• Learn to dance like Justin Timberlake
    • Wear crazy outfits on stage like Lady Gaga
    • Cut their hair like Justin Beiber
    • Actually Stop playing Rock & Roll
    • Appear on Glee
    • Show up as guests on Opra
    • End world Hunger
    • Stop Global Warming

Rush doesnt seem to care, and even joke about it, so I dont care.

I think they should be in on their accomplishments alone, but it seems like you need to have had a high level of commercial success, or be a pioneer of some king, and Rush really wasnt much of either so they keep getting snubbed.

They only had mainstream success for a couple short years, and they were never really pioneers of anything, not like Metallica was, or Run DMC as 2 very different examples. Rush never started any new trends, they've always just reflected what was going on around them already, and just did it better than everyone else. I guess that isnt really good enough for the hall.

Edited by trenken

I guess being together for oh 30+ years means nothing?? They have made a few$$ too. A fan base from 8-80 too. Na they aint did nothing to get in.....

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 27 2011, 08:46 PM)

I think they should be in on their accomplishments alone, but it seems like you need to have had a high level of commercial success, or be a pioneer of some king, and Rush really wasnt much of either so they keep getting snubbed.

They only had mainstream success for a couple short years, and they were never really pioneers of anything, not like Metallica was, or Run DMC as 2 very different examples. Rush never started any new trends, they've always just reflected what was going on around them already, and just did it better than everyone else. I guess that isnt really good enough for the hall.

Didn't Rush pretty much invent prog metal? Or at least had a major influence in shaping that genre? I don't recall any other band that played that heavy like that, but had so much progressive elements in their music. I could be completely wrong on that. I am young, and wasn't around that time, so I might not know of others. With that being said, I doubt that would have any merit in the Hall's eyes since it is prog after all, and they hate anything that is prog from what we have come to see.

So, I understand your point completely, I was just wondering if what I said had any significance (if say prog wasn't looked at so negatively in the Hall's eyes.)

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 27 2011, 09:26 PM)

Didn't Rush pretty much invent prog metal? Or at least had a major influence in shaping that genre? I don't recall any other band that played that heavy like that, but had so much progressive elements in their music. I could be completely wrong on that. I am young, and wasn't around that time, so I might not know of others. With that being said, I doubt that would have any merit in the Hall's eyes since it is prog after all, and they hate anything that is prog from what we have come to see.

So, I understand your point completely, I was just wondering if what I said had any significance (if say prog wasn't looked at so negatively in the Hall's eyes.)

Nope. There were many prog bands before them. One being Yes who started many years before Rush, had more commercial success, and still never got in because there were prog bands around before them! A different form of prog of course, but it had already been started before Yes came around, like 6 years before Rush's first album came out, which wasnt even prog.

Rush has ALWAYS been a band that did was others were doing, but just tried to do it better, and they often did, but that's not what the hall is looking for.

Im not trying to defend them, but they have set rules. I said in the other thread I think and exception will be made for Rush someday, but I do understand why they arent in knowing what they base their selections on.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 27 2011, 10:38 PM)

Nope. There were many prog bands before them. One being Yes who started many years before Rush, had more commercial success, and still never got in because there were prog bands around before them! A different form of prog of course, but it had already been started before Yes came around, like 6 years before Rush's first album came out, which wasnt even prog.

Rush has ALWAYS been a band that did was others were doing, but just tried to do it better, and they often did, but that's not what the hall is looking for.

Im not trying to defend them, but they have set rules. I said in the other thread I think and exception will be made for Rush someday, but I do understand why they arent in knowing what they base their selections on.

But this is a ROCK and ROLL Hall of 'Fame'

Why in the world do they keep inducting pop acts before they induct all of the important rock acts? wtf.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 27 2011, 07:38 PM)

I'm not sure I agree with this. If the hall only lets in those who pioneer trends in music most of the bands that are there shouldn't be. AC-DC, Fleetwood Mac, among others didn't do anything new or special. I'm nor saying they don't deserve to be there, I just don't see how the hall can induct them but not Rush.

In all honesty, I hope they are never inducted. It's too late to not be an insult now. Or better yet, refuse the "honor", but they are too classy to do that.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a complete joke. Their criteria are a joke, most of their selections are legit, some are a laughable joke. In the end, for real, who the hell cares. Rush is a band, they make music, they have fans. Whatever with halls of fame, and tributes upon tributes, and trophies for everyone win or lose. The whole world is out of their minds with grand tributes. Why doesnt everyone just shut the f-ck up and enjoy. Mozart aint in a hall of fame, nor is Monet. Who gives a flying f-ck.

That is all.

I voted stop playin R & R..

But, I think the only way RUSH

is gonna get in, is if they either retire,

(which I don't want to see happen),

or buy their way in, which ain't gonna happen either....

Edited by go2wrk@95974

I would say that Black Sabbath invented progressive Metal. Simply based on how they were.

One album differs from the next except for the first two.

Radically different. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is an excellent example of progressive metal.

(A national acrobat, Looking for Today, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. e.t.c)

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 27 2011, 09:38 PM)

I know Yes and many other prog rock bands came before. They had a softer sound. I'm talking about the sub-genre prog metal, though. I don't think any of those bands infused metal elements like Sabbath and Zeppelin into their work like Rush did, thus them being one of the pioneers of prog metal.

I'd say the best way for them to get into the RRHOF is to go to this address [1100 Rock & Roll Blvd, Cleveland, OH 44114] and walk right through the front door. If they have trouble finding the place they can call this number: (216)781-7625.

You guys make it sound like it's so hard when it's actually pretty easy.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Sep 27 2011, 08:44 PM)
I hope they never get in...They're too good for that sh1thole.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 28 2011, 10:00 AM)
I'd say the best way for them to get into the RRHOF is to go to this address [1100 Rock & Roll Blvd, Cleveland, OH 44114] and walk right through the front door. If they have trouble finding the place they can call this number: (216)781-7625.

You guys make it sound like it's so hard when it's actually pretty easy.
trink38.gif

I find it richly ironic that Rush aren't worthy of being inducted, but the Hall evidently felt they were important enough to display Neil's Counterparts drum kit. I think Ged's had a bass or two on temporary exhibit as well, and maybe even an Alex guitar.

The Counterparts kit story is really interesting: Larry Allen, Neil's former tech, had given away much of the kit in pieces. When the Hall expressed a desire to display it, I have no idea why Peart et al didn't say "screw you, you don't want us, you can't have our instruments." No, instead they turned themselves inside out getting the kit reassembled so it could go on exhibit.

If the RRHOF was a legitimate repository/museum of the history of Rock and Roll then this would be something to be upset about. The fact is the Hall is a sham, full of acts they had little to no influence on Rock music. Music in general...possibly, but not Rock. To induct RUSH is to water down an minimalize the enormous contribution and influence the guys have had on Rock music.

The Hall can suck it.

1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Rush has said themselves, they don't WANT to be in the RRHOF. I mean honestly, with the artists they let in these days, do you want Rush to be associated with them? Rush will be remembered for their individuality, their unpopularity, and their sheer genius.

At this point in their career I don't think they care one way or another. I personally don't care, either. I do, however, know this; They're in MY rrhof, been there for years.

Another few reasons;

they've got the best fans in rock

admiration from their peers

3rd in line behind the Beatles and the Stones for consecutive gold and platinum records

Continue to create new music

Continue to put one a helluva live show....

We all know this list could go on and on.

Instead of a petition to get them IN the Hall, I say let it rest. RS is just getting more publicity by keeping them out, anyway. They know this is the most dedicated fan base and we'll put up protest after protest.

Rush is my band, your band, OUR band, let the hall keep their nose out of our Rush.

2.gif

QUOTE (InvisibleAirwaves13 @ Sep 28 2011, 03:20 PM)
If the RRHOF was a legitimate repository/museum of the history of Rock and Roll then this would be something to be upset about.  The fact is the Hall is a sham, full of acts they had little to no influence on Rock music.  Music in general...possibly, but not Rock.  To induct RUSH is to water down an minimalize the enormous contribution and influence the guys have had on Rock music.

The Hall can suck it.

1022.gif  1022.gif  2.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

Bravo! Good post.