"XANADU" V. "LA VILLA STRANGIATO"

RUSHHEAD666

Which Masterpiece Tune Is "Closer To Your Heart?"  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which Masterpiece Tune Is "Closer To Your Heart?"

• "Xanadu" A Farewell To Kings
    • "La Villa Strangiato" Hemispheres
    • None Of These!! Give Me "Dog Years" Instead!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 11 2011, 04:08 AM)
QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Oct 11 2011, 01:15 AM)
How so Tery? I genuinely don't like Hemispheres as an album... unsure.gif

Saying this AND not liking Moving Pictures, please understand that from most Rush fan's perspectives, you not liking what's generally considered 2 of their very best albums from their very best period will cause people to question your fandom. People question my fandom regularly, but the albums of theirs I can't stand aren't generally considered their all out classics. Of course, everyone is a fan in their own way, but not liking Hemispheres and Moving Pictures is pretty highly unusual, unless you're not a Rush fan. Do you at least love 2112, AFTK, Permanent Waves and/or Signals?

Are there any Rush albums you think are truly great? If so, which ones?

Caress of Steel, Signals, PeW, PoW

Xanadu. Geddy's vocals are a HUGE part of why I love Rush (if not the biggest reason), and on

"Nevermore shall I return

Escape these caves of ice

For I have dined on honey dew

And drunk the milk of Paradise"

they just slay me. yes.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 11 2011, 01:41 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Oct 10 2011, 11:34 PM)
Wow, I am frankly kind of shocked by the Hemi hate! I didn't know you could be a RUSH fan and not at least kind of love Hemispheres. I definitely wouldn't call LVS the only gem. I could listen to the title track as often as "2112"!

Trust me, Rushhead, I'm only 18 and I can guarantee you that you're not a "Yesterday's News" guy. I don't necessarily share your love for CoS but I'm with you concerning Hemispheres!

And for the record I can never see "Circumstances" and "boring" being in the same sentence. ohmy.gif

..But, um, on-topic...
Ah, this poll is SO DIFFICULT I don't think I can even vote.
I love Xanadu because it has an amazing build-up, pretty solid lyrics (though not fantastic), but a really cool vocal melody line. Also, there's some interesting things going on their with the synths and Neil's various things on his kit. It's great.

And then you have LVS, with a really different kind of vibe that's amazing in its own way. You see the problem is that you can't fairly compare them because they're so different stylistically. In the "Best RUSH Song" poll thing we had going on, I voted for "2112" because while I love their instrumentals, I think that you can't really have RUSH without Ged's vocals.

I suppose in that sense "Xanadu" is "closer to my heart", but I can never get enough of that quick bass solo and the amaaaaazing guitar solo that just makes me swoon (don't tell Neil!). There are so many things I adore about each piece.

Thank you CM!!

You are young and smart!!!

By the time you are 30 you will think that COS is a masterpiece!! LOL!

When I was 18 COS wasn't my favorite either!!

Thanks for the nice words though!!!

I will always stay "Young At Heart" my friend! Life is too short.

Signed,

Frank Sinatra

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Our wise Earl is correct here, CoS will eventually wind itself into your heart, just give it time. Took a lot of years for me to like it, I now listen to it all the time and love it more each time I listen.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Oct 11 2011, 07:28 AM)
Wow! As of this writing they're tied up 15 and 15.
Frankly I'm surprised. I would've thought for sure that LVS would be the winner by a mile.

And I would've thought for sure that Xanadu would be the winner by a mile.... whatev...

QUOTE (MCM @ Oct 11 2011, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 11 2011, 01:41 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Oct 10 2011, 11:34 PM)
Wow, I am frankly kind of shocked by the Hemi hate! I didn't know you could be a RUSH fan and not at least kind of love Hemispheres. I definitely wouldn't call LVS the only gem. I could listen to the title track as often as "2112"!

Trust me, Rushhead, I'm only 18 and I can guarantee you that you're not a "Yesterday's News" guy. I don't necessarily share your love for CoS but I'm with you concerning Hemispheres!

And for the record I can never see "Circumstances" and "boring" being in the same sentence. ohmy.gif

..But, um, on-topic...
Ah, this poll is SO DIFFICULT I don't think I can even vote.
I love Xanadu because it has an amazing build-up, pretty solid lyrics (though not fantastic), but a really cool vocal melody line. Also, there's some interesting things going on their with the synths and Neil's various things on his kit. It's great.

And then you have LVS, with a really different kind of vibe that's amazing in its own way. You see the problem is that you can't fairly compare them because they're so different stylistically. In the "Best RUSH Song" poll thing we had going on, I voted for "2112" because while I love their instrumentals, I think that you can't really have RUSH without Ged's vocals.

I suppose in that sense "Xanadu" is "closer to my heart", but I can never get enough of that quick bass solo and the amaaaaazing guitar solo that just makes me swoon (don't tell Neil!). There are so many things I adore about each piece.

Thank you CM!!

You are young and smart!!!

By the time you are 30 you will think that COS is a masterpiece!! LOL!

When I was 18 COS wasn't my favorite either!!

Thanks for the nice words though!!!

I will always stay "Young At Heart" my friend! Life is too short.

Signed,

Frank Sinatra

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Our wise Earl is correct here, CoS will eventually wind itself into your heart, just give it time. Took a lot of years for me to like it, I now listen to it all the time and love it more each time I listen.

Ditto my friend!! trink39.gif

I've listened to COS in each of the last three nights. It never gets old!!

"Marble white and pure as gold!!"

Whoops that's "Hemispheres!" wink.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Oct 11 2011, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 11 2011, 01:12 AM)

There is always a first for everything in life.

I think I need a drag and I don't smoke Mary Jane.

cool10.gif

I'll try to have one for ya'

In my world Hemispheres is the second greatest album ever just behind COS. I can't understand how someone wouldn't understand it's awesomeness. Then again, I can't understand how anyone could possibly listen to top 40 pop radio.

La Villa for me. La Villa is a top 5 Rush song for me. Xanadu would fall in the 6-10 range.

Right on bud!! FIRE UP!!!

It's 7 pm out here. Time for a brew.

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 11 2011, 01:31 PM)
La Villa is opening up a bit of lead now...

I wonder if Xanadu being beaten by an instrumental says something about people's subconscious views about Geddy's vocals?

ph34r.gif

You know me Ducky, bekloppt.gif I LOVE Ged's voice in old Rush. For me personally the lyrics are a turn-off.

Edited by nobodys hero

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Oct 12 2011, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 11 2011, 01:31 PM)
La Villa is opening up a bit of lead now...

I wonder if Xanadu being beaten by an instrumental says something about people's subconscious views about Geddy's vocals?

ph34r.gif

You know me Ducky, bekloppt.gif I LOVE Ged's voice in old Rush. For me personally the lyrics are a turn-off.

The lyrics of Xanadu are a turn-off? ohmy.gif You'll have to explain that to me!

Cuz Oh Lord Xanadu is a mighty sci-fi fantasy epic! I dressed like Kubla Khan for YEARS!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif cool10.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 11 2011, 07:57 PM)
Xanadu. Geddy's vocals are a HUGE part of why I love Rush (if not the biggest reason), and on

"Nevermore shall I return
Escape these caves of ice
For I have dined on honey dew
And drunk the milk of Paradise"

they just slay me. yes.gif

That's good stuff right there, love the lyrics for Xanadu. Every second of that album is spectacular.

I played Xanadu for a Jazz Trumpet playing friend of mine...he liked it a lot, but commented that parts of it sounded like they were practicing scales...

LOL!!!!

eta: Xanadu studio version is un~listenable to as it is sped up and not @A=440.

The ESL version is EPIC!!!!

That being said, LVS and Xanadu cannot be compared. Apples and anvils. They are both masterpieces IMO.

Edited by RushIslander