Nightwish

physics23

Oh and How's The Heart has grown to become a bit of a fave now. It was possibly my favourite song of the evening (although Bless The Child gave me shivers...of only we could hear Floor sing Beauty Of The Beast).

So I was eavesreading on Entre and Segue over in the RPG thread about U2, and they were going back and forth about Nightwish.

"I'm up for some new (to me) music," I says to myself, so I hie myself over to iTunes, and -- just like I did with Genesis last March -- I started with a live album. That was Segue's suggestion, so it made sense, and he named a couple, but my level of ignorance was such that when he mention "Floor" covering all the varieties, I assumed that was an album title! Since I couldn't see one with "Floor" in the name, I started with "Showtime, Storytime." (Reading the notes, I soon came to understand my "Floor" error).

Folks, I'm blown away. Early standouts for me were "Nemo," "Storytime," "I Want My Tears Back" (and did that track or Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" come first? There's some "homage" happening in some direction there), and "Dark Chest of Dreams."

I quickly moved on to "Vehicle of Spirit," "Decades Live," "End of An Era," and "From Wishes to Eternity." I've also d/l about a dozen other live shows (bootlegs) to see how they sound when all the bells and whistles aren't applied, and the answer is still big.

I've already chosen sides in the vocalist debates -- I'm a Floor guy! I get what Tarja was doing, but that's just a little too operatic for me. Floor is less head voice, more chest voice, and her vocals just feel more physical, more powerful, more forceful. I guess Anette's voice is little too . . . pop or something?

The earlier era did give me the heavy metal cover of Pink Floyd's "High Hopes" I didn't realize I was missing in my life, and a cool version of "Over the Hills and Far Away," one of my favorite Gary Moore songs.

It's big, it's layered, it's grand; these guys realize the sheer pull of lilt and lift and riff.

And now I'm bummed Marko left the band right before I signed up! It's like the cool guy at the party leaving just as you arrive.

If you need me, I'll be listening to Endless Forms Most Beautiful. Knock loud; I've really got it turned up (although I am skipping the Richard Dawkins spoken-word).

• Like 1

So I was eavesreading on Entre and Segue over in the RPG thread about U2, and they were going back and forth about Nightwish.

"I'm up for some new (to me) music," I says to myself, so I hie myself over to iTunes, and -- just like I did with Genesis last March -- I started with a live album. That was Segue's suggestion, so it made sense, and he named a couple, but my level of ignorance was such that when he mention "Floor" covering all the varieties, I assumed that was an album title! Since I couldn't see one with "Floor" in the name, I started with "Showtime, Storytime." (Reading the notes, I soon came to understand my "Floor" error).

Folks, I'm blown away. Early standouts for me were "Nemo," "Storytime," "I Want My Tears Back" (and did that track or Iron Maiden's "Dance of Death" come first? There's some "homage" happening in some direction there), and "Dark Chest of Dreams."

I quickly moved on to "Vehicle of Spirit," "Decades Live," "End of An Era," and "From Wishes to Eternity." I've also d/l about a dozen other live shows (bootlegs) to see how they sound when all the bells and whistles aren't applied, and the answer is still big.

I've already chosen sides in the vocalist debates -- I'm a Floor guy! I get what Tarja was doing, but that's just a little too operatic for me. Floor is less head voice, more chest voice, and her vocals just feel more physical, more powerful, more forceful. I guess Anette's voice is little too . . . pop or something?

The earlier era did give me the heavy metal cover of Pink Floyd's "High Hopes" I didn't realize I was missing in my life, and a cool version of "Over the Hills and Far Away," one of my favorite Gary Moore songs.

It's big, it's layered, it's grand; these guys realize the sheer pull of lilt and lift and riff.

And now I'm bummed Marko left the band right before I signed up! It's like the cool guy at the party leaving just as you arrive.

If you need me, I'll be listening to Endless Forms Most Beautiful. Knock loud; I've really got it turned up (although I am skipping the Richard Dawkins spoken-word).

Welcome aboard!

I've been a fan since a little bit before they got rid of Tarja, so it's always nice to see new people discover this band. Overall, Floor is the singer for this band. She has the vocal versatility to pull off anything in their catalog. Tarja is a very good vocalist but she was mainly an opera singer and the band would have still been great if she stayed but I'm not so sure their discography would have been as musically diverse as it has become. Both Annette and Floor have allowed Tuomas to explore more territory in his songwriting. Each brought their own special thing to the band but Floor is just on another level vocally. There is simply nobody else like her. She also has a great stage presence and is a very charismatic frontwoman. Great body language, facial expressions and always trying to get the crowd into it.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your journey with this band. There is a lot to love once they sink their hooks into you.

• Like 1

I love everything Nightwish have ever done. Huge fan of all their eras, have also been a fan since just before Tarja left, and can't see myself ever not loving them.

Saying that, in spite of all my love for the first two eras, something fell into place with Floor joining Nightwish and they have never been greater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Good quality recording from the current tour. Everyone sounds great but there is obviously a big hole with Marco not being there.

I miss Marko terribly. 

I know this sounds crazy, but it seems less like Nightwish now he's gone. He became one of my favourite aspects of the band, and vocally he's the singer who has lasted the longest, so his presence ties all eras together.

Between the less than exciting last album, and Marko leaving, I'm a little nervous about their future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I miss Marko terribly. 

I know this sounds crazy, but it seems less like Nightwish now he's gone. He became one of my favourite aspects of the band, and vocally he's the singer who has lasted the longest, so his presence ties all eras together.

Between the less than exciting last album, and Marko leaving, I'm a little nervous about their future.

Floor is coming out with a solo album and Tuomas has Auri now along with various other musical projects. So, maybe they won't last much longer. Marco returning will definitely make their future seem more certain. I hope he comes to peace with the issues that caused him to leave and finds his way back to the band. Floor seems a bit sad sometimes with him not there.

Also, what's up with Tuomas being at center stage and Kai on the side? Strange setup.

11 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Floor is coming out with a solo album and Tuomas has Auri now along with various other musical projects. So, maybe they won't last much longer. Marco returning will definitely make their future seem more certain. I hope he comes to peace with the issues that caused him to leave and finds his way back to the band. Floor seems a bit sad sometimes with him not there.

Also, what's up with Tuomas being at center stage and Kai on the side? Strange setup.

I've noticed lots of things a bit off about them lately. I mean, all good things must come to an end. 

But these days, I hate saying this, but Nightwish feel more like a brand than a band.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

yea the last album was honestly snooze-ville for me.  as a result......they've gone from a fav too i could honestly skip a new album.

Mick

What bothered me with the newest album was continuing on with the "hooray mother nature" theme. They did a great job of exploring it on Endless Forms but didn't really need to double down on the theme for a whole other album.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

What bothered me with the newest album was continuing on with the "hooray mother nature" theme. They did a great job of exploring it on Endless Forms but didn't really need to double down on the theme for a whole other album.

Yeah, it felt heavy handed. There was a level of preachiness and, dare I say it, smugness to the last album that really put me off. Normally, Nightwish can captivate me with barely any effort. The last album felt like "hey, we are cleverer than you, look how profound we are", and whilst the album was fine, moments within songs shone brighter than the actual songs themselves. I can pinpoint moments I love, but not many songs I can say the same about.

To make matters worse, Eleine and Epica came out with new albums soon after that just blew Nightwish out the water.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

oh i forgot it was a double album!!!!!! that 2nd disc is such dead weight.  god!!!!! lol

not the production on the first disc is weak sauce as well.  this was just a misconceived project all around sadly.

and poorly executed on top of it.

Mick

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

oh i forgot it was a double album!!!!!! that 2nd disc is such dead weight.  god!!!!! lol

not the production on the first disc is weak sauce as well.  this was just a misconceived project all around sadly.

and poorly executed on top of it.

Mick

I like what they tried with the second disc, but the sin is that even if you love instrumental music, nothing sticks out. It's just music for Disney nature documentaries.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Yeah, I just got into them very recently (thanks to you guys) and I feel sort of like I've come in at the end of the party . . .

Who knows? At least you have a rich discography to discover, and they still rule live! 

• Like 2

If Marko doesn't come back I can definitely see the band ending within the next few years. Tuomas's writing sounds more inspired with Auri than it did on the last Nightwish album. Perhaps that's where his future in music is. Floor is coming out with a solo album next year. If it's good and takes off for her, she could very well decide to leave too. Which there's a decent chance of since she's already well established with a big fan base (much bigger than Tarja or Annette when they were let go) and has that to build off of right away.

Definitely uncertain times for this band.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

If Marko doesn't come back I can definitely see the band ending within the next few years. Tuomas's writing sounds more inspired with Auri than it did on the last Nightwish album. Perhaps that's where his future in music is. Floor is coming out with a solo album next year. If it's good and takes off for her, she could very well decide to leave too. Which there's a decent chance of since she's already well established with a big fan base (much bigger than Tarja or Annette when they were let go) and has that to build off of right away.

Definitely uncertain times for this band.

Floor's kinda being wasted in Nightwish.  I love her but IMO she's way better than what they give her/what she does in Nightwish

Mick

5 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Floor's kinda being wasted in Nightwish.  I love her but IMO she's way better than what they give her/what she does in Nightwish

Mick

When you hear what she did with Northward, it definitely feels like she holds back in Nightwish. Supposedly she is allowed to sing as she sees fit with Nightwish. Maybe she holds back because overall it's more demanding vocally and she doesn't want to do long term damage to her voice by going all out all the time.

12 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

When you hear what she did with Northward, it definitely feels like she holds back in Nightwish. Supposedly she is allowed to sing as she sees fit with Nightwish. Maybe she holds back because overall it's more demanding vocally and she doesn't want to do long term damage to her voice by going all out all the time.

Don't forget her old band After Forever, who were basically Epica before Epica. 

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Don't forget her old band After Forever, who were basically Epica before Epica. 

I never really listened to After Forever too much. I heard them enough to know who Floor was before she joined Nightwish but their stuff never grabbed me. Perhaps my love for Nightwish and Within Temptation at the time I tried them was too strong and nothing else in the symphonic metal world would soothe me other than those two.

37 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I never really listened to After Forever too much. I heard them enough to know who Floor was before she joined Nightwish but their stuff never grabbed me. Perhaps my love for Nightwish and Within Temptation at the time I tried them was too strong and nothing else in the symphonic metal world would soothe me other than those two.

I can imagine, but AF are one of the best bands. There is a lot of DT influence in their sound. Like Epica, they are more metal than the two you mentioned.

I recommend their final album, the self titled. Her voice is spectacular.

I remember when Endless Forms came out and people were saying that it seemed like Floor was holding back but to wait for the next album because she will show her voice off more. Then she did the same thing on the next album. It's strange, Annette showed more improvement as the singer for Nightwish than Floor has. Annette's voice really did make a serious jump in quality and overall performance between Passion Play and Imaginerum.

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

I remember when Endless Forms came out and people were saying that it seemed like Floor was holding back but to wait for the next album because she will show her voice off more. Then she did the same thing on the next album. It's strange, Annette showed more improvement as the singer for Nightwish than Floor has. Annette's voice really did make a serious jump in quality and overall performance between Passion Play and Imaginerum.

It's odd because what I loved about EFMB is that it was vocally a more restrained album, that showed a side of Floor we had never heard before.

Sadly, though, two albums of mellow Floor is enough. Nightwish will always be a top five band for me, but I have no qualms admitting that last album was disappointing. I think considering how long they have been going, it could be considered a complement it took that long to disappoint me.

• Like 1