Best-sounding album?

StellarJetman

Musical content aside, which album's sound do you like the most? I'd have to go with Hemispheres, mainly because it sounds like a cross between A Farewell to Kings and Moving Pictures, and I love the way that those albums sound. Edited by StellarJetman

Admittedly, I only have a handful of the remasters, but remaster or not, there is no Rush album that sounds as amazing as Moving Pictures. The clarity and instrumental separation is stunning. I can't think of many albums by any other groups that come close.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 3 2011, 11:57 PM)
Admittedly, I only have a handful of the remasters, but remaster or not, there is no Rush album that sounds as amazing as Moving Pictures. The clarity and instrumental separation is stunning. I can't think of many albums by any other groups that come close.

Yeah, everything works on Moving Pictures. It's timeless stuff.

Vapor Trails yes.gif

But seriously....(sticking to stereo CDs here) I'm tempted to pick S&A, but the only thing I don't like about it is the bass guitar -- it's too far in the background. Otherwise it's a very good sounding album.

I have it narrowed down to MP, Power Windows, CP and T4E....

I just picked up the new MP 5.1 disc tonight. It sounds STELLAR. "Camera Eye" is worth the price of the disc all by itself. The separation and placement in the sound field is very well done.

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Oct 3 2011, 09:14 PM)
Dislike aside, Moving Pictures sounds the best to me

I'm really glad you can say that, even if I know you're not a fan of the album.

For example, I can't stand the Pink Floyd album The Final Cut, but I'd be a fool to deny how absolutely amazing the sound quality is. trink39.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 3 2011, 09:11 PM)
Vapor Trails yes.gif

But seriously....(sticking to stereo CDs here) I'm tempted to pick S&A, but the only thing I don't like about it is the bass guitar -- it's too far in the background. Otherwise it's a very good sounding album.

I just picked up the new MP 5.1 disc tonight. It sounds STELLAR. "Camera Eye" is worth the price of the disc all by itself. The separation and placement in the sound field is very well done.

Have you listened to it on a 2-channel system or on headphones? Is it still as stellar, or do you really need a 5-channel surround system to truly appreciate what they've done on that release?

Moving Pictures. The album sounds amazing. Signals and Hemispheres are there as well. I think Power Windows has an amazing clarity to it as well. Crisp without sacrificing the bottom end.

Yeah MP is tough to beat. It would be tops on my list followed by:

PW

CP

PoW

S&A -- which incidently is one of my least fave records, but Nick R did a fine job, and seems to be going that way with CA too.

Ill pick 2 best sounding, and 2 worst.

Best:

MP - Can't explain what I love about it, just really love the sound.

Power Windows - Such clarity on this album.

Worst:

Signals - Sounds so dead and lifeless to me, and painfully 80s.

Vapor Trails - No need to explain.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 4 2011, 01:45 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 3 2011, 09:11 PM)
Vapor Trails yes.gif

Have you listened to it on a 2-channel system or on headphones? Is it still as stellar, or do you really need a 5-channel surround system to truly appreciate what they've done on that release?

It comes with two discs -- the remastered CD, and a DVD with hi-res 2-channel and 5.1 channel mixes (plus three music videos).

The DVD can be played in any DVD player. Simply connect the player to a stereo receiver and listen away. And yes, the 2-channel mix sounds stellar. The remaster from a few years ago sounds fine, but this new hi-res version is clearer, punchier, more detailed.

Moving Picture

Permanent Waves

Farewell to Kings

Hmmm...what do these 3 have in common?

Analog Style and Terry Brown

It's amazing with technology being what it is how new albums really sound like crap

Rush needs to take a cue from the Foo Fighters who went old school with their latest album and it sounds incredible!

Moving Pictures

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 3 2011, 10:57 PM)
there is no Rush album that sounds as amazing as Moving Pictures. The clarity and instrumental separation is stunning. I can't think of many albums by any other groups that come close.

i agree. I love Hemispheres to death but it seems to have alot of hiss to it. Perm Waves comes close to MP.

Moving Pictures...More specifically the West German (2nd pressing) CD. If we're talking the REMASTERS, none of them sound good.

Signals - Sounds so dead and lifeless to me, and painfully 80s.

Sad to hear someone say that, regarding my favorite Rush album. The MFSL version sounds incredible.