Storm Corrosion

Gompers

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2012, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 1 2012, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2012, 02:36 PM)
GfD??

confused13.gif

Pat!

I've been under the weather, what is going on with this release?

When does it come out?

Earl

It's out next week I think...

All these people in here therefore are a bunch of downloading cheapskate cheaters!! 1287.gif

If by cheapskate you mean I just saved money by not blindly spending money on the hopes that I will like something just because of who it is by, then you can skate me up...

I am glad I got to have a listen first... I can probably erase this off my hard drive, because it is going to be listened to super rarely if ever and will just be taking up space.

I gladly bought Grace for Drowning... And was really glad I did not waste my money on the last Blackfield offering.

We're Here Because We're Here was one of the best music purchases I made in 2010... Glad I didn't lay down the money automatically for Weather Systems because it had only a couple of decent tracks on it.

I rather like being able to have a listen to stuff before I chunk down my money for it... You can risk spending your money on something you have never heard before if you want. It used to be like that just because that is 'how it was'. You can read by candlelight too, but I am gonna flick on the light switch.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rummut71 @ May 2 2012, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2012, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 1 2012, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2012, 02:36 PM)
GfD??

confused13.gif

Pat!

I've been under the weather, what is going on with this release?

When does it come out?

Earl

It's out next week I think...

All these people in here therefore are a bunch of downloading cheapskate cheaters!! 1287.gif

If by cheapskate you mean I just saved money by not blindly spending money on the hopes that I will like something just because of who it is by, then you can skate me up...

I am glad I got to have a listen first... I can probably erase this off my hard drive, because it is going to be listened to super rarely if ever and will just be taking up space.

I gladly bought Grace for Drowning... And was really glad I did not waste my money on the last Blackfield offering.

We're Here Because We're Here was one of the best music purchases I made in 2010... Glad I didn't lay down the money automatically for Weather Systems because it had only a couple of decent tracks on it.

I rather like being able to have a listen to stuff before I chunk down my money for it... You can risk spending your money on something you have never heard before if you want. It used to be like that just because that is 'how it was'. You can read by candlelight too, but I am gonna flick on the light switch.

I pre-ordered GfD and it really pissed me off when I found it barely listenable. So I am glad I checked out Storm Corrosion first. If I purchase this, it would be merely for completionist reasons.

Flop of the year so far ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 2 2012, 02:48 PM)
Get Weather Systems by Anathema instead.

Just listen to the more difficult tracks on GfD, and you have Storm Corrosion...

I don't like Anathema, they're an anathema to rock! tongue.gif Sounds like arty pub rock to me, talk about emperor's new clothes!

wacko.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 2 2012, 09:05 PM)

Just listen to the more difficult tracks on GfD, and you have Storm Corrosion...

I don't like Anathema, they're an anathema to rock! tongue.gif Sounds like arty pub rock to me, talk about emperor's new clothes!

wacko.gif

That's because yer a feckin' heathen

Dont annoy me further, Bolton are getting mullered by Spurs...

QUOTE (rummut71 @ May 2 2012, 09:05 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 2 2012, 01:48 PM)

I think Raider II runs rings around anything on SC...

I meant, listen to the more difficult tracks on GfD instead... wink.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 2 2012, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 2 2012, 09:05 PM)

wacko.gif

That's because yer a feckin' heathen

Dont annoy me further, Bolton are getting mullered by Spurs...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 2 2012, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ May 2 2012, 09:05 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 2 2012, 01:48 PM)

I think Raider II runs rings around anything on SC...

I meant, listen to the more difficult tracks on GfD instead... wink.gif

Righto...

Some of you people are just ignorant. Being surprised that this was mellow and not some prog-metal supergroup? SW and MA have been saying as much since they started working on the album last year. From what I've seen over the internet, those who knew what to expect like it, and those who didn't seem to hate it. This will be one of those albums where people are divided. I personally like it, although I will agree it isn't something I'd feel compelled to listen to all that often. But when I do, I will certainly enjoy it. Different strokes.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ May 2 2012, 10:00 PM)
Some of you people are just ignorant. Being surprised that this was mellow and not some prog-metal supergroup? SW and MA have been saying as much since they started working on the album last year. From what I've seen over the internet, those who knew what to expect like it, and those who didn't seem to hate it. This will be one of those albums where people are divided. I personally like it, although I will agree it isn't something I'd feel compelled to listen to all that often. But when I do, I will certainly enjoy it. Different strokes.

No need to start with such a condescending tone. Not everybody follows the music news around so well. That said, I knew what to expect and I've enjoyed what I've heard so far, and quite a lot actually.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 2 2012, 10:24 PM)
I think one reason why a lot of people were expecting it to be heavier is because Mike Portnoy was rumored to be involved.

Yeah I think that's also the reason why people were excited about Storm Corrosion in the first place, and I think it's also the reason why Steven and Mikael decided to not get Mike involved, because they know Storm Corrosion would inevitably be tagged under a supergroup and that's definitely not what they wanted.

And I quote Steven in one of those Storm Corrosion press videos, "Me and Mikael saw that and we said to each other 'Run away!'"

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 2 2012, 11:24 PM)
I think one reason why a lot of people were expecting it to be heavier is because Mike Portnoy was rumored to be involved.

Actually, I never remember hearing about Portnoy being involved with the project. That would have run the project into the ground, seeing as how MP is taking a nu-metal turn in his drumming. I just can't see Portnoy work with either MA or SW for something like Storm Corrosion. Just doesn't seem right.

I was expecting this to be heavy for a simple reason: this project combines two artists who are known to make heavy music. To hear something so mellow from the duo is unexpected, but I must admit that it IS refreshing.

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 3 2012, 02:07 AM)

Actually, I never remember hearing about Portnoy being involved with the project. That would have run the project into the ground, seeing as how MP is taking a nu-metal turn in his drumming. I just can't see Portnoy work with either MA or SW for something like Storm Corrosion. Just doesn't seem right.

I was expecting this to be heavy for a simple reason: this project combines two artists who are known to make heavy music. To hear something so mellow from the duo is unexpected, but I must admit that it IS refreshing.

Refreshing in an Ambien kind of way.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 2 2012, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ May 2 2012, 10:00 PM)
Some of you people are just ignorant.  Being surprised that this was mellow and not some prog-metal supergroup?  SW and MA have been saying as much since they started working on the album last year.  From what I've seen over the internet, those who knew what to expect like it, and those who didn't seem to hate it.  This will be one of those albums where people are divided.  I personally like it, although I will agree it isn't something I'd feel compelled to listen to all that often.  But when I do, I will certainly enjoy it.  Different strokes.

No need to start with such a condescending tone. Not everybody follows the music news around so well. That said, I knew what to expect and I've enjoyed what I've heard so far, and quite a lot actually.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but when people start bashing an artist because their release is not what they expected, despite said artist saying repeatedly that it would not be what most expected (wow, that's a mouthful), then what would you call it? Misinformed I guess is nicer than ignorant.

MP was rumored to be part of the project 5 years ago, but last year it was noted that MA and SW would be doing the project without him, so it's no news that he's not part of it (thank god).

Grrrrrr.... angry.gif

"Hi,

Thank you for ordering the new Storm Corrosion CD from us.

Unfortunately the supplier of this title has messed up big time and our stock was sent somewhere else. To make matters worse the label have run out of copies of the standard edition!

The CD is currently being re-pressed and they have promised to get it to us as quickly as possible but this could take just over a week.

We will be sending your order as soon as we can and, to try to make up for the delay, we'll be including a special album poster with the CD for you.

We're very sorry for this inconvenience - please bear with us.

Kind regards

Lisa Quattromini"

The poster will make it all ok, though. sad.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 4 2012, 09:45 AM)
Grrrrrr.... angry.gif

"Hi,

Thank you for ordering the new Storm Corrosion CD from us.

Unfortunately the supplier of this title has messed up big time and our stock was sent somewhere else. To make matters worse the label have run out of copies of the standard edition!

The CD is currently being re-pressed and they have promised to get it to us as quickly as possible but this could take just over a week.

We will be sending your order as soon as we can and, to try to make up for the delay, we'll be including a special album poster with the CD for you.

We're very sorry for this inconvenience - please bear with us.

Kind regards

Lisa Quattromini"

The poster will make it all ok, though. sad.gif

Burning Shed has always done their best with me. While I've never personally had a problem with a shipment from them, they've made things "right" for some friends (I think it was The Incident SE), who had damaged merch, even though they didn't insure it.

BS is a great company and Lisa is a straight shooter!!

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 3 2012, 01:07 AM)

I have no problem with it not being heavy. GFD isn't especially heavy but it does have its moments of tension building. And I love GFD!

I'm just hoping the remaining songs on the SC album are more varied(?) than Drag Ropes. Not that I don't like it, it has good parts, but I have a feeling I'm not going to visit it often...since is so subdued.

...and, as I said before, the overall mood of the music reminds me of a fall/winter scene...so there's that, considering it's spring/summer now.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 3 2012, 06:28 AM)

goodpost.gif No trouble sleeping after listening to this

Portnoy was never a part of this project, despite rumors to the contrary years ago.

And I agree with marblesmike. I also hate when people bash a record for not being what they expected. It's like they are so annoyed that it wasn't what they expected, that they refuse to consider the possibility that this thing that is not what they expected might actually be good.

Anyway, I am still digging this Storm Corrosion CD a lot, and will be buying it next week for sure. I am not wild about the last song, but the other five are all very enjoyable.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 4 2012, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 3 2012, 06:28 AM)

goodpost.gif No trouble sleeping after listening to this

trink39.gif