Nightwish

physics23

I love how over the top these guys are. I went through the whole discography. I much prefer the later albums.....meaning the last 3.......to anything before. They always played Impeccably. But Tarja's voice annoys the shit outta me.

Sorry just.....no.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I love how over the top these guys are. I went through the whole discography. I much prefer the later albums.....meaning the last 3.......to anything before. They always played Impeccably. But Tarja's voice annoys the shit outta me.

Sorry just.....no.

Mick

I have really grown to live the early stuff. Century Child and Oceanborn..sweet!

But I have been a fan for 10 years, I have lived with their discography for a ling time.

The last three albums have been magic, DPP is one of my all time favourite albums.

• Like 1

Sorry just.....no.

Mick

The only album where Tarja's voice annoys me is on Oceanborn. Her singing on that album always struck me as "hey, look how high I can sing, isn't that awesome!!" There was nothing more to her vocals on that album, no variety, emotion, nothing. She just can sing really high that's it. Over the course of the next three albums, her voice developed much better and she did become a better singer. I think Century Child and Once showed that she was more than just this soprano with an incredible high vocal register.

I completely get why people would like the material with Annette and Floor better though. Their voices are much easier to listen to and have more appeal to them than Tarja's does. They did record their best song ever with Annette to, The Poet and The Pendulum. I would love to hear Floor do that song. Hopefully, Floor doesn't cross Tuomas in any way and get herself fired like Tarja and Annette did. I want to see her last with them because there are still so many things the band can do with her as the singer that they haven't even touched on the new album. Which is saying a lot considering how good the new release is.

Sorry just.....no.

Mick

The only album where Tarja's voice annoys me is on Oceanborn. Her singing on that album always struck me as "hey, look how high I can sing, isn't that awesome!!" There was nothing more to her vocals on that album, no variety, emotion, nothing. She just can sing really high that's it. Over the course of the next three albums, her voice developed much better and she did become a better singer. I think Century Child and Once showed that she was more than just this soprano with an incredible high vocal register.

I completely get why people would like the material with Annette and Floor better though. Their voices are much easier to listen to and have more appeal to them than Tarja's does. They did record their best song ever with Annette to, The Poet and The Pendulum. I would love to hear Floor do that song. Hopefully, Floor doesn't cross Tuomas in any way and get herself fired like Tarja and Annette did. I want to see her last with them because there are still so many things the band can do with her as the singer that they haven't even touched on the new album. Which is saying a lot considering how good the new release is.

Agreed with most of this, but her work on Passion And The Opera, Swanheart and Sleeping Sun make Oceanborn one of my favourite Nightwish albums vocally.

Sorry just.....no.

Mick

I tespect What Tarja can do........but.......IMO....That style and metal Clash a lot.

Mick

and if there's one thing i noticed Tuomas Loves to fire people, lol

Mick

I think Floor would kill him.

She aint a push over from what I can tell! Haha

I listened to storytime and I had to turn it off as soon as the vocals came in. I'm going to give all of Tarja era Nightwish a revisit though.

I also read that "Bye Bye Beautiful" was written about Tarja... That's pathetic.

I listened to storytime and I had to turn it off as soon as the vocals came in. I'm going to give all of Tarja era Nightwish a revisit though.

I also read that "Bye Bye Beautiful" was written about Tarja... That's pathetic.

Why? He had a lot of anger towards her, and the fact of the matter is he poured his heart and soul into DPP and I have no issue with that. Besides, Tarja was never loved behind the scenes and I think years of beimg in her shadow when NW was his passion project led to the inevitable anger. He was painted a villain. He has said he regrets the songs about her, but I love how the bands music was directly influenced by their history.

My favourite album, I would not change a thing about it. Nightwish made the biggest album of their career, Tarja's solo career went from mediocre to bleh.

Storytime is great song. Love Annette on the whole of Imaginaerum.

I think my inner fanboy is raging.

Edited by Segue Myles

lol

It's pathetic because previous songs were had lyrical content surrounding more universal subjects, like lyrics based on novels, mythology, current events, or feelings as a whole... Not drama within the band itself.

Edited by Mr. Not

lol

It's pathetic because previous songs were had lyrical content surrounding more universal subjects, like lyrics based on novels, mythology, current events, or feelings as a whole... Not drama within the band itself.

I actually appreciate Tuomas when he gets personal more. Our Decades In The Sun on the new album is a case in point, he writes such beautiful lyrics, but his anger fuelled some of the bands most thrilling moments, suchnas my all time favourite Nightwish song The Poet And The Pendulum.

Were you a fan prior to Tarja's departure?

I wound'nt wanna be in a band with 2 fire-ings on your track record. lol. Just me

Mick

Floor has nothing to lose,nshe has a pretty huge fanbase of her own, with two very well respected bands under her belt: After Forever and ReVamp. I had actually been expecting her to join the band prior to Annettes announcement. Plus, Annette was poor live, many saw it coming.

and if there's one thing i noticed Tuomas Loves to fire people, lol

Mick

I think Floor would kill him.

She aint a push over from what I can tell! Haha

Floor is physically bigger than Tuomas, he's probably afraid of her :LOL:

lol

You would love the new album then. Lyrically, the topics cover the evolution of the earth and the human species. Most of the lyrics were inspired by Charles Darwin's novel, The Origin Of The Species. The last song on the album was inspired by a book by scientist Richard Dawkins called The Greatest Show On Earth.

I've got no problem with what Bye, Bye Beautiful is about. Losing Tarja was a big change for the band and since Tuomas is a song writer, the best way to deal with that is to write a song about it. It's not the first time someone has written song about a personal matter and not the first time former band mates have taken shots at each other either.

The opening line to that song is great:

"Finally the hills are without eyes

They are tired of painting a dead man's face red with their own blood"

Edited by J2112YYZ

lol

You would love the new album then. Lyrically, the topics cover the evolution of the earth and the human species. Most of the lyrics were inspired by Charles Darwin's novel, The Origin Of The Species. The last song on the album was inspired by a book by scientist Richard Dawkins called The Greatest Show On Earth.

I've got no problem with what Bye, Bye Beautiful is about. Losing Tarja was a big change for the band and since Tuomas is a song writer, the best way to deal with that is to write a song about it. It's not the first time someone has written song about a personal matter and not the first time former band mates have taken shots at each other either.

The opening line to that song is great:

"Finally the hills are without eyes

They are tired of painting a dead man's face red with their own blood"

True Nightwish fans recognise Tuomos as the heart of the band. He can do whatever he wants.

Older fans just seem to like Tarja, because as far as I am concerned his writing only got better, so it cannot be said the band were lost without her

True Nightwish fans recognise Tuomos as the heart of the band. He can do whatever he wants.

Older fans just seem to like Tarja, because as far as I am concerned his writing only got better, so it cannot be said the band were lost without her

He's the only band member I respect, really. Tarja's voice is better than Anette's though, and that means a lot for music which is so melodically based. Haven't listened to the newest two albums in full but I want to revisit the older work before that. Amaranth is an amazing song but I forget the rest of DPP.

He's the only band member I respect, really. Tarja's voice is better than Anette's though, and that means a lot for music which is so melodically based. Haven't listened to the newest two albums in full but I want to revisit the older work before that. Amaranth is an amazing song but I forget the rest of DPP.

I find comparing the two vocalists null and void. The spirit and energy Anette brings to DPP and Imaginaerum is completely down to her personality, spirit, and her vocal style. Scaretale performed by Tarja would be...disgusting...

It works both ways, but Tarja had songs written for her, they work. The fact that DPP was mostly, if not totally, written prior to Anette's appointment makes her success on the LP very impressive. She may not be able to sing opera, but based on Once, I think it fair to say Tarja was not good at pop, or pop metal. Her subsequent solo career proves that as well.

Anette was the perfect fit for those two albums. Overall though, with their bavk catalogue, Floor is the best live singer of the lot, able to turn her hand to anythig the band bring up with success.

• Like 1

I am so in love with this band, more than I have ever been in my whole ten years of fandom.

I love Nightwish, but the best vocalist debate just bores me. ...zzzzzz

Agreed. I love it all!

If they stuck with Tarja, I think the music would have gotten stale big time by this point.

Also, in the best singer debate, no one ever mentions Marco. I love his voice! The Islander, Master Passion Greed...SLAYING THE DREAMER!!

Oh yes, I love me some Marco Hietela.

Edited by Segue Myles

I love Nightwish, but the best vocalist debate just bores me. ...zzzzzz

Unfortunately, you're always going to get that talk when a band changes singers. Especially when it's a bands first album with the new singer. Black Sabbath fans still debate some 35 plus years later about if the band was better after Ozzy left and Dio came in. Same with Van Halen, most prefer Roth but there are fans who like them better with Hagar.

I know the music is what is most important but if a band gets a new singer, it really does change the identity of the band most of the time. A vocalist like Floor joining Nightwish completely changes the game for them as a band but so did Annette because she has such a different vocal style than Tarja or Floor. The debate can get tiresome, but it's unavoidable when a band changes singers.

The North American tour starts tonight. I'll be seeing them a week from now. I'm sure the setlist will be up on setlist fm after the show and will probably be posted on the Nightwish message board as well. I'll post a link to the set when we know what they played. Very curious to see what it will be. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1