Did Rush copy some samples from Led Zepplin?

jacob's ladder

The other night I was watching a Led Zepplin concert on TV from 1973 (it was a movie called 'the song remains the same' I think) & at one point Jimmy Paige was playing the guitar with a violin bow & it was pretty much exactly what is played during the middle of 'By-Tor'. Any idea if Rush used this from them? I also noticed a lot of similarities between Neil & John's drumming.

Many a rock band, especially during the '70's, were influenced by Led Zeppelin so it wouldn't surprise me if some sampling occurred, albeit subliminally.

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Sep 25 2011, 10:37 AM)
The other night I was watching a Led Zepplin concert on TV from 1973 (it was a movie called 'the song remains the same' I think) & at one point Jimmy Paige was playing the guitar with a violin bow & it was pretty much exactly what is played during the middle of 'By-Tor'. Any idea if Rush used this from them? I also noticed a lot of similarities between Neil & John's drumming.

It depends. The way I define "sampling" I would say no, they did not. If you are referring to lifting or stealing ideas then yes, everyone does/did it. There are only 12 notes.

I find they are only truly ripping off Zeppelin on Lakeside Park during the quiet part where Geddy sings "Everyone would gather on the 24th of May [...]". Otherwise, I would say they were just heavily inspired by them until 2112 and nothing more.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 25 2011, 11:13 AM)
I find they are only truly ripping off Zeppelin on Lakeside Park during the quiet part where Geddy sings "Everyone would gather on the 24th of May [...]". Otherwise, I would say they were just heavily inspired by them until 2112 and nothing more.

The most obvious Zeppish things are on the first album, don't you think?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 25 2011, 10:06 AM)
Oh, the irony of accusing someone of "ripping off" Led Zeppelin!

goodpost.gif

I love Zeppelin as much as the next guy (girl biggrin.gif) but they were the originators of "stealing"

On another note, why can't anyone spell Jimmy's last name right? It's a very simple word "Page" four letters.

QUOTE (MCM @ Sep 25 2011, 11:58 AM)
On another note, why can't anyone spell Jimmy's last name right?

That's a very good question but the answer has never been found and the affliction is indeed a reality. Here...I'm going to try to spell his name correctly....Lets view the results.

Paige...nope.

Payge...nope.

Paje...nope.

Payje...nope.

Paije...nope.

Pagw...Close and if you look closely you will notice that I misspelled it by a fraction of an inch as "w" is the letter next to "e" on the keyboard.

Lets try it again.

Pagr...close.

Pagd...close.

Pag4...damnit...I'm getting close and quite frustrated as well...A couple more tries.

Pagf...close..Aaargh.

Pagf....Man I just can't seem to hit that correct letter.

OK...I'm going to slowly and carefully aim at each letter and with both hands try to spell his name correctly...But first one letter at a time.

P...Got it.

A...Got it.

G...Got it.

[odifjnvowuienguiehj098gu q408jyt]02485j0uqenvouedfnv[9uen...OH DAMNIT ALL TO HELL!!!!!!

banghead.gif

I even tried to trick my brain into spelling it vertically and it still didn't work....You're right...I can't say "nobody"...But I sure as hell can't spell his last name right.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 25 2011, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 25 2011, 11:13 AM)

The most obvious Zeppish things are on the first album, don't you think?

I find it's more apparent in Lakeside Park than any of the songs in their first album.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 25 2011, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 25 2011, 08:44 PM)
I see no similarities to Led Zepplin in any of Rush's music.  A lot of their early stuff is heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin, however.

What a self-contradictory statement.

I think he meant he doesn't see something cut from a Led Zeppelin song, and pasted into a Rush song. He sees an influence there, but that is all.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Sep 25 2011, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (MCM @ Sep 25 2011, 11:58 AM)
On another note, why can't anyone spell Jimmy's last name right?

That's a very good question but the answer has never been found and the affliction is indeed a reality. Here...I'm going to try to spell his name correctly....Lets view the results.

Paige...nope.

Payge...nope.

Paje...nope.

Payje...nope.

Paije...nope.

Pagw...Close and if you look closely you will notice that I misspelled it by a fraction of an inch as "w" is the letter next to "e" on the keyboard.

Lets try it again.

Pagr...close.

Pagd...close.

Pag4...damnit...I'm getting close and quite frustrated as well...A couple more tries.

Pagf...close..Aaargh.

Pagf....Man I just can't seem to hit that correct letter.

OK...I'm going to slowly and carefully aim at each letter and with both hands try to spell his name correctly...But first one letter at a time.

P...Got it.

A...Got it.

G...Got it.

[odifjnvowuienguiehj098gu q408jyt]02485j0uqenvouedfnv[9uen...OH DAMNIT ALL TO HELL!!!!!!

banghead.gif

I even tried to trick my brain into spelling it vertically and it still didn't work....You're right...I can't say "nobody"...But I sure as hell can't spell his last name right.

Not sure if you're mocking me or those that can't spell "Page" either way, the "e next to the w" one is funny. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 26 2011, 05:54 PM)
Seriously? No one has mentioned the What You're Doing riff vs. Heartbreaker. THEY ARE THE SAME

Well, very similar. confused13.gif

Yeah. How did nobody mention this previously? I also agree about the Heartbreaker vs BB&B, though it's maybe not quite as obvious. However (and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one, either), listen to 0:53-1:00 of

and compare it to 0:23-0:36 of Song Remains the Same. To say those 2 riffs are unrelated would be (IMO) naive.