Nightwish

physics23

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 20 2008, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 20 2008, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 19 2008, 09:19 PM)
Nightwish will be here in London in May...bunch of us are going to check them out  1022.gif

did you get your ticket yet man?

Barn pmed me and said he ordered them. biggrin.gif

trink39.gif

LRF, it came up to $31 Cdn with Bastard charges.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jan 20 2008, 06:30 PM)
It's gonna be TESTCON part 2! Can't wait!

1022.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 19 2008, 10:31 AM)
Has anyone invested in the new album...

"Dark Passion Play"

Its f***ing awesome!

Annette's voice is not as high as Tarja's, but its still fantastic. In fact, some of Tarja's very high vocals used to annoy me a little.

I bought the special edition with a second CD, which is just the instrumental version of the album.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I need to buy that album. It's been on my "wish list" practically since it came out.

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 23 2008, 06:43 PM)

"Dark Passion Play"

Its f***ing awesome!

Annette's voice is not as high as Tarja's, but its still fantastic. In fact, some of Tarja's very high vocals used to annoy me a little.

I bought the special edition with a second CD, which is just the instrumental version of the album.

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

I need to buy that album. It's been on my "wish list" practically since it came out.

Its on par with, if not better than, "Once" wink.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 23 2008, 01:31 PM)

"Dark Passion Play"

Its f***ing awesome!

Cool.... I'll have to add "Once" to my wish list as well. wink.gif

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 24 2008, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 23 2008, 01:31 PM)

"Dark Passion Play"

Its f***ing awesome!

Cool.... I'll have to add "Once" to my wish list as well. wink.gif

Which ones have you got?

Oooh, I love Nightwish. Annette's pretty impressive, and so is the new album. I like the old stuff with Tarja but it's nice to see that the new vocalist isn't trying to emulate her voice too much, because it just wouldn't be the same.

How was Annette with the old material?

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 4 2008, 06:09 PM)
Oooh, I love Nightwish. Annette's pretty impressive, and so is the new album. I like the old stuff with Tarja but it's nice to see that the new vocalist isn't trying to emulate her voice too much, because it just wouldn't be the same.

Really friggin good. When I saw them last year, right after "Sleeping Sun" she had most of of the crowd saying "Tarja who?" The thing that I like about Annette is that she has a voice that you can really write around. With Tarja, it was more straightforward and at times, it seemed to be limiting as to what the band could and couldn't do with the music so her voice could compliment it.

OH and I had the opportunity to interview Tuomas Holopainen back in October. You can read that here.

And it's a little late, but here's my review of Dark Passion Play: Link

BTW, those of you who are seeing Nightwish on this tour; you're gonna love it! The Poet and the Pendulum completely rules live.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 12 2008, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 4 2008, 06:09 PM)

Really friggin good. When I saw them last year, right after "Sleeping Sun" she had most of of the crowd saying "Tarja who?" The thing that I like about Annette is that she has a voice that you can really write around. With Tarja, it was more straightforward and at times, it seemed to be limiting as to what the band could and couldn't do with the music so her voice could compliment it.

OH and I had the opportunity to interview Tuomas Holopainen back in October. You can read that here.

And it's a little late, but here's my review of Dark Passion Play: Link

BTW, those of you who are seeing Nightwish on this tour; you're gonna love it! The Poet and the Pendulum completely rules live.

Been there, done that 1022.gif cool.gif

Where ya been Kazz, I've been holding this thread almost single-handed laugh.gif

Edit:Typo

Edited by rickyrob

One of my all time favourite bands smile.gif

Love their later stuff more-so than the early releases, but it's all good! And even coming from a long-time fan; I think Annette's vocals are far more suited to NW than Tarja's. Yes, her operatic style fitted the early more power metal-esque tracks, but the more bombastic, orchestral recordings of late have Annette written all over them biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Distant Early Limelight @ Apr 13 2008, 10:55 AM)
One of my all time favourite bands smile.gif

Love their later stuff more-so than the early releases, but it's all good! And even coming from a long-time fan; I think Annette's vocals are far more suited to NW than Tarja's. Yes, her operatic style fitted the early more power metal-esque tracks, but the more bombastic, orchestral recordings of late have Annette written all over them biggrin.gif

I agree. I never saw Tarja live, but the gig we went to last weekend blew me away.

I was amazed at how tight the band are when playing. I am also amazed that the band, now been in existence for over a decade, hasn't hit it off more and become one of the World's best bands.

I want to see them again already, and I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Apr 13 2008, 06:29 AM)
I was amazed at how tight the band are when playing. I am also amazed that the band, now been in existence for over a decade, hasn't hit it off more and become one of the World's best bands.

Nightwish, along with other various metal bands such as Kamelot, DragonForce (yuk), Symphony X, and Within Temptation, are starting to really get more exposure. The music industry is again changing, and it looks like metal is slowly creeping up into the mainstream more and more.

Nightwish is huge in Europe. Hell, in Finland (their home country), the president had to release a public statement about her thoughts on the firing of Tarja a couple years ago when it happened. Fortunately for Nightwish, the European market is much easier to break into for metal bands. And the fanbase there is much more loyal too. They aren't worried about which bands are the latest trend to listen to like people are here in the US. Another thing that benefits Europe is the countries are smaller, therefore, most of them are easier for people to travel to for concerts and you can fit more shows into an area. In the US, the markets are spread out over a very large area, therefore making it harder for many bands to be able to go on tour throughout the whole country. On top of that, in the US you have the music industry which practically selects and chooses which bands are going to receive airplay due to how much time and money they invest in that band to promote it. Luckily, due to the surge of the internet, many of the bands who this wouldn't have been possible for (like Nightwish) are capitalizing on that to gain a larger fanbase.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 13 2008, 01:19 AM)
Ah f**k it. Those of you going to see Nightwish in London, Ontario, I'll see you there.

Awesome dude.

I have to say I'm enjoying Annette's vocals more than Tarja's. Although I'm still a noob to the Nightwish world.

I finally picked up DPP, and I'm only four minutes into Poet and the Pendulum and I'm already in love. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif No way I'd be able to make it to London though (and wouldn't be 19 anyway, as I'm assuming it's restricted?). Either way my mom wouldn't let me, so I just have to wait until they come back here someday. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 14 2008, 08:06 PM)
I finally picked up DPP, and I'm only four minutes into Poet and the Pendulum and I'm already in love. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif No way I'd be able to make it to London though (and wouldn't be 19 anyway, as I'm assuming it's restricted?). Either way my mom wouldn't let me, so I just have to wait until they come back here someday. tongue.gif

The age restrictions on pretty much everything are 18 here. wink.gif

Anyway regarding Nightwish I'm not a huge fan. I always found Tarja Turunen's vocals were too over the top and Anette Olzon just sounds too Pop for my taste. The latter is however a pretty attractive girl. laugh.gif

If I could get past those vocals I might enjoy it more although even then it's a little heavy for my tastes musically.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 14 2008, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 14 2008, 08:06 PM)

The age restrictions on pretty much everything are 18 here. wink.gif

Anyway regarding Nightwish I'm not a huge fan. I always found Tarja Turunen's vocals were too over the top and Anette Olzon just sounds too Pop for my taste. The latter is however a pretty attractive girl. laugh.gif

If I could get past those vocals I might enjoy it more although even then it's a little heavy for my tastes musically.

Oops, I should have clarified by saying London Ontario. laugh.gif