What was the fix for Presto on DVD/CD

jonboy71

QUOTE (garyg7133 @ Nov 9 2011, 01:28 PM)
The radio city botch job is great too, I think the all-time best though was TSOR . I forget where it took place but NP was off in la-la land and kept the beat going during the 2 pauses in the beginning of the song. Priceless.

Ah, yes...another one I gave you smile.gif That was in 2004. I believe it was Manchester. Coming out of r30 Medley into Spirit. Classic.

QUOTE (32Ford @ Nov 9 2011, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (garyg7133 @ Nov 9 2011, 01:28 PM)
The radio city botch job is great too, I think the all-time best though was TSOR . I forget where it took place but NP was off in la-la land and kept the beat going during the 2 pauses in the beginning of the song. Priceless.

Ah, yes...another one I gave you smile.gif That was in 2004. I believe it was Manchester. Coming out of r30 Medley into Spirit. Classic.

And then, same song in El Paso this year...Geddy sang the first two lines of the second verse when he should have been singing the first. He gets to the end of the verse, says "oops!" then says "Now!" right before the second. Now, whenever I hear the song, I always add the "oops" and the "now" cool.gif GeddyFinal.gif heart.gif

Check it out at 6:30:

If you listen to the original song and compare....they just went to the wrong part after the verse instead of the solo. They realized it, played through it and went back to the solo and kept going in the original order. Train wreck avoided. They may have had some help in the in-ear monitoring of where to go.

Do you remember in the Show of Hands video when Alex switched out his guitar at the end of Overture and Geddy had to wait for him (which seemed like forever) in order to sing..."and the meek shall inherit the earth". Geddy gave him a wtf look and Alex smiled back.

QUOTE (graptemys @ Nov 11 2011, 10:48 AM)
It appears like they were suppose to go the guitar solo after that verse and instead jumped to the transposed verse. Then they went back to the solo and repeated the transposed verse for a second time.

No...thats on purpose, they rearranged it like that for the tour. Its right before going into the solo...seriously guys lol

I know it's expensive.....but this is why they should film/record more than just one city. They don't need to make it a massive production.

I just got the dvd yesterday. I will watch it sometime soon to see the Presto 'fix' as well as the overall performance.

I've read lots of bitching about Geddy's vocals and the mix being horrible.. I don't have a 5.1 surround system. Just stereo L&R.

I'm sure it's going to be pretty good.

bacon.gif

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Nov 12 2011, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (graptemys @ Nov 11 2011, 10:48 AM)
It appears like they were suppose to go the guitar solo after that verse and instead jumped to the transposed verse. Then they went back to the solo and repeated the transposed verse for a second time.

No...thats on purpose, they rearranged it like that for the tour. Its right before going into the solo...seriously guys lol

yes.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 3 2011, 02:47 PM)
There was a bit of a trainwreck on the performance. Neil missed a cue or something. So they borrowed a piece of music from an earlier part of the song and inserted it over the trainwreck. In the finished edit, you'd never know there was anything done unless you were at that show and remember the miscue.

I was looking for the trainwreck and didn't notice anything, they did a good job editing it smile.gif

Being in a gigging band (a cover band and obviously we are no where near their level), I can say there are always tons of mistakes at our gigs. 99.9% of the people there wouldnt know the difference. But it does illustrate the "perfection-mania" us Rush fans have.

QUOTE (jacklifeson @ Mar 27 2012, 07:16 AM)
Being in a gigging band (a cover band and obviously we are no where near their level), I can say there are always tons of mistakes at our gigs. 99.9% of the people there wouldnt know the difference. But it does illustrate the "perfection-mania" us Rush fans have.

It's because they've set such a high standard.

I love led zeppelin to bits, but I have a real hard time listening to live recordings of them because, a lot of the time, they sounded pretty crappy. Nothing against loose improvisation.

Point is, that if Rush put on one performance like zeppelin, we would tear them to bits. Most of these gaffes that Rush pulled occasionally, were and are, standard practice for a lot of bands.