Major labels: NO MORE CDs after 2012

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 1 2011, 07:48 PM)
Let's see....iTunes sells CDs for pretty much the same price as CDs, you don't get a physical copy and you can't download it again so you're pretty screwed if your computer fails.

If the music isn't free, I had better get my CD.

Actually, if you contact iTunes support, you can have all your downloads restored to your account for extra charge just in case of a hard drive failure or other corruption of the files. I've done it twice and got my purchased songs back within 24 hours.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 1 2011, 08:40 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 1 2011, 07:48 PM)
Let's see....iTunes sells CDs for pretty much the same price as CDs, you don't get a physical copy and you can't download it again so you're pretty screwed if your computer fails.

If the music isn't free, I had better get my CD.

Actually, if you contact iTunes support, you can have all your downloads restored to your account for extra charge just in case of a hard drive failure or other corruption of the files. I've done it twice and got my purchased songs back within 24 hours.

Couldn't be more false. Maybe that's the way they used to do it, but they've been on the unlimited download model for some time now.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 07:54 PM)
I suppose you'll be campaigning for invisible instruments next and invisible bands. I mean come on we don't want a physical band do we? Because the future of music is not physical!

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

"Physical Graffiti" Media.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 09:42 PM)
I suppose you'll be campaigning for invisible instruments next and invisible bands. I mean come on we don't want a physical band do we? Because the future of music is not physical!

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

Oh but that is only for now, progress knows no boundaries. Why stop at physical media? You can't let yourself get stuck on physical form Danny. That's just being stubborn and foolish! And I really don't think you want to be like that as you've shown.

Pretty soon once we reach the technological singularity we'll all become merged with machines anyway, we won't be able to tell which are the tech-enhanced humans and which are the organic machines!

And you, you're ahead of your time, way ahead of us CD freaks. You're a little techie wizard Danny aren't you? Yes, and I see big things for you! I see you living right inside your Ipod along with your mps, that way you won't have to plug a cumbersome wire into your ear. You can cut out the middle man altogether. You'll be right there where you want to be! And you won't have to eat, sleep, wipe your arse after a dump! You'll be free boyo, free as an mp3!

Yes I think you'll be much happier without your physical form Danny baby, much, much happier and we'll be much happier about it too! You dig?

tongue.gif

See you in the next world!

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 08:39 PM)

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

Oh but that is only for now, progress knows no boundaries. Why stop at physical media? You can't let yourself get stuck on physical form Danny. That's just being stubborn and foolish! And I really don't think you want to be like that as you've shown.

Pretty soon once we reach the technological singularity we'll all become merged with machines anyway, we won't be able to tell which are the tech-enhanced humans and which are the organic machines!

And you, you're ahead of your time, way ahead of us CD freaks. You're a little techie wizard Danny aren't you? Yes, and I see big things for you! I see you living right inside your Ipod along with your mps, that way you won't have to plug a cumbersome wire into your ear. You can cut out the middle man altogether. You'll be right there where you want to be! And you won't have to eat, sleep, wipe your arse after a dump! You'll be free boyo, free as an mp3!

Yes I think you'll be much happier without your physical form Danny baby, much, much happier and we'll be much happier about it too! You dig?

tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif

One of your greatest posts of all time Duck.

"The Terminator" is coming for us all!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 1 2011, 10:48 PM)

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 09:39 PM)

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif

And here I thought we were having a civilized conversation.

How silly of me.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 09:39 PM)

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif

And here I thought we were having a civilized conversation.

How silly of me.

Don't fight it Danny, you can be joined with your mp3s!

laugh.gif common001.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 1 2011, 09:48 PM)

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif

Really.

Have I said something insulting to anyone? Something that deserved that? Could you point it out for me, please?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 08:58 PM)

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif

Really.

Have I said something insulting to anyone? Something that deserved that? Could you point it out for me, please?

Hey Dan!

You have said nothing insulting at all! No worries. Pat is just playing around.

I am rarely serious and civilized on this forum as well.

I dig this forum for mostly entertainment value.

You are a good guy!

It is what it is.

I'm 43 and I will NEVER download music. I will never listen to an iPod.

Hell whenever I go on a trip I still bring a cd storage case for the car stereo.

When I have to get on a plane I still bring my CD Walkman!

My wife thinks I am crazy!

I will never conform!!

To each their own. At the end of the day as long as we can all enjoy our music, it doesn't matter how it is played!!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 1 2011, 10:18 PM)

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif

Really.

Hey Dan!

You are a good guy!

It is what it is.

Hell whenever I go on a trip I still bring a cd storage case for the car stereo.

I will never conform!!

To each their own. At the end of the day as long as we can all enjoy our music, it doesn't matter how it is played!!!

trink39.gif

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I've not been having the best of days and I don't know everyone's personality quite perfectly so I took it at face value.

2.gif on smile.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 1 2011, 10:18 PM)

tongue.gif

Media. Physical media.

tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif

Really.

Hey Dan!

You are a good guy!

It is what it is.

I will never conform!!

trink39.gif

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I've not been having the best of days and I don't know everyone's personality quite perfectly so I took it at face value.

2.gif on smile.gif

Right on dude! We all have bad days!! Life is too short! It takes some time to get to know some of us. Hell I should be easy to figure out.

I actually love "Face Value."

Love,

Phil Collins laugh.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 1 2011, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 1 2011, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 31 2011, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 31 2011, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 31 2011, 07:51 PM)
...I have bought about 10 CDs in the last 5 years and probably downloaded 10,000 songs in the same time...

I wish I had $10K to spend on music...

wink.gif

right - I know you didn't pay for most/all of it

that's another 'problem' I have with the state of music

question: how much of your work/creativity would you be willing to give away for free every week?

You assume that these weren't paid for over the years in the form of vinyl, cassette, CD and were being replaced due to loss or wear. I have no shame for refusing to re-purchase something I've already paid for. You have no imagination.

so

if my Honda gets stolen, or I finally wear it out after 400K miles, I should feel confident in going right on ahead and 'taking' another one

got it

are you being obtuse on purpose or on accident?

There is no additional cost to anyone in the music industry if I download music I already purchased.

They are no worse off. I am the only one worse off since my cassettes were ruined years ago because that technology sucked. Not the same case with a f*****g car man.

until I read your profile, I was going to safely assume you might just be too young to have an educated perspective about this subject

I'm sorry if my car analogy doesn't work for you - let's try this one on:

would you list for me any item that you've purchased that has been replaced perpetually, for free, from the retailer or manufacturer, whenever you've worn them out or lost them

pants?

computers?

spatulas?

books?

pens?

guitars?

goodpost.gif

A problem with the analogies is that music is given away free via radio. So the industry as created a unique sense of entitlement among the customer base. The perception may be, "If I can get it free via the airwaves, what's the problem with me getting it free from a download?"

I can understand the point of view.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 10:20 PM)
...I have bought about 10 CDs in the last 5 years and probably downloaded 10,000 songs in the same time...

wink.gif

question: how much of your work/creativity would you be willing to give away for free every week?

You assume that these weren't paid for over the years in the form of vinyl, cassette, CD and were being replaced due to loss or wear. I have no shame for refusing to re-purchase something I've already paid for. You have no imagination.

so

if my Honda gets stolen, or I finally wear it out after 400K miles, I should feel confident in going right on ahead and 'taking' another one

got it

There is no additional cost to anyone in the music industry if I download music I already purchased.

They are no worse off. I am the only one worse off since my cassettes were ruined years ago because that technology sucked. Not the same case with a f*****g car man.

until I read your profile, I was going to safely assume you might just be too young to have an educated perspective about this subject

would you list for me any item that you've purchased that has been replaced perpetually, for free, from the retailer or manufacturer, whenever you've worn them out or lost them

pants?

computers?

spatulas?

books?

pens?

guitars?

Your analogy does not work. Any experience in business? Doesn;t sound like it. those items all have additional costs associated with them that are paid by the manufacturer. Reacquiring music has no additional cost to any of the parties. They are not out any money. They were paid their money and I have my music. It's actually pretty simple to follow if you try instead of stubbornly sticking to a preconceived notion that it is "wrong" to download. BTW, age has nothing to do with this either.

I still contend that vinyl has an overall better sound than CDs. I can take any Pink Floyd album and point to the better quality on the vinyls.

In this case, bigger is better.

I used to like a physical product, having a reader started to change that. The clutter of it all starts to realy pile up after many years. I still buy music on a CD but that is changing also. I, too will not buy MP3, my ears and value deserve better, but more people are releasing their music in lossless formats such s flac. I still own many DVDs but they are becoming dinosaurs also. Most of them now are on a NAS drive, and I have no use for the physical disc. I still buy a blu-ray now and then.

I was recently looking at a new lap top, an option on it was foregoing an optical drive for an additional HDD or SSD.

The optical disc is going the way of floppies, vinyl, and magnetic tape. the only savior of optical would be very large capacity that had true archival properties.

Edited by burgeranacoke

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 1 2011, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 1 2011, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 07:20 PM)

wink.gif

so

got it

pants?

computers?

spatulas?

books?

pens?

guitars?

goodpost.gif

A problem with the analogies is that music is given away free via radio. So the industry as created a unique sense of entitlement among the customer base. The perception may be, "If I can get it free via the airwaves, what's the problem with me getting it free from a download?"

I can understand the point of view.

a few problems right back at you

99% of the music I listen to has never been broadcast on the radio

and I've never mistaken radio as 'my right to all music for free, forever' - I can't imagine who could

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 2 2011, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 10:20 PM)

wink.gif

so

got it

pants?

computers?

spatulas?

books?

pens?

guitars?

Your analogy does not work. Any experience in business? Doesn;t sound like it. those items all have additional costs associated with them that are paid by the manufacturer. Reacquiring music has no additional cost to any of the parties. They are not out any money. They were paid their money and I have my music. It's actually pretty simple to follow if you try instead of stubbornly sticking to a preconceived notion that it is "wrong" to download. BTW, age has nothing to do with this either.

there's no appreciable cost to providing downloads of computer operating systems or Adobe Photoshop either, but neither of those are endlessly available to you for free due to 'loss or wear'

point/counterpoint with my analogies all you like

and just so I understand - you are claiming that you had previously purchased, in various other formats, every one of the 10,000 songs you downloaded from 2007 to 2011 - yes?

interesting. I just hope that they distribute in lossless -- no way in hell am i paying money for lossy audio. I don't particularly care about packaging, just about the only reason i buy CDs any more is if i can't find a good download online. After ripping CDs they end up either lost in a pile of crap on my desk, or in the car. The CD medium is outdated, but up to this point, progress in audio technology has always resulted in increased sound quality...i hope the switch to digital doesn't result in a decline.

interesting. I just hope that they distribute in lossless -- no way in hell am i paying money for lossy audio. I don't particularly care about packaging, just about the only reason i buy CDs any more is if i can't find a good download online. After ripping CDs they end up either lost in a pile of crap on my desk, or in the car. The CD medium is outdated, but up to this point, progress in audio technology has always resulted in increased sound quality...i hope the switch to digital doesn't result in a decline.

dude