RUSH Sector CD Box Sets 1,2,3

robertrobyn

It looks really good. My question is are the 5.1 CDs only 5.1 or is there a version that I can listen to in the car or other stereo equipment? It is nice looking packaging, but there are too many other questions. Are they remastered or just the same as the 1997 versions? The liner notes and lyrics are unreadable on the Caress Of Steel CD, did they fix problems like this? I could rant on for a long time about what Mercury should do with the back catalog, but the first thing they should do is perhaps research what fans might actually be willing to buy.

The set was reviewed today at Digital Bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents).

Also on the music front today, Universal Music has announced something that should make you Rush fans very happy - they're releasing a trio of Sectors CD box sets on 11/21 - including 5 remastered albums each - from Rush's 15-album Mercury catalog. Each volume ($45.09 a piece on Amazon) will also include a booklet with album lyrics, unpublished photos and more, plus a DVD version of one of the albums in the set with high-resolution 96/kHz/24-bit audio. [Editor's Note: For those of you who (like me) want the ENTIRE set - all 15 albums - in 96/24 lossless instead of 44.1/16 CD quality, I'm told by Universal Music that they will all be available for download on the HDTracks.com store for about $17.98 an album.] Sector 1 will include Rush (1974), Fly by Night (1975), Caress of Steel (1975), 2112 (1976) and All the World's a Stage (1976), plus a Fly by Night DVD. Sector 2 will include A Farewell to Kings (1977), Hemispheres (1978), Permanent Waves (1980), Moving Pictures (1981) and Exit... Stage Left (1981), plus a DVD of A Farewell to Kings. And Sector 3 will include Signals (1982), Grace Under Pressure (1984), Power Windows (1985), Hold Your Fire (1987) and A Show of Hands (1988), as well as a DVD of Signals. Here's a look at the sets (note that the Amazon link takes you to the pre-order page for Sector 1 - the other 2 sets are linked from there)...

No mention of 5.1. Odd. Amazon mentions it in their link, so you'd figure the review would make some mention of it.

Another cash grab from Mercury . If they would have done this years ago and not had re-released/re-mastered everything before, it would be worth it

Personally, I wish they'd just put the contents of these "books" into one and sell IT separately....how many copies of these albums do I need?

Vinyl

Cassette

(8 track for the first three)

CD

Remastered CD?

99% of our ears aren't going to be able to discern any of the subtle differences in the mix!!

I'm not paying for this stuff AGAIN!

Edited by Jaminbenb

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Oct 20 2011, 09:18 AM)
[Editor's Note: For those of you who (like me) want the ENTIRE set - all 15 albums - in 96/24 lossless instead of 44.1/16 CD quality, I'm told by Universal Music that they will all be available for download on the HDTracks.com store for about $17.98 an album.]

$17.98 per album to get the 96/24 lossless versions?!? BEEP that.

Rush.com states only ONE album of the five in each will be 5.1 DVD-Audio. wtf.gif We get Fly By Night, Signals, and A Farewell To Kings in surround, the rest are nothing but another remaster, as if we needed that. No matter how cool they make the packaging, how many copies of 2112 do I need? Maybe if they give it to me for 50% off if I trade in my 15 CDs..... Like that would ever happen. Please Rush, stop the insanity! Give us something we actually need and release the 14 albums on blu-ray surround like Moving Pictures. At the very least release the 3 DVD-Audio discs separately (but where is my 2112 surround!!)

There loss, not buying them, again. $50.00 + and only get 1 disc, BS. If they released them in 5.1 in a huge deluxe package, I'd be the first in line. I'd paid $200 for that!!!! I'm guessing the 5.1 they are releasing are going to be Bluray like MP Dlx Ed. Do they even do DVD or SACD audio discs anymore?

i see why you guys aren't interested in these, but for a younger fan like me, im definitely asking for them for christmas. the only Rush CDs i have are 2112, permanent waves, moving pictures, Gold, retrospective 3 and snakes and arrows. with 3 5.1 DVDs included, it's a no-brainer for me.

QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Nov 5 2011, 03:13 AM)
i see why you guys aren't interested in these, but for a younger fan like me, im definitely asking for them for christmas. the only Rush CDs i have are 2112, permanent waves, moving pictures, Gold, retrospective 3 and snakes and arrows. with 3 5.1 DVDs included, it's a no-brainer for me.

Let us know how they sound.

I'm just glad that they're getting some of the albums properly remastered. Though the 97 remasters were great, the possibilities of technology today would really do the albums justice.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 5 2011, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Nov 5 2011, 04:41 AM)
I am going to wait until every cds comes in 5.1

What will you do if right after you get them they unleash a new 6.1 format?

tongue.gif

DTS_HD 5.1 is enough, i don't have much more ears...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 5 2011, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Nov 5 2011, 04:41 AM)
I am going to wait until every cds comes in 5.1

What will you do if right after you get them they unleash a new 6.1 format?

tongue.gif

Wasn't 7.1 supposed to be the Next Big Thing years ago? I remember from when I was really into PC-based video games, some speaker and sound card vendors were hyping 7.1. I'm not sure it ever took off, and I haven't seen it in home theater situations at all.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 5 2011, 06:39 PM)
I'm just glad that they're getting some of the albums properly remastered. Though the 97 remasters were great, the possibilities of technology today would really do the albums justice.

The 97 remasters were an abomination. Brickwalled and beyond loud with zero dynamic range. There are several other earlier masterings that blow them away.

So these are newly remastered?

I am very hesitant to make this purchase. I do like the nice packaging and am a sucker for box set's of my favorite bands and when it comes to Rush....I give in as I have every single release save for Rush Gold and Working Men.

I will wait to get a good overall feel from the audiophile community to see if these remasters are worth the heavy price tag of $50 a sector.

Edited by Todem