Homecoming

Lost In Xanadu

So it's that time of year... anyone, or anyone have have kids going to (or have gone to) their High School Homecoming?

Apparently, the "in" thing to do here in WI (might be years old for the rest of the country cuz we're not on the coast) is to ask a girl to Homecoming in a "cute" way - otherwise they will not go with you.

My nephew wrote "HOMECOMING??" in chalk on the girl's driveway with a few candles around it. My son went into school early and wrote it out on the girl's first class chalkboard....

So is this new "cute" way of asking girls to Homecoming something happening by you? I think it is less of being a "cute" thing, and more of a product of the texting age - much easier to write it out instead of having to deal with the chance of rejection when asking face to face.

Well, the face-to-face humiliation is a risk, sure. But on the other hand, writing something out leaves tangible evidence that can be passed along and posted on FB - "Look what this loser did - he actually thinks I'll go to Homecoming with him!" Better to quietly swallow your shame, IMO.

For the record, I'd rather sign up for a class on How To Perform Self-Amputation than ever have anything to do with my high school.

I've turned down guys who've asked me to prom and homecoming, respectively, and I must say that while I did turn them down (given that I knew they would take it as meaning we would be more than "just friends") I did have a lot more respect for them for asking me out to my face. I think it is cute to spell it out, like what you said with sidewalk chalk or whatnot. I think I'd feel worse turning a guy down if I'd known he'd gone to all that work. ^^;

But still.. it takes so much more guts to ask to someone's face. If you want to use your creativity, use it on your girl's birthday. tongue.gif

I was asked to come to homecoming a few times by a few teachers whom I respected very little (one of which now runs the school). I always respectfully declined. ranton.gif I look at my high school experience as a missed opportunity. I could have gone to a great school, but I intentionally flunked the entrance exam to be with my friends at some crap public school. I paid for that mistake. That being said, the best years of my scholarly career have been from CEGEP onwards. To hell with high school, the best years come afterwards. rantoff.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 27 2011, 12:05 PM)

For the record, I'd rather sign up for a class on How To Perform Self-Amputation than ever have anything to do with my high school.

I couldn't agree with this any more. To be honest I have had it with the whole human race and wish I could opt out of everything that includes other people but what are you gonna do?

My daughter is going to homecoming this week. She is going with friends but not particularly with a date. She did go get a new dress last weekend and its very cute. They grow up to quickly these days. sad.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 27 2011, 11:05 AM)

Agree about high school.

BUT, I will be pointing the car northward next weekend and taking part in the debauchery that is a college homecoming weekend.