalma tradition, there is a 15 minute sequence in the middle of the film with very little dialog and some absolutely gripping suspense and amazing camera work ...

And just when you think you can exhale and reset yourself, DePalma throws in Frankie Goes To Hollywood ..

A film that borders, and even crosses over to the ridiculous and it is does with such style, the over the top element only serves to make it better ..

Funny how you mentioned taping it. My first viewing was a decade ago when I taped it off the Showtime version of Cinemax, The Movie Channel. Great spot on review. One of my favorite twist endings ever in any movie.

• Like 1

Funny how you mentioned taping it. My first viewing was a decade ago when I taped it off the Showtime version of Cinemax, The Movie Channel. Great spot on review. One of my favorite twist endings ever in any movie.

It's one of those movies that just seemed to be impossible to find on DVD ... or video, from what I remember ..

I still have my Cinemax'd VHS copy of it from 1985 - with the white label and my handwriting in pen trying to make it look official :LOL:

More on Too Funny To Fail:

Some shows are just too odd to be appreciated in their time. That’s a good chunk of the case the loving documentary “Too Funny to Fail,” about the 1996 sketch series “The Dana Carvey Show,” lays out, through interviews and impressively amassed archival footage. For a show in which a faux Bill Clinton nurses puppies and kittens from a gruesome teat-covered prosthetic, the question is not, how did it get canceled? It’s, how did it ever make it to ABC in the first place?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/arts/television/too-funny-to-fail-dana-carvey-show-review-hulu.html

what fantastic bad taste :LOL:

:yes:

They do this bit, "Grandma the Clown", which is both excruciating and hilarious.

• Like 1

Just finished it, pretty good.

• Like 1

Bushwick. It was all right. Dave Bautista's performance is really good.

2 hours of Keanu kicking ass. And I liked it.

0c9d40b4e8e24f04ca05c4745c9297ed.jpg

I thought the action sequences were pretty amazing. It was like watching a live video game.

I just watched this movie for the first time. I loved it. I found it so intentionally over the top and as a result it's incredibly entertaining. Good stuff.

• Like 2

I just watched this movie for the first time. I loved it. I found it so intentionally over the top and as a result it's incredibly entertaining. Good stuff.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/104528-the-odd-triple-3-movies-released-on-october-26-1984/

• Like 1

http://cdn2-www.superherohype.com/assets/uploads/gallery/thor-ragnarok-gallery-2/diav_qkuaaampzw.jpg

A bit disappointed by this. I can't blame it on hype either as there is no hype for this movie where I am.

The bad:

Too much comedy, too many guns (GUNS?!!! WTF?!!), and some really off characterizations in Grandmaster, Valkyrie, and Executioner. Those three characters' outward appearances from comic to screen are one thing but their personalities were so off that they're unrecognizable. What the hell was Goldblum doing?!! Who wrote his lines?! Awful!!

The good:

Hulk carrying on conversations like an angry little child and referring to himself in the third person are reminiscent of the classic 60s-70s comic Hulk. Also, there are some pretty decent action scenes but some of them could've been extended (Hulk/Thor gladiator scene for one).

It's still better than Thor 2 but not as enjoyable as Thor 1.

• Like 1

Adore this film. One of my fav's from the 80's. So trashy in a great way. And yes the entire sequence of following the vixen he had been watching in the window (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not seen this film) across Beverly Hills, and the mall etc. Classic Depalma.

• Like 1

220px-More_American_Graffiti_1979.jpg

Loved the Original, did not like the sequel.