Tony MacAlpine

EmotionDetector

So, while I was watching an episode of 'That Metal Show' the other day, there was this guy playing some sick guitar in between breaks. At the end of the show...Eddie Trunk mentioned that everyone should go check out 'Tony MacAlpine'.

So, I looked him up...turns out he's been around for a long time. He has 13 solo albums, plus a bunch of other collaborations as well.

I've been listening to a bunch of his stuff on YouTube, and I must say...I'm impressed! He's another instrumentalist in the same vein of guys like Satriani, Vai, and Malmsteen.

I'm really digging alot of his stuff right now! 1022.gif

Has anyone heard of him before? Or have any of his records??

I have an old issue of Guitar World from '87, with him on the cover. They were talking about how he was going to be the future of technical guitar playing. He has some good stuff. I think Billy Sheehan has played on his solo albums, and he toured with Vai playing keys. He is a classically trained keyboardist as well.

It does seem like he's been around forever. He's one of those guys who I've always known about and heard great things but never checked out. He's played with Vai, too. And, if I'm not mistaken, he's done something with Vinnie Moore.

He also played guitar on Planet X. I think in one of his DVDs Steve Vai says that "I should actually be playing keyboards or base guitar in HIS band!!!".

If you like guitar heroes, I recommend you check out an album called "Tilt", with Ritchie Kotzen and Greg Howe. Guitar shread to the max!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Oct 18 2011, 08:09 AM)

Have I heard of him? I bought Edge of Insanity back in 1986...

I was a big fan of him in the late 80s, when I was in a neo-classical rock phase and I got a few more of his solo albums.

I also got MARS Driver project then too which is only so-so, and he also played keyboards on Vinnie Moore's first album, Jordan Rudess was on the second one.

I've also got a few CAB albums which features Tony in a jazz fusion setting.

The last album I bought featuring Tony Mac was terrible though, a metal band project with Mark Boals and Virgil Donati called Seven the Hardway. A seven string downtuned abortion of an album, avoid it.

I've seen Tony live as well playing guitar and keyboards in the Steve Vai band...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 18 2011, 12:25 PM)

I was a big fan of him in the late 80s, when I was in a neo-classical rock phase and I got a few more of his solo albums.

I also got MARS Driver project then too which is only so-so, and he also played keyboards on Vinnie Moore's first album, Jordan Rudess was on the second one.

The last album I bought featuring Tony Mac was terrible though, a metal band project with Mark Boals and Virgil Donati called Seven the Hardway. A seven string downtuned abortion of an album, avoid it.

I've seen Tony live as well playing guitar and keyboards in the Steve Vai band...

i did not know tony played with Vai. i thought maybe you guys were talking about mike keneally, who also played keys and guitars.

i like what i have heard from tony but don't own any of his stuff.

if you are into instrumental guitar music the fresh new superstar is tosin abasi of animals as leaders.

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 18 2011, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 18 2011, 12:25 PM)

i did not know tony played with Vai. i thought maybe you guys were talking about mike keneally, who also played keys and guitars.

i like what i have heard from tony but don't own any of his stuff.

if you are into instrumental guitar music the fresh new superstar is tosin abasi of animals as leaders.

Yeah Tony was in Vai's band for a few years after Mike left.

I've been into Tony MacAlpine since "Edge Of Insanity" back in 1985. I have about 8 albums with his guitar work; solo, band, and other projects. He also played keyboards on quite a few Shrapnel recordings for fellow shredders like Vinnie Moore and Joey Taffola.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 18 2011, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 18 2011, 09:44 PM)
I totally dig Tony.  My favorite album is "Maximum Security" featuring George Lynch on a few tunes.

The record RIPS!!    1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

Jeff Watson is on that album too...

trink36.gif

I love Night Ranger!!

Deen Castronovo is on the drums too.

He is the only talent left in Journey next to Neal Schon.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Oct 18 2011, 03:01 PM)
And, if I'm not mistaken, he's done something with Vinnie Moore.

He played keyboards on Vinnie's "mind's eye" (1986).

Listen to his solo on the opening track "in control" (around 2'10"):

Vinnie and MacAlpine were my favorite shredders of the Mike Varney's factory.

Edited by tontonfranck