rare test pressing

sdaly

Hey Folks,

Do any of the Rush collectors on here happen to have any TEST PRESSINGS? If so, I'm curious to hear how much these things tend to sell for.

I have a friend who has an extremely rare test pressing (almost certainly a one-of-a-kind item). It's a 12" test pressing of "Distant Early Warning". One side is from an Analog recording source and the B side is from an early digital recorded source ("JVC"). This is pre-mastered, to see which sounded better, from Le Studio (1984). Two versions of each, flat and with EQ. The date on the pressing is "2/6/84" (from Masterdisk Corporation).

He is contemplating selling it, and just curious as to the market...

thanks,

-Skip

Edited by sdaly

I have one, but I couldn't tell you the going market value. I've never played it, and the only reason I have it is because I found it for a couple of bucks at a record show. Did I get ripped off, or did the vendor? Time will tell. One of these decades, I'll get a record player and find out.

QUOTE (sdaly @ Oct 14 2011, 04:41 PM)
Are you saying you have this SAME test pressing? Or a test pressing of something else?

I doubt it's the same, as mine isn't labeled, while yours seems to be. To be honest, I can't even verify that it's Rush on there; that's just what it says on it. If I got ripped off, it was only to the tune of like $4, so I won't cry too hard. If it winds up being worth thousands, good for me (highly doubt it).

Here's mine:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk96/kbomb106/DSCF1607.jpg

My understanding of test pressings is that everytime you play it you degrade the quality... not sure why or how... but wanted to throw that out there for you to research before you actually play it/them.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that.

QUOTE (gabpower @ Oct 19 2011, 12:41 PM)
@kbomb : what's on the matrix around the label?

I didn't think there was a matrix number on it, but upon closer inspection while holding it up to the light, I found (handwritten) 884 191 7 2 58580 ES...or at least that's the best I can make out of it.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Oct 19 2011, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (gabpower @ Oct 19 2011, 12:41 PM)
@kbomb : what's on the matrix around the label?

I didn't think there was a matrix number on it, but upon closer inspection while holding it up to the light, I found (handwritten) 884 191 7 2 58580 ES...or at least that's the best I can make out of it.

Catalog: 884 191-7 is the code for 'The Big Money'/'Red Sector A (live)' 7"

Specifically:

Matrix / Runout (Label Side A): 2-58580

Matrix / Runout (Label Side B): 2-58600

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Oct 19 2011, 03:01 PM)
It's 58580 on both sides, so far as I can tell.  It could just be bad handwriting, but they both look like 5s.

no, that makes sense

some test pressings have 'double 'A' sides, for a few reasons:

> one side recorded 'flat' (without EQ) and one side with the proposed EQ

- or -

> the test pressing is the DJ (radio) version (which are typically A/A sides, same song both sides)

^ I'd assume the latter in this case

Edited by ghostworks

I've never seen that 45 before -- Nice find!

I've got a 12 inch test pressing of either side 1 of Signals or Grace Under Pressure (can't recall which at the moment). The other side is flat/ungrooved/not pressed.

Whenever I run across them, which is not often. it's either Signals or Grace Under Pressure.

I've never played mine either despite dying to know if the mix is somehow different.

Thats what I was THINKING (acetate) when I read Test pressing!

dain Brammage