last movie you watched

sonicjams

Beauty & The Beast.

Segue, where are you? I watched it mainly because we were talking about Disney animation last week and you mentioned this as your all-time favorite. Well, if I had to compare, I'd say it's not as good as Lion King or Fantasia but better than Entangled and Frozen. Also, there were no annoying characters in this like Frozen's snowman. The best animated sequences I thought were the moments when Beast was going into one of his rages. Good bastard of a villain too...literally backstabbing Beast when that character showed mercy and saved his unworthy life. That's great stuff for building viewers' hate for a villain!

Grade: B+

I'm so glad!

This film is marvellous...it also improves with every viewing. The morals and the character motivations are complex and heavy, even by adult cinema standards, and they reveal themselves more and more.

Idiots call this a Stockholm Syndrome romance. No way. Not even slightly.

It never would've occurred to me to think of Belle and Stockholm Syndrome. Ah well.

The most surprising thing to me is Robby Benson doing the voice of Beast. Keep in mind that I knew him from 70s dramatic films when he was portraying teens in crisis. Hard to think of him in this fantasy role. But yeah, he did great in those and this.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Beauty & The Beast.

Segue, where are you? I watched it mainly because we were talking about Disney animation last week and you mentioned this as your all-time favorite. Well, if I had to compare, I'd say it's not as good as Lion King or Fantasia but better than Entangled and Frozen. Also, there were no annoying characters in this like Frozen's snowman. The best animated sequences I thought were the moments when Beast was going into one of his rages. Good bastard of a villain too...literally backstabbing Beast when that character showed mercy and saved his unworthy life. That's great stuff for building viewers' hate for a villain!

I'm so glad!

This film is marvellous...it also improves with every viewing. The morals and the character motivations are complex and heavy, even by adult cinema standards, and they reveal themselves more and more.

It never would've occurred to me to think of Belle and Stockholm Syndrome. Ah well.

The most surprising thing to me is Robby Benson doing the voice of Beast. Keep in mind that I knew him from 70s dramatic films when he was portraying teens in crisis. Hard to think of him in this fantasy role. But yeah, he did great in those and this.

Robby was seen as a controversial choice at the time...and then the film came out...one of the best voice over's ever.

Beauty & The Beast.

I'm so glad!

Robby was seen as a controversial choice at the time...and then the film came out...one of the best voice over's ever.

Don't remember that controversy but I understand where it was coming from. He nailed it though that's for sure.

My all time favourite Disney film is a three way tie:

Beauty And The Beast

The Lion King

Pocahontas

Seriously all three of these mean a lot to me. Pocahontas is almost entirely a mature, adult effort. A few cute animals aside, the ending especially divides opinion. Marvellous, artistic and historically laughable, it all comes together to create a surprisingly tense drama.

And that ending...

I saw BATB when it came out but wasn't very impressed. It didn't really keep my interest. Not sure why but it never struck me as that good. Aladdin is another one that bored me, even with Robin Williams as the genie, though that was the best part. I haven't seen Pocahontas.

Edited by EagleMoon

Beauty & The Beast.

I'm so glad!

Don't remember that controversy but I understand where it was coming from. He nailed it though that's for sure.

I remember a bit of that controversy but when The Lion King came out here in the US there was controversy over that also. Supposedly-- Mufasa's murder was supposed to be very traumatic for young children, Nala was anti feminist because didn't have enough strength in her role, and the hyenas symbolized an African American gang because they had very dark fur and spoke in slang. :doh:

I dunno. My kids were young at the time. The 7 yr old and 5 yr old liked it because of the songs but liked Jurassic Park better, and the 1 yr old had figured out that if she yelled she would get candy in the lobby so that became her movie response for a few months, yuck.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Beauty And The Beast

The Lion King

Pocahontas

Seriously all three of these mean a lot to me. Pocahontas is almost entirely a mature, adult effort. A few cute animals aside, the ending especially divides opinion. Marvellous, artistic and historically laughable, it all comes together to create a surprisingly tense drama.

And that ending...

I saw BATB when it came out but wasn't very impressed. It didn't really keep my interest. Not sure why but it never struck me as that good. Aladdin is another one that bored me, even with Robin Williams as the genie, though that was the best part. I haven't seen Pocahontas.

At least you appreciate Lion King!

I often regard it as my favourite movie ever. I know Schindlers List is my favourite movie...but come on let's face it that's not exactly fun, or a film I watch frequently. Gone With The Wind is the other contender.

But then we have The Lion King. No other film matches it.

But I feel that way about BATB and Pocahontas as well.

• Like 1

Beauty And The Beast

The Lion King

Pocahontas

And that ending...

I often regard it as my favourite movie ever. I know Schindlers List is my favourite movie...but come on let's face it that's not exactly fun, or a film I watch frequently. Gone With The Wind is the other contender.

And at least we both love Miyazaki. :)

Alice_Through_the_Looking_Glass_(film)_poster.jpg

Visually stunning, but like a ot of movies these days, absolute tedium when it comes to story line and dialogue. I literally had to shake myself awake throughout the final90 minutes.

I agree. Amazing to look at but booooorrrringgg....

I was stunned at how dull it was. The Red Queen was amazing, of course, and Cohen did a good job as Time. But man...dull as dull can be.
  • Like 1

Beauty And The Beast

The Lion King

Pocahontas

And that ending...

Definitely! It's been a while since I've sat and seen a film of his...I've had Howls Moving Castle on my mind the last few days...

• Like 1

Beauty And The Beast

The Lion King

Pocahontas

And that ending...

Definitely! It's been a while since I've sat and seen a film of his...I've had Howls Moving Castle on my mind the last few days...

Love Billy Crystal as Calcifer in that.

• Like 1

Beauty And The Beast

The Lion King

Pocahontas

And that ending...

Love Billy Crystal as Calcifer in that.

Agreed! My favourite English dub of all the Miyazaki movies!

• Like 1

Men In Black.

No matter how many times I see it, I laugh out loud so many times during this movie. It's kind of like Galaxy Quest or The Fifth Element, I can watch it over and over again and still love it.

• Like 3

Men In Black.

No matter how many times I see it, I laugh out loud so many times during this movie. It's kind of like Galaxy Quest or The Fifth Element, I can watch it over and over again and still love it.

I LOVE IT TOO!

Third one was very clever, even though i domt think antone asked for it. Second one...no...no...no...no...

• Like 2

Men In Black.

I LOVE IT TOO!

Third one was very clever, even though i domt think antone asked for it. Second one...no...no...no...no...

Yeah I agree totally. Second one really was poor. Third one was good but not as good as the first.

• Like 1

Men In Black.

I LOVE IT TOO!

Yeah I agree totally. Second one really was poor. Third one was good but not as good as the first.

I agree about the third one...but wasn't it a great surprise to see they worked really hard on it? I thought the third one was a great time travel movie, with great acting and stunning effects. I think Will Smith has lost some spark but otherwise, it made it so much easier to forget the second!

Edited by Segue Myles

Men In Black.

I LOVE IT TOO!

I agree about the third one...but wasn't it a great surprise to see they worked really hard on it? I thought the third one was a great time travel movie, with great acting and stunning effects. I think Will Smith has lost some spark but otherwise, it made it so much easier to forget the second!

Yeah I thought it was really clever. The parts where he had to jump off the building to do the time traveling was funny in particular.