True Or False! Neil's Lyrics On Anagram(For Mongo)

RUSHHEAD666

Peart's Lyrics on "Anagram (For Mongo)" Are Hotter Than "Blazing Saddles!"  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Peart's Lyrics on "Anagram (For Mongo)" Are Hotter Than "Blazing Saddles!"

• True! I absolutely love these brilliant lyrics based on anagrams!
    • False!! These lyrics suck!! A fifth grader could write them! Besides the song sucks!
    • Forget "Anagram (For Mongo)!" I would rather watch "Blazing Saddles!"

As an English Major who can't spell "rumours" right I must say that the lyrics to "Anagram (For Mongo) have always inspired me. I think they are some of Neil's best. I bet some of you think they are terrible and tacky. Quite the "bile act!" LOL

"Anagram (For Mel Brooks)"

There's a snake coming out of the darkness

Parade from paradise

End the need for eden

Chase the dreams of merchandise

There is tic after toc in atomic

Leaders make a deal

The cosmic is largely comic

A con they couldn't conceal

There is no safe seat at the feast

Take your best stab at the beast

The night is turning thin

The saint is turning to sin

Raiser the art to resistance

Danger dare to be grand

Pride reduced to humble pie

Diamonds down to sand

Take heart from earth and weather

The brightness of new birth

Take heart from the harvest

Shave the harvest from the earth

Reasoning is partly insane

Image just an eyeless game

Miracles will have their claimers

More will bow to Rome

He and she are in the house

But there's only me at home

Rose is a rose of splendor

Posted to respond in the end

Lonely things like nights,

I find, end finer with a friend

I hear in the rate of her heart

A tear in the heat of the art

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

There are a few lyrics that I just love, and it's about both the words and their delivery. Most of my favorites are from Presto, actually. In this song, it's "the cosmic is largely comic" because it works on a few levels. Also, "reasoning is partly insane" for many of the same reasons.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 15 2011, 10:49 PM)
There are a few lyrics that I just love, and it's about both the words and their delivery. Most of my favorites are from Presto, actually. In this song, it's "the cosmic is largely comic" because it works on a few levels. Also, "reasoning is partly insane" for many of the same reasons.

Yes, and I think the "end the need for Eden" lyric is quite profound.

Perhaps more proof that Neil is an atheist?

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 15 2011, 11:34 PM)
I will never understand why Rush never wanted to play "Available Light" live!

Geddy nailed it vocally and on the bass in the studio.

Operative words being "in the studio" perhaps? Not sure if Ged could pull that note off every night. Most probably HE didn't think he could.... wink.gif

Someone who used to be on TRF who shall remain nameless - but his name rhymes with nosy bows - once said that Anagram didn't have any. Trust me, a longtime word and word puzzle lover, when I say that it certainly does. Yes, there are some words that don't use all of the letters of the word but, unless one is as uptight as a beaver's butt, they are casually accepted. Technically, the only true anagrams are danger/grand, heart/earth, miracles/claimers, more/Rome and things/nights. But that doesn't make these lyrics any less astounding.

I'm with you on this song and all of Presto. This is in my top 5 (and my car at the moment). The title tune is one of my all-time favorites. I just recently learned to play it and I'm so happy. Somebody here linked to himself playing it and watching him really made it click for me. biggrin.gif

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 16 2011, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 15 2011, 11:34 PM)
I will never understand why Rush never wanted to play "Available Light" live!

Geddy nailed it vocally and on the bass in the studio.

Operative words being "in the studio" perhaps? Not sure if Ged could pull that note off every night. Most probably HE didn't think he could.... wink.gif

Someone who used to be on TRF who shall remain nameless - but his name rhymes with nosy bows - once said that Anagram didn't have any. Trust me, a longtime word and word puzzle lover, when I say that it certainly does. Yes, there are some words that don't use all of the letters of the word but, unless one is as uptight as a beaver's butt, they are casually accepted. Technically, the only true anagrams are danger/grand, heart/earth, miracles/claimers, more/Rome and things/nights. But that doesn't make these lyrics any less astounding.

I'm with you on this song and all of Presto. This is in my top 5 (and my car at the moment). The title tune is one of my all-time favorites. I just recently learned to play it and I'm so happy. Somebody here linked to himself playing it and watching him really made it click for me. biggrin.gif

I agree with you. Some songs sadly must remain in the studio forever.

"Available Light" is one of them.

Geddy fukking nails that song vocally but live every other night? There is no way in Hell.

When I first heard "Available Light" in my black MR2 in 1989 it sent chills down my spine.

I remember leaving my junior college early to hit Tower Records in the morning on some Tuesday back then. I picked up "Presto" on cassette and popped that album into my Alpine deck. Fell in love instantly. "Chain Lightning" was another one I always wanted to see live. Must have been a backwards guitar solo eh?

I can't believe I actually had an MR2 back then. Oh well the chicks loved it.

wink.gif

HowItIs is telling it HowItIsnt, most of the anagrams in Anagram aren't, they are puns and plays-on-words.

Oh, and bring back Nick. This forum needs some more balance on matters of a Peart nature.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 16 2011, 01:50 AM)
HowItIs is telling it HowItIsnt, most of the anagrams in Anagram aren't, they are puns and plays-on-words.

Oh, and bring back Nick. This forum needs some more balance on matters of a Peart nature.

laugh.gif

I think you have a point here Tony!!

I love these lyrics even more now.

They contain anagrams, puns, and play on words!

That was probably Neil's point!

We the fan have been fooled again. Hook Line and Thinker!!

Damn, I miss Cosy Toes.

I have no idea what he did wrong to get banned.

All I remember is that he loved to tell stories about his daddy.

His avatar had some goofy looking rainbow socks too.

Hell at first I though Nick was a chick.

Aye, such is Forum Life.......................

Glad I have a hot wife.

At the end of the day, RUSH RULES!!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Oct 16 2011, 03:02 AM)
I believe it was because he flamed someone directly after he was told by an admin to stop unsure.gif

yes.gif That's what I remember. And this Forum is better off without anyone who simply wants to be ugly and nasty and attack people.

There most certainly are anagrams in the song. I actually posted which one were the "true" anagrams. Besides, they're supposed to name the song "Anagrams, Puns and Plays on Words"? The title itself is an inside joke.

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 16 2011, 11:26 AM)
I believe it was because he flamed someone directly after he was told by an admin to stop unsure.gif

yes.gif That's what I remember. And this Forum is better off without anyone who simply wants to be ugly and nasty and attack people.

There most certainly are anagrams in the song. I actually posted which one were the "true" anagrams. Besides, they're supposed to name the song "Anagrams, Puns and Plays on Words"? The title itself is an inside joke.

Yes, but being flamed by Nick is like being savaged by a sheep. One with its tongue planted firmly in cheek at that.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 16 2011, 03:34 AM)

Yes, but being flamed by Nick is like being savaged by a sheep. One with its tongue planted firmly in cheek at that.

I didn't see that, sorry. He may be a very nice guy IRL but his hatred of Neil colored everything he did here sad.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 16 2011, 11:36 AM)

I didn't see that, sorry. He may be a very nice guy IRL but his hatred of Neil colored everything he did here sad.gif

Sigh. You "get" Anagram, but you don't "get" Nick. That's a need issue on your part, don't you see that? You want and need to get the Rush joke but have no need for Nick so your view of him is coloured.

Nick has no hatred for Peart. Disdain maybe, based on a real life encounter but it's all in jest. I think the Admin team found him more high maintenance than anything.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 16 2011, 04:49 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 16 2011, 02:34 AM)
I've searched all his posts, pulled out all the stops and have found not one instance to support the Admin stance.

That sucks Tony. I guess he was a victim of "Circumstances."

Bummer.

It was telling another member to "eat shit" that was his last straw.

Awesome thread! I've always had a fondness for this song, and thanks to this thread I didn't realize there was as much cool anagramy stuff going on as there is. This is a really good 80's Rush tune, and the piano break in lieu of guitar solo fits very nicely. Love your 2.gif spirit Earl! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 16 2011, 06:55 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 16 2011, 11:36 AM)

Sigh. You "get" Anagram, but you don't "get" Nick. That's a need issue on your part, don't you see that? You want and need to get the Rush joke but have no need for Nick so your view of him is coloured.

Nick has no hatred for Peart. Disdain maybe, based on a real life encounter but it's all in jest. I think the Admin team found him more high maintenance than anything.

Or maybe she genuinely doesn't understand why Cozy was such a troll and a flamer. confused13.gif

I don't.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Oct 16 2011, 12:58 PM)
I've searched all his posts, pulled out all the stops and have found not one instance to support the Admin stance.

Bummer.

Because that's a real outrage, isnt it?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Oct 16 2011, 04:58 AM)

Bummer.

Ouch! No personal insults allowed in Forumland!

I've read worse though.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 16 2011, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Oct 16 2011, 12:58 PM)

Bummer.

Because that's a real outrage, isnt it?

confused13.gif

With Nick, it's never any one post. That's all I'll say, because this thread is about the awfulness that is "Anagram." wink.gif