Get To Know Neil Peart(from his books)

presto123

Neil thinks Florida is the rudest state in the nation by far.

Neil owned an expensive sailboat and would take cast and crew on drunken sailing adventures.

Someone got past security and got on Neil's bus after a show for an autograph and Neil charged them and knocked them on their arse.

There was a movie that was going to be made about Neil's life partly by Buddy Rich's daughter but she went too far on the research(too personal) and Neil scrapped the idea.

Your turn????

Edited by presto123

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod hat on:

Let's not turn this into an open invitation for Neil bashing.

Thanks. smile.gif

This is puerile and childish crap. You don't know the first thing about Neil - who he is, how he feels about fans, what he does. So just knock it off. You are showing nothing but your ignorance and jealousy. Find someone else to rag on, buddy. Because if you rag on Neil just because you think you know him, I'm going to be in your face. angry.gif

No offense OP, but they sound like half facts or slightly hazy recollection of what you read. I believe the Florida quote had to do with drivers. Neil didn't knock anyone on their ass. I read all his books and I don't recall a drunken sailboat story. The movie thing had to do with bringing Ghost Rider to the screen, but Neil wasn't interested. Would be nice if you would quote Neil or provide sources.

The sailing did happen. Neil owned a sailboat for a short while in the mid-late 80's, called The Orianda.

In Roadshow, he has an anecdote about a day out sailing with Alex and Geddy. (Alex came up with his own unique sailing terminology, like calling the main boom the "head-smasher log", laugh.gif ). That was the day Alex and Geddy came up with the "secret names" for the three of them (and no, Neil doesn't say what they are). Alcohol was involved but I didn't get the impression that anyone was falling-over-the-side drunk. And Neil did have a professional crew onboard; presumably they were sober.

The band had some security issues in Florida, and Neil is none too fond of the police there, especially after Alex's incident.

Neil is not a "dick". He is a private man who happens to be in the spot light. Just because he is a master at his craft and you want to get to know him, in no way obligates him to become your best friend. Enjoy the music and leave it at that. His opinions are just that opinions, if you do not agree with them that is fine but to bash him for having them is crazy. he is a person, not a puppet.

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Oct 12 2011, 07:37 AM)
No offense OP, but they sound like half facts or slightly hazy recollection of what you read. I believe the Florida quote had to do with drivers. Neil didn't knock anyone on their ass. I read all his books and I don't recall a drunken sailboat story. The movie thing had to do with bringing Ghost Rider to the screen, but Neil wasn't interested. Would be nice if you would quote Neil or provide sources.

No offense but hazy recollection? I have read that Roadshow book probably ten times through. I can almost quote it I know it so well. This thread was not meant for Neil bashing I have a newfound respect for Neil after reading some of his books. Lets hear some positive facts like Neil will give strangers money who are stranded out on the road. The thing with Florida has way more to do with than the drivers. He calls it a Police State. The Police are way more aggressive and even unlawful at many times. Neil did knock an intruder on their ass who found his way onto the tour bus in Europe. Do your homework please. The guy deserved it as he invaded Neil's "home" and was claiming to come all the way from Russia and wouldn't just leave the bus. Neil felt bad about it and even helped gather up the guys LP's that had scattered across the floor of the bus. I didn't mean to imply EVERYBODY was drunk on the sailboat. They had good times is all. I think Ged and Alex were probably the ones that were drunk. LOL And lastly Neil WAS going to let the project go through but people starting contacting Selena's ex-boyfriends and such and crossed a line with Neil. I think maybe you need to read it again. Sorry if anybody took this thread the wrong way but I was really hoping this would be a positive thread because I enjoyed Roadshow more than you know. Here's a few more:

Neil used to bike as much as 100 miles at a time and once had to walk his bicycle the last 10 miles because of a flat tire.(his patching glue had dried up from the Canadian winter) NO cell phone then. LOL

Neil loves strawberry milkshakes and will sometimes go far out of his way to get a good one.

Neil suggested to Nicolas Cage that maybe he should get an acting coach or branch out and do other things as Nic thought his acting skills were slipping and he was in a rut. Nicolas invited Neil to drive any of his many sports cars when he had the time to do so.

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Oct 12 2011, 10:43 AM)

No offense but hazy recollection? I have read that Roadshow book probably ten times through. I can almost quote it I know it so well. This thread was not meant for Neil bashing I have a newfound respect for Neil after reading some of his books. Lets hear some positive facts like Neil will give strangers money who are stranded out on the road. The thing with Florida has way more to do with than the drivers. He calls it a Police State. The Police are way more aggressive and even unlawful at many times. Neil did knock an intruder on their ass who found his way onto the tour bus in Europe. Do your homework please. The guy deserved it as he invaded Neil's "home" and was claiming to come all the way from Russia and wouldn't just leave the bus. Neil felt bad about it and even helped gather up the guys LP's that had scattered across the floor of the bus. I didn't mean to imply EVERYBODY was drunk on the sailboat. They had good times is all. I think Ged and Alex were probably the ones that were drunk. LOL And lastly Neil WAS going to let the project go through but people starting contacting Selena's ex-boyfriends and such and crossed a line with Neil. I think maybe you need to read it again.

Okay, but it doesn't make much sense when all you say is Neil thinks Florida is the rudest state. You did imply Neil was sailing drunk (i.e. wheel in one hand, macallan in the other). I do now recall the bus incident, after you expanded on it. The movie was to be a screen version of Ghost Rider, not a movie about Neil's life. That's what I meant about half truths and slightly hazy recollections.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 12 2011, 08:32 AM)
This is puerile and childish crap. You don't know the first thing about Neil - who he is, how he feels about fans, what he does. So just knock it off. You are showing nothing but your ignorance and jealousy. Find someone else to rag on, buddy. Because if you rag on Neil just because you think you know him, I'm going to be in your face. angry.gif

goodpost.gif

Yeah, and unruly bravado is awesome too. laugh.gif

By the way, exactly how do you know what anyone's "face" looks like on an internet forum? Or where they live so that you could "get in it"?

Perhaps a better option is to just back away from the screen, and calm down. yes.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Oct 12 2011, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Oct 12 2011, 10:43 AM)

No offense but hazy recollection? I have read that Roadshow book probably ten times through. I can almost quote it I know it so well. This thread was not meant for Neil bashing I have a newfound respect for Neil after reading some of his books. Lets hear some positive facts like Neil will give strangers money who are stranded out on the road. The thing with Florida has way more to do with than the drivers. He calls it a Police State. The Police are way more aggressive and even unlawful at many times. Neil did knock an intruder on their ass who found his way onto the tour bus in Europe. Do your homework please. The guy deserved it as he invaded Neil's "home" and was claiming to come all the way from Russia and wouldn't just leave the bus. Neil felt bad about it and even helped gather up the guys LP's that had scattered across the floor of the bus. I didn't mean to imply EVERYBODY was drunk on the sailboat. They had good times is all. I think Ged and Alex were probably the ones that were drunk. LOL And lastly Neil WAS going to let the project go through but people starting contacting Selena's ex-boyfriends and such and crossed a line with Neil. I think maybe you need to read it again.

Okay, but it doesn't make much sense when all you say is Neil thinks Florida is the rudest state. You did imply Neil was sailing drunk (i.e. wheel in one hand, macallan in the other). I do now recall the bus incident, after you expanded on it. The movie was to be a screen version of Ghost Rider, not a movie about Neil's life. That's what I meant about half truths and slightly hazy recollections.

I will stick by the Florida thing. He was referring to the general public as well. He says in most states 9 out of 10 people are hospitable and nice but in Florida he would put that ratio at maybe 8 out of 10. Not a huge difference but he says a noticeable difference. Ghost Rider era was part of Neil's life so that would be a movie about his life. I never said a movie about his WHOLE life. Never implied the captain of the sailboat was drunk. My facts were meant to be funny and entertaining but I guess not when people take them in the wrong context. It's all good. I will explain them better in the future.

The tour bus he leased for the R30 tour NA leg had bedbugs.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 12 2011, 09:43 AM)
This is puerile and childish crap. You don't know the first thing about Neil - who he is, how he feels about fans, what he does. So just knock it off. You are showing nothing but your ignorance and jealousy. Find someone else to rag on, buddy. Because if you rag on Neil just because you think you know him, I'm going to be in your face.  angry.gif

Yeah, and unruly bravado is awesome too. laugh.gif

By the way, exactly how do you know what anyone's "face" looks like on an internet forum? Or where they live so that you could "get in it"?

Perhaps a better option is to just back away from the screen, and calm down. yes.gif

No. The OP has continued to imply that Neil is some kind of horrible human being, taking things out of context to try to "prove" his point. I say again -- you don't know jack squat about what Neil does under the radar.

Unruly bravado? Uh-uh. Righteous anger. angry.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Oct 12 2011, 01:45 PM)
Thanks. He obviously didn't read my reply. How can someone take my thread so wrong? Neil is my biggest inspiration in life and the reason I've been playing drums for 27 years. I didn't even realize when I posted those original facts that they could be taken out of context in a negative way. Wow is all I can say. I think there has been so much Neil bashing on this board that people are hypersensitive to it but this is not one of those threads.

The internets can be a strange, strange place sometimes......

FWIW, I liked the thread. trink39.gif