Nightwish

physics23

How did you hear it? I can't find the song at all.

Sent you a PM

Mick

Thank you!

I liked it. The first half of the song reminds me of something from Auri. Troy has a great melodic voice. I'm glad they added him to the band. He brings a good and different element to them.

• Like 2

How did you hear it? I can't find the song at all.

Sent you a PM

Mick

Thank you!

I liked it. The first half of the song reminds me of something from Auri. Troy has a great melodic voice. I'm glad they added him to the band. He brings a good and different element to them.

Definitely loving the Auri vibes. I also love that, as the lineup continues to work together, you can hear their collective styles merge together.

Nightwish has never felt this...progressive...before.

Harvest is a beautiful song, and I'm glad they chose a second song to represent the album that isn't a metal song. This is beautiful.

Also, Auri are working on their second album.

I will be honest, Noise was really good to me, but lacked something. Harvest to me is fantastic, but sounded off as a single choice.

But on Spotify, I've been playing their "This Is Nightwish" playlist, which naturally features both the new songs. My opinion on both songs has changed massively: they both sound absolutely essential played with their many other hits and deeper cuts.

Lesson learned: don't judge Nightwish just by their singles.

The same thing I had with Within Temptation and Alter Bridge last year. Both bands underwhelmed me with the singles, but then the albums came out and the singles worked brilliantly in context with the rest of the album, and both albums became major favourites for me that year. In fact, Resist may be my absolute favourite album of 2019.

Back to Nightwish, Noise has become my favourite lead Nightwish single, possibly ever. I have had ups and downs with it, but honest to god playing it, not by itself, but alongside their other songs, it absolutely shines.

I've gone from being a little nervous about the new album and back to excited.

And on a related note, Anette Olzon is bloody magnificent on her two recent albums. She blends her experience with Alyson Avenue (Swedish AOR band, from her days before Nightwish) and symphonic metal brilliantly on her new release, a project called Allen/Olzon.

This is a great time for music and my tastes, personally. New Evanescence too.

• Like 1

Also, Auri are working on their second album.

Interesting. I figured that was only happening when Tuomas and Troy weren't busy with Nightwish.

They've written a bunch of songs, and are ecstatic. I read that they plan to release it late this year, or early next year.

We have Auri to thank for getting Tuomas motivated again to write the new Nightwish album.

And I am fangirling again, but it's also clear that Nightwish right now are sounding different because, moreso than ever before, Nightwish is influenced by the entire band coming together and sharing musical ideas.

• Like 1

Guys, this albums singles had me worried. Like Elan on the last album, I wasn't wowed.

Erm...don't fear guys, play the album as a whole. Disc one anyway. It's a WHOLE ALBUM EXPERIENCE.

Guys, this albums singles had me worried. Like Elan on the last album, I wasn't wowed.

Erm...don't fear guys, play the album as a whole. Disc one anyway. It's a WHOLE ALBUM EXPERIENCE.

and i talk about Album experiences all the time and how rare it is we REALLY get one.

this is one of em.

Mick

and i talk about Album experiences all the time and how rare it is we REALLY get one.

this is one of em.

Mick

To think I was disappointed we only got nine songs lol

• Like 1

this is one of em.

Mick

sometimes the 70's was right. 9 is all you need, lol

Mick

this is one of em.

Mick

sometimes the 70's was right. 9 is all you need, lol

Mick

This first disc is perfectly balanced.

• Like 1

When has Nightwish not been a whole album experience band?

Agreed, but this album is the first time ever where every song feels like part of a whole. Take any song away, it loses something. The album suffers (I know, I skipped the singles the first time) and the songs suffer (the singles don't sound anywhere near as impressive isolated as they do within the album).

Previous Nightwish albums were great, and every song also worked like a single of sorts.

This is more like a movement than a typical collection of songs. The percussion is the driving force of Human and the album is...astonishing. It takes EFMB and evolves all the best elements of it to the next level.

It's Nightwish doing what they do best: their own thing. Never before have they released an album that feels so...whole...I'm boring myself struggling to describe what I mean.

It's in my top three or four.

This will be a tough album to market, but fans knowing the band more for their boldness than just their hit singles (in Europe, they have had a lot of radio airplay), this should be a treasure.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Nightwish I think at this point are my favourite band. Like...Lacuna Coil I love you but Nightwish...I just...

I'm speechless

Agreed, but this album is the first time ever where every song feels like part of a whole. Take any song away, it loses something. The album suffers (I know, I skipped the singles the first time) and the songs suffer (the singles don't sound anywhere near as impressive isolated as they do within the album).

Previous Nightwish albums were great, and every song also worked like a single of sorts.

This is more like a movement than a typical collection of songs. The percussion is the driving force of Human and the album is...astonishing. It takes EFMB and evolves all the best elements of it to the next level.

It's Nightwish doing what they do best: their own thing. Never before have they released an album that feels so...whole...I'm boring myself struggling to describe what I mean.

It's in my top three or four.

This will be a tough album to market, but fans knowing the band more for their boldness than just their hit singles (in Europe, they have had a lot of radio airplay), this should be a treasure.

i agree other you can take out songs and listen t them apart from the album.

this album just flows in a way that it'll lose something outside the album.

Mick

I see how I made it sound like I was putting their past work down in comparison to the new.

Not at all. This is yet another shining release by them. I think every album they have done, they do something different you never quite saw coming. The symphonic metal genre is honestly quite convoluted now, somehow Nightwish come back every time still sounding fresh and vibrant.

I see how I made it sound like I was putting their past work down in comparison to the new.

Not at all. This is yet another shining release by them. I think every album they have done, they do something different you never quite saw coming. The symphonic metal genre is honestly quite convoluted now, somehow Nightwish come back every time still sounding fresh and vibrant.

I would rather shine a shoe or polish a turd than listen to this shite.

Symphonic Metal? This is for teenagers and zit faced boys.

Give me

Helloween

Angra

Hammerfall

Symphony X

Gamma Ray

ZZ TOP! LOL!!!!!!

"Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers" blows any of this crap away. JMO!!! LOL

I would rather watch "The Shining" backwards than listen to this baby metal. My Axe deodorant smells better than this poop.

Give me

Helloween

Angra

Hammerfall

Symphony X

Gamma Ray

ZZ TOP! LOL!!!!!!

I would rather watch "The Shining" backwards than listen to this baby metal. My Axe deodorant smells better than this poop.

Some awesome bands there. Don't forget Earl, we have bands in common. I spent a whole day spinning the first five Ratt albums and loved it!

Give me

Helloween

Angra

Hammerfall

Symphony X

Gamma Ray

ZZ TOP! LOL!!!!!!

If the band is for teenagers why are there only grown ups talking about them in this thread? I have seen Nightwish six times and the crowd is made up of men and women who are in their 20s, 30s and 40s. Not many teens that I can recall.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Give me

Helloween

Angra

Hammerfall

Symphony X

Gamma Ray

ZZ TOP! LOL!!!!!!

If the band is for teenagers why are there only grown ups talking about them in this thread? I have seen Nightwish six times and the crowd is made up of men and women who are in their 20s, 30s and 40s. Not many teens that I can recall.

earl's just being Earl, lol

Anyway i have to say disc 2 of this album is EXACTLY what i thought. an instrumental peice that frankly i will have no use for. not my speed.

the main album.......it's certainly the most diverse thing they've done. i really enjoyed it. time will tell going forward how it will wear. i need more time with it.

Mick

Give me

Helloween

Angra

Hammerfall

Symphony X

Gamma Ray

ZZ TOP! LOL!!!!!!

earl's just being Earl, lol

Anyway i have to say disc 2 of this album is EXACTLY what i thought. an instrumental peice that frankly i will have no use for. not my speed.

the main album.......it's certainly the most diverse thing they've done. i really enjoyed it. time will tell going forward how it will wear. i need more time with it.

Mick

The great thing about this album is that they each work like independent releases. I feel that Nature continues on beautifully from the work Tuomas did on the Scrooge album, and I personally love it. Also, the first disc, Human, is nine brilliant songs that I really love listening too. Which disc do I prefer? Honestly, it's hard to say. I've played the instrumental and orchestral versions of Nightwish albums for years now, and to finally have a Nightwish instrumental album entirely arranged to be presented as an orchestral piece is a dream come true!

Where does the album stand for me right now?

Well:

1. Endless Forms Most Beautiful

2. Dark Passion Play

3. Century Child

4. Human Nature

5. Wishmaster

6. Imaginaerum

7. Oceanborn

8. Once

9. Angels Fall First

Human Nature is an album I need to live with, my top three Nightwish albums are honestly three of what I view as my desert island discs.

Do I have any criticism?

Nothing major, I wish their was a less abrupt transition from the end of Music into Noise. I wish that the first disc had a a little more Marko on leads, I wish Shoemaker lasted longer, and used Floor in operatic mode even moreso (don't get me wrong, I love Shoemaker)......and that's it.

Superb production, fantastic mix, the greatest percussion in the bands discography, wonderful, at times almost un-Nightwishy vocal melodies, the stripped back arrangements, the lack of an extensive orchestra has really created a genuinely more intimate sounding Nightwish album experience. The folkier side, with the more band oriented sound and the variety surprisingly takes me back to the bands debut, Angels Fall First. Songs like Pan, Procession, Tribal and Endlessness feel fresh and inspiring.

For the first time ever, Nightwish have crafted an album without any real standout: it feels like a total package, no obvious "single" tracks, no obligatory epic, no Disney moments...this feels like a whole new vibe has taken over.

I hear tonnes of After Forever in the sound. It's made me wonder how much Floor contributes in rehearsals, because her voice here is taking me straight back to Invisible Circles, or Remagine era AF and I am ecstatic about that!

And the closing number, Endlessness...never knew I needed Nightwish to do a doom metal style song, but here we go. I have it and I love it.

As for Nature, not a single dull moment for me. It was sumptuous, awe inspiring and beautiful.

I can't see Human Nature being my favourite Nightwish album, but it's not necessary for it to be. They have delivered another exquisite album that I am enthralled in. The singles didn't do the album justice at all. And what's more, the singles sound so much better on the album!

Early score for Human Nature is a 9/10. It's not about whether or not it measures up to my favourite Nightwish releases, it matters only that they delivered and I'm loving it.

Edited by Segue Myles

Mick, do you get Meat Loaf vibes during the first track because I do lol.

Disc one is very good. I can do without the go nowhere second disc though. Disc one is more than enough. All very good songs and it doesn't over stay it's welcome which can be a problem with albums today. They're changing up the sound enough to stay fresh while still ultimately sounding like Nightwish.

• Like 1

Mick, do you get Meat Loaf vibes during the first track because I do lol.

Disc one is very good. I can do without the go nowhere second disc though. Disc one is more than enough. All very good songs and it doesn't over stay it's welcome which can be a problem with albums today. They're changing up the sound enough to stay fresh while still ultimately sounding like Nightwish.

I didn't get Meat Loaf vibes until you mentioned it! Also a lot of musical theatre in the vocal melodies throughout. It's a fantastic album!

I loved disc two but that's me lol

Disc one however is stunning. Favourite song? For me, it's between Endlessness and The Shoemaker

Also, did you find the singles had more punch in context with the rest of the album?
  • Like 1